TBA rankings

milkman

Im confused ...

I want rankings to be fair for all, just like any other bowler. The youth rankings are based on youth/junior tournaments results, as well as adult results.

Now, how does one decide whether this is fair or not. The Sydney Youth Masters has now been decided by June from TBA to be a ranked tournament, however, the tournament itself is for 21 and under only.

Correct me if im wrong, but dont you lose points from your rankings if you dont compete, or dont do very well in the same tournament that you participated in as last year? How is this fair for people that are 22 or 23?

The explanation was given that those people 22 or 23 most likely will be going to the Australian Cup next week, and will get points that way. How is this fair? I cant see the fairness in it, when say a vey highly ranked 20 or 21 year old goes and bowls, happens to cut in the top 16 in Canberra, then goes to Bankstown and blows the pins apart there as well?

Come on TBA, lets have some standardisation across the board. Anyone care to comment on this?

yeh i will, that way the ranking's are done im pretty sure that was how the tennis world ranking's where done last year and they caned it because it is bloody ridiculous. I remember because i think Andre Agassi won a tournament the year before and didnt win it the next and because of that he lost the no1 spot to pat rafter.It should be just like the Tennis is this year

just my opinion

cheers Mark Foster
icon_razz.gif

I sent an email to John Coxon asking him this very question. He has told me that rankings run from 1st Jan to 31st Dec, so no final placings have been decided until the last tournament has been bowled which would be the Brunswick Cup next wknd unless of course there is an unbeatable margin btw 1st and 2nd.

I was also informed that if the Youth at Bankstown has a cutoff of u21, then it will not be a ranked tournament and he was awaiting on a response from the NSW Assoc to confirm that it is u21.

Thats very interesting Michael, because I spoke to Peter Coburn, who is on the youth board of some sort, and he was told that there are certain criterias a tournament must fit into for it to be ranked, it fails a few of them.

I wouldnt mind some pasting in here what the criteria is, so we bowlers do not get misled by tournament directors (nothing personal whatsoever against any tournament directors here). All I want, and Im assuming everybody else, is to have a fair rankings system, where everyone can have equal opportunities to compete against all other bowlers

Im raising this issue again.

The Sydney Youth Masters is only 4 weeks away, and people are still in limbo about whether the tournament is ranked or not. There are a hell of interstate bowlers who are hoping that this is ranked, so it would be appreciated if someone can work out whether it is or isnt.

Its not easy to get cheap flights in the holiday season these days, so any help would be appreciated

Milkman,

Just a suggestion. You can post your issue to [email protected]

That is where the TBA publish their info and inform information that is related to TBA.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Vi

I called both Greg Sawyer and Doc Kees about the ranking status of this tournament. I also had this confirmed by June Voukolos and the 2002 Sydney Youth Masters is ranked.

This ranking although it does not quite reach the requirements to be a ranked tournament it now replaces the farcical Youth Masters which is normally bowled at the same time as the Junior Masters at the Junior Nationals.

TBA is awaiting the advice of the Tournament Committee from the Sydney Youth Masters as to whether they are willing to make a change to Under 23. If they will not then the tournament will not be ranked.

If the change is made then this will be the first Youth Rankings Tournament of 2002.

Youth Tournaments cannot be ranked unless they have Under 23 status.

June Voukolos

June,

Thank you for the information. Please understand I am not trying to cause trouble, or push people for answers, but simply allow for correct information to be supplied the bowlers so they can make decisions about tournaments they wish to bowl in.

If the tournament goes to under 23's, then I will be there. I enjoyed bowling it last year, and want to go back. And im sure if it goes under 23's, and it becomes ranked, there will be a heap more people there than if it isnt, so I think it is in the tournament committee's best interest to make that decision, and fall in line with the TBA's standards for tournaments to be ranked.

Back
Top Bottom