Tasmanian Tournament circuit.

E

enigma_nocturnus

My post is about the Tasmanian Tournament Circuit, or lack there of. As I have only just returned to the sport after an 8 year break, I came back with the ambition of being able to compete regularly in the tournament circuit being bigger, older, and more mentally prepared than when I left as a young junior. Sadly I returned to find out that in terms of local tournaments, the Tasmanian bowling scene is merely a shadow of it's former self, and struggling to stay a float. I am writing this post asking if anyone else who frequent this message board involved in Tasmanian bowling would be interested attempting to put some plans into action about getting some tournaments going in 2002. A couple of my friends have mentioned to me that starting a tournament committee would be a really good idea, and I couldn't agree more. To get something of the stature of the Hobart Cup going again would be really good, and it's a damn shame it didn't happen this year like it was prommissed. Anybody with any expressions of interest in forming some sort of a tournament organisational committee for this state feel free to reply with your views. I really feel that if a few of us just put in the work it wouldn't be too hard to organise something. We have far too much talent in this state to be restricted to league. And not every bowler who wants to compete under a more challenging and pressured environment can afford to travel to the mainland to do so. Anyway, just my thoughts for 2002, I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this. Lets get the Tasmanian "Battlefield" back to what it used to be.
Trent Griggs
Hobart.

gday trent hows things

well i totally agree with you, but i can tell you right now that it just wont work, i mean i thought the TCBA was a great idea, i think it was 100 bucks to bowl and if you made the cut to the top 10 u got your money back. People complain that there isnt anything in tasmania but when someone wants to put on a tournament no body will support it, look at the burnie cup that was a great tournament, people from the mainland would come down and bowl and all but lack of tasmanian support made it fold in 1997 so people have tried but they have failed. I am all for a tournament curcuit but cant see it happening.

MAtt Riley

Trent
Me and Damian Crick organised a junior tournament about a month ago, it was handicapped, unsanctioned and only open to launnie bowlers(that was part of the deal with the sponsorship), we got 8 bowlers and only one of them walked away without there money back but they still took home money! We are in the process of organising another junior tournament and we hope it goes aas well as our last.
I think that if you don't have the entry fee to high that bowlers will bowl and you will get some juniors there also. I personally love bowling against the adults in tassie but dont get a chance to do it often.

I have babbled enough sh*t now so i will go i hope i made some sense to at least one person

Later Dan
icon_cool.gif

My post is about the Tasmanian Tournament Circuit, or lack there of. As I have only just returned to the sport after an 8 year break, I came back with the ambition of being able to compete regularly in the tournament circuit being bigger, older, and more mentally prepared than when I left as a young junior. Sadly I returned to find out that in terms of local tournaments, the Tasmanian bowling scene is merely a shadow of it's former self, and struggling to stay a float. I am writing this post asking if anyone else who frequent this message board involved in Tasmanian bowling would be interested attempting to put some plans into action about getting some tournaments going in 2002. A couple of my friends have mentioned to me that starting a tournament committee would be a really good idea, and I couldn't agree more. To get something of the stature of the Hobart Cup going again would be really good, and it's a damn shame it didn't happen this year like it was prommissed. Anybody with any expressions of interest in forming some sort of a tournament organisational committee for this state feel free to reply with your views. I really feel that if a few of us just put in the work it wouldn't be too hard to organise something. We have far too much talent in this state to be restricted to league. And not every bowler who wants to compete under a more challenging and pressured environment can afford to travel to the mainland to do so. Anyway, just my thoughts for 2002, I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this. Lets get the Tasmanian "Battlefield" back to what it used to be.
Trent Griggs
Hobart.

Over the past few years, several people have tried to get a tournament circuit up and running. Unfortunately, they all failed and it always came down to the fact that they could get enough bowlers interested in travelling to make it work.

There has always been a small number of scratch bowlers (mainly from Launceston, Devonport & Burnie) who were prepared to support the circuit. Only this year, Moonah Bowl put on the Moonah Classic. The entry fee was only $50 and a decent prize fund was on offer. From memory, they attracted about 20 odd bowlers with only about 4 or 5 locals turning out.

There in lies the problem. Moonah is the largest centre, has the most registered league bowlers and the biggest population base, but would not appear to have bowlers interested in supporting a bowling circuit.

To make a circuit work you would need a base of approximately 50 bowlers who are prepared to travel 3 or 4 times a year. If a Tournament Director could be guaranteed of getting at least 40 bowlers to participate, he can keep the entry fee to an acceptable amount and still provide a good prize fund. With a little bit of sponsorship, an interesting format and good promotion, a Tasmanian Bowling Circuit is possible.

BUT, IT NEEDS THE SUPPORT OF BOWLERS FROM ALL OF TASMANIA'S 4 CENTRES AND UNTIL WE CAN ACHIEVE THAT, A BOWLING CIRCUIT IN TASMANIA IS JUST A DREAM.

Thanx for that Garry, some usefull information you have given, most I already new in regards to slack bowlers being the main problem with getting some good tourns going. I guess all I was trying to do was stir the pot and see if some interested parties would reply. My Idea would be issue a proposal at the start of the year or early in the new year, outlining a brief run down of some tournaments, with rough dates, and locations. And state that if enough interested parties reply something will be done to try and make it work. You gotta toss the idea up first, before you can say it will never work, or yes it might work. A serious proposal would have to be made before anyone could look like getting something going. I personally think it would be a good idea to see if anyone would be interested in participating in a proposed Tasmanina tournament circuit that would consist of at least 4 tournaments in the year, at varying centres. And to be enrolled for all the tournaments in the calender, you pay a membership at the start of the tournament season. Make it so if you're a member, you only have to pay a portion of the entry fee on the day. If you're not a member and want to go in a particular tournament you have to pay the normal entry fee. Make it for the members, part of each tournaments entry fee is already paid for by their membership fee at the start of the tournament season. If you got people interested enough who would be serious enough to pay a membership fee at the start of the season, their not just gonna not show up to a tournament at the other end of the state if they have already paid some money. I would pay a membership fee, and I know if I did, then it would make me get out of bed and drive to the other end of the state for a tourn, and what's more, stop me from going out the night before. I did that with all the masters I went in this year, and I'm not real happy with how I bowled, so I'm fixing to remedy that this new year, lol. Anyway, those are my thoughts, don't know if it'd work or not, but I reckon it's not too bad an idea. Feel free to reply with anymore responses.
Trent Griggs
Hobart

gday trent hows things

well i totally agree with you, but i can tell you right now that it just wont work, i mean i thought the TCBA was a great idea, i think it was 100 bucks to bowl and if you made the cut to the top 10 u got your money back. People complain that there isnt anything in tasmania but when someone wants to put on a tournament no body will support it, look at the burnie cup that was a great tournament, people from the mainland would come down and bowl and all but lack of tasmanian support made it fold in 1997 so people have tried but they have failed. I am all for a tournament curcuit but cant see it happening.

MAtt Riley

Trent
Me and Damian Crick organised a junior tournament about a month ago, it was handicapped, unsanctioned and only open to launnie bowlers(that was part of the deal with the sponsorship), we got 8 bowlers and only one of them walked away without there money back but they still took home money! We are in the process of organising another junior tournament and we hope it goes aas well as our last.
I think that if you don't have the entry fee to high that bowlers will bowl and you will get some juniors there also. I personally love bowling against the adults in tassie but dont get a chance to do it often.

I have babbled enough sh*t now so i will go i hope i made some sense to at least one person

Later Dan
icon_cool.gif

welli have to agree with garry on this one, altho your idea trent is great and i would support it and i believe the north of the state would support it but you have to get the southerners to pull their fingers out and maybe start to bowl and organise tournaments down there.

I mean hobart couldnt even organise a state team challenge this year and the one they have in lanuy is a success year after year.

Maybe you have to look in your back door first and try to raise the tournament focus down your way, as i believe if a tournament curciut did get going you wouldnt have aproblem with the support from the north and north west

just my view

Over the past few years, several people have tried to get a tournament circuit up and running. Unfortunately, they all failed and it always came down to the fact that they could get enough bowlers interested in travelling to make it work.

There has always been a small number of scratch bowlers (mainly from Launceston, Devonport & Burnie) who were prepared to support the circuit. Only this year, Moonah Bowl put on the Moonah Classic. The entry fee was only $50 and a decent prize fund was on offer. From memory, they attracted about 20 odd bowlers with only about 4 or 5 locals turning out.

There in lies the problem. Moonah is the largest centre, has the most registered league bowlers and the biggest population base, but would not appear to have bowlers interested in supporting a bowling circuit.

To make a circuit work you would need a base of approximately 50 bowlers who are prepared to travel 3 or 4 times a year. If a Tournament Director could be guaranteed of getting at least 40 bowlers to participate, he can keep the entry fee to an acceptable amount and still provide a good prize fund. With a little bit of sponsorship, an interesting format and good promotion, a Tasmanian Bowling Circuit is possible.

BUT, IT NEEDS THE SUPPORT OF BOWLERS FROM ALL OF TASMANIA'S 4 CENTRES AND UNTIL WE CAN ACHIEVE THAT, A BOWLING CIRCUIT IN TASMANIA IS JUST A DREAM.

I 100% know there wouldn't be any trouble with the north and the west. I cite the biggest problem for us not being able to get tournaments going down here this year was because our manager at the time, MATT BARTLETT would not do anything to support bowlers ideas down here for various things. I wish I could swear now but I will curb it for the sake of being polite, but he ruined the doubles league me and Adam Lucock bowled in together, untill he got on the scene the Hobart cup was going ahead this december, but he put paid to that. He sacked the best Pro shop Technician in the history of techs at Moohnah( Andrew, you deserve far better than you got). And he's such a retard he doesn't even realise after he put off Andrew pro shop sales plummitted to nothing. In short, if we actually had management for our centre, cause we sure as hell didn't while he was here, everything just became a shambles. He only cared about the books, when he should have just as much cared about the centre and the interests of his patrons, for without them the centre is nothing and he neglected that. I can't say enough bad things about him. If we had management things would be a lot better. The other thing is aswell, and I'm sure you'll probably agree. While there are some very talented bowlers at Moonah, there's only really one or 2 that have that real competitive streak, to just wanna bowl tournaments flat out. I know for a fact there are a few really good bowlers here, who if asked would probably not want to travell to the other end of the state for a tournament, so it makes it pretty hard. Where as everyone who's a 190 plus ave from the Northern end all want to slug it out on the Tournament front. I say this, I can't make anyone here say they'd do it for sure. All I can do is go round all the high average bowlers in the new year, propose my idea, (I still reckon the tournament circuit membership thing is a good idea), and then see how many would be interested in doing it. If I get a few interested parties, I confer with you northern guys and then we get off our asses and start something. I really want this to happen, so I will try as hard as I can in the new year to encorouge it. I mean, another advantage it would have, is it would increase everyone in the rachuig side's ability for tournament pressure bowling which would be good. Well, anyone who doesn't already compete in mainland tourns that is. You've acheived a hell of a lot in this sport Matty, and I respect your talent, but also your experience. Experience is the main thing concerned with this, and you've had heaps of tournament experience. So give me an email if you want and help me out with a few ideas and steer me in the right direction for taking care of this end of the states interest. I will try my best but I can't do it all off my own back, I'm simply to new back at this sport. This is only my second year back.
Anyway, it'd be great to hear from you and try and work some ideas up a bit more. Email me at [email protected]

Thanx for that Garry, some usefull information you have given, most I already new in regards to slack bowlers being the main problem with getting some good tourns going. I guess all I was trying to do was stir the pot and see if some interested parties would reply. My Idea would be issue a proposal at the start of the year or early in the new year, outlining a brief run down of some tournaments, with rough dates, and locations. And state that if enough interested parties reply something will be done to try and make it work. You gotta toss the idea up first, before you can say it will never work, or yes it might work. A serious proposal would have to be made before anyone could look like getting something going. I personally think it would be a good idea to see if anyone would be interested in participating in a proposed Tasmanina tournament circuit that would consist of at least 4 tournaments in the year, at varying centres. And to be enrolled for all the tournaments in the calender, you pay a membership at the start of the tournament season. Make it so if you're a member, you only have to pay a portion of the entry fee on the day. If you're not a member and want to go in a particular tournament you have to pay the normal entry fee. Make it for the members, part of each tournaments entry fee is already paid for by their membership fee at the start of the tournament season. If you got people interested enough who would be serious enough to pay a membership fee at the start of the season, their not just gonna not show up to a tournament at the other end of the state if they have already paid some money. I would pay a membership fee, and I know if I did, then it would make me get out of bed and drive to the other end of the state for a tourn, and what's more, stop me from going out the night before. I did that with all the masters I went in this year, and I'm not real happy with how I bowled, so I'm fixing to remedy that this new year, lol. Anyway, those are my thoughts, don't know if it'd work or not, but I reckon it's not too bad an idea. Feel free to reply with anymore responses.
Trent Griggs
Hobart

Well, bugger it...I'll put my $0.02 worth in.

Cricky is right, Moonah has the biggest base of league bowlers, biggest center, biggest population base ect. They problem lies in the higher average bowlers wanting to compete. I know for a fact that this is a MAJOR problem.

Not too long ago, I started up a league at Moonah, where in ave. divisions, you had a chance to win a new ball (anything available in Australia), or bowling equipment, up to the value of $400. Now for a league that only needed 6 bowlers per division, the turnout was, well, bloody shocking!!

Filling the b and C divisions were not a problem, but A division, where the ave limit ONLY was 190 and above, which considering the conditions at Moonah, isn't real hard, sparked enough interest to get 3 entries!!!!!

Should I say anymore??? I think that explains it all. The majority of Southern bowlers need a foot planted squarely in their poop chutes!!

I know people do have trouble with travelling, and money, but if they were real keen, they would do something about it.

So while this attitude continues, I can't see it taking off at all.

And just for the record, the Moonah Classic was organised by the Trainee Assistant of the Bowl, Miss Anne-Louise Potter, who most people I think would agree, that witnessed the event, did a bloody good job, considering she had no help from other managment, and being her first time organising an event.

Let's hope it continues, and goes onto bigger and better things.

Hey Andrew, that league you came up with was very prommissing, and you did a good job of organising it too. It was a shame it didn't take off, but I think the main reason it didn't was cause the time was inconvenient for a lot of bowlers. I know the only reason I didn't go in it was cause unfortunately I already commitments on the day that league was held, and I couldn't abandon them. I wanted like anything to go in cause the prizes were good, and you set it up really well. The only reason why I didn't was due to other committments. Oh yeah, I know Ann louise organised Moonah classic, and I wasn't sledging her or that tournament at all. I think she did a great job, I mean look at the turn out she got for it. I had a hand in that too remember though. I kept on at her for ages to organise something, and instead of blowing it off, she planned it out. I got help with sponsorship from dad, Ann Louise took care of the rest, and there you have it. The tournament was a success. That got organised pretty easily with not a great deal of hasstle if you ask me. So my main comment is, if a tourn like the Moonah classic got created, and held pretty easily. What's to stop us from organising more in the new year. Because Ann Louise sorted **** out and didn't mess around with that tournament, I reckon she should have been put in charge of Hobart cup. At least we all know she can stick to her prommissed plans, which is more than I can say for Matt Bartlett. I know Aarron Franklin is as keen as I am to get tourns going next year, I could count on your name to compete in any tournaments if they happen can't I Andrew??? Come on....... you know you can't wait to pull out the burgandy hammer when your oil goes after 5 or 6 games, hahahaha. Come on, it'll be fun :cool
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif

I'd be there.....one way or another!

Lets hold a tournament....NO REACTIVES ALLOWED....nothing better than a urethane..that'll bring out the real bowlers!!

welli have to agree with garry on this one, altho your idea trent is great and i would support it and i believe the north of the state would support it but you have to get the southerners to pull their fingers out and maybe start to bowl and organise tournaments down there.

I mean hobart couldnt even organise a state team challenge this year and the one they have in lanuy is a success year after year.

Maybe you have to look in your back door first and try to raise the tournament focus down your way, as i believe if a tournament curciut did get going you wouldnt have aproblem with the support from the north and north west

just my view

I 100% know there wouldn't be any trouble with the north and the west. I cite the biggest problem for us not being able to get tournaments going down here this year was because our manager at the time, MATT BARTLETT would not do anything to support bowlers ideas down here for various things. I wish I could swear now but I will curb it for the sake of being polite, but he ruined the doubles league me and Adam Lucock bowled in together, untill he got on the scene the Hobart cup was going ahead this december, but he put paid to that. He sacked the best Pro shop Technician in the history of techs at Moohnah( Andrew, you deserve far better than you got). And he's such a retard he doesn't even realise after he put off Andrew pro shop sales plummitted to nothing. In short, if we actually had management for our centre, cause we sure as hell didn't while he was here, everything just became a shambles. He only cared about the books, when he should have just as much cared about the centre and the interests of his patrons, for without them the centre is nothing and he neglected that. I can't say enough bad things about him. If we had management things would be a lot better. The other thing is aswell, and I'm sure you'll probably agree. While there are some very talented bowlers at Moonah, there's only really one or 2 that have that real competitive streak, to just wanna bowl tournaments flat out. I know for a fact there are a few really good bowlers here, who if asked would probably not want to travell to the other end of the state for a tournament, so it makes it pretty hard. Where as everyone who's a 190 plus ave from the Northern end all want to slug it out on the Tournament front. I say this, I can't make anyone here say they'd do it for sure. All I can do is go round all the high average bowlers in the new year, propose my idea, (I still reckon the tournament circuit membership thing is a good idea), and then see how many would be interested in doing it. If I get a few interested parties, I confer with you northern guys and then we get off our asses and start something. I really want this to happen, so I will try as hard as I can in the new year to encorouge it. I mean, another advantage it would have, is it would increase everyone in the rachuig side's ability for tournament pressure bowling which would be good. Well, anyone who doesn't already compete in mainland tourns that is. You've acheived a hell of a lot in this sport Matty, and I respect your talent, but also your experience. Experience is the main thing concerned with this, and you've had heaps of tournament experience. So give me an email if you want and help me out with a few ideas and steer me in the right direction for taking care of this end of the states interest. I will try my best but I can't do it all off my own back, I'm simply to new back at this sport. This is only my second year back.
Anyway, it'd be great to hear from you and try and work some ideas up a bit more. Email me at [email protected]

Well, bugger it...I'll put my $0.02 worth in.

Cricky is right, Moonah has the biggest base of league bowlers, biggest center, biggest population base ect. They problem lies in the higher average bowlers wanting to compete. I know for a fact that this is a MAJOR problem.

Not too long ago, I started up a league at Moonah, where in ave. divisions, you had a chance to win a new ball (anything available in Australia), or bowling equipment, up to the value of $400. Now for a league that only needed 6 bowlers per division, the turnout was, well, bloody shocking!!

Filling the b and C divisions were not a problem, but A division, where the ave limit ONLY was 190 and above, which considering the conditions at Moonah, isn't real hard, sparked enough interest to get 3 entries!!!!!

Should I say anymore??? I think that explains it all. The majority of Southern bowlers need a foot planted squarely in their poop chutes!!

I know people do have trouble with travelling, and money, but if they were real keen, they would do something about it.

So while this attitude continues, I can't see it taking off at all.

And just for the record, the Moonah Classic was organised by the Trainee Assistant of the Bowl, Miss Anne-Louise Potter, who most people I think would agree, that witnessed the event, did a bloody good job, considering she had no help from other managment, and being her first time organising an event.

Let's hope it continues, and goes onto bigger and better things.

Hey Andrew, that league you came up with was very prommissing, and you did a good job of organising it too. It was a shame it didn't take off, but I think the main reason it didn't was cause the time was inconvenient for a lot of bowlers. I know the only reason I didn't go in it was cause unfortunately I already commitments on the day that league was held, and I couldn't abandon them. I wanted like anything to go in cause the prizes were good, and you set it up really well. The only reason why I didn't was due to other committments. Oh yeah, I know Ann louise organised Moonah classic, and I wasn't sledging her or that tournament at all. I think she did a great job, I mean look at the turn out she got for it. I had a hand in that too remember though. I kept on at her for ages to organise something, and instead of blowing it off, she planned it out. I got help with sponsorship from dad, Ann Louise took care of the rest, and there you have it. The tournament was a success. That got organised pretty easily with not a great deal of hasstle if you ask me. So my main comment is, if a tourn like the Moonah classic got created, and held pretty easily. What's to stop us from organising more in the new year. Because Ann Louise sorted **** out and didn't mess around with that tournament, I reckon she should have been put in charge of Hobart cup. At least we all know she can stick to her prommissed plans, which is more than I can say for Matt Bartlett. I know Aarron Franklin is as keen as I am to get tourns going next year, I could count on your name to compete in any tournaments if they happen can't I Andrew??? Come on....... you know you can't wait to pull out the burgandy hammer when your oil goes after 5 or 6 games, hahahaha. Come on, it'll be fun :cool
icon_cool.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif

I'd be there.....one way or another!

Lets hold a tournament....NO REACTIVES ALLOWED....nothing better than a urethane..that'll bring out the real bowlers!!

Back
Top Bottom