Swimming world records

should the records count ?

• yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters

bfcc

after watching the world swimming champs and seeing 45 world records broken i was thinking what does everyone think about the records ??? lots of the old swimmers want the records rubbed out , i saw Micheal Phelps coach calling for him not to swim against people wearing the new suits.

Not really any different to the records our sport is it?.......
All bowling scoring records that were set prior to 2000 are now gone. Hall of famers accomplishment are now being overshadowed by bowlers who've been in the sport for 5 years or less...sad isn't it.

But at least the FINA has had the balls (excuse the pun) to do something about it, unlike some other sporting bodies.

Found it quite refreshing that the SPORT told the manufacturers instead of the other way around.

Rob

Well this is a fine situation. I either agree with Wayne or I agree with Rob or maybe both.

I decided not to comment.

I didn't vote. The swimming world records could stand as an "equipment assisted" category, just as Del Warren (I think) suggested that reactive resin records could stand in our sport. They would be respected for what they are. Great achievements with performance enhancing equipment. Like the idea of the "Steroid Games". Just let everyone become super-human on chemicals and see what happens!

I was in Indianapolis at the 1992 Touring Players Championship (spectating a week out from my first event in Rochester) when the Touring Players voted to ban reactive resin from the PBA Tour. Only one player voted in favour of reactive resin. (He'd won two titles since it came out. One with an X-calibur and the other with a new ball by High Score Products, called the Storm.)

A couple of hours later, the ball reps called all the players back in to advise them that they had better overturn their decision or find other companies to put $4M into their tour. They played hard ball on what were known as the "Cheater-Balls". Those "Cheater-Balls" balls go straight compared to what's around now.

To illustrate how much extra friction reactive balls generate without any additional help from us, wood bowling lanes used to have an expected life of 80 years before reactive balls came along and pretty much destroyed them all in the last decade.

Golf, Tennis and now Swimming have reigned things in for the integrity of their sports. But they aren't as dependent on industry support. Golf courses, tennis courts and swimming pools are available as public facilities. Unless we start building bowling clubs, we can expect nothing to be done to restore the integrity of our game so far as equipment goes. But I am surprised that the BPAA sat back and did nothing to protect their member's investment in lanes.

The records were broken using swim suits that are currently legal and that everyone has access to. Regardless of what happens from now on they were done legally and should stand.

It is a level playing field, same as bowling is with all our equipment.

Wasn't Phelps wearing a suit of similar controversy when he went nuts and broke everything a while back? I realise it was a different suit, but wasn't exactly the same argument raised then about him?

It is a level playing field, same as bowling is with all our equipment.

Correct. Except that players must throw reactive bowling balls on blocked lanes weakly to score these days or face serious over reaction.

Swimming still rewards maximum athletic effort. Bowling penalises it.

Jason, i believe it was only 7 yrs before that the players wated normal urethane booted off the tour, no doubt with a similar reaction from the ball companies

Quite possibly, Adrian. I don't know.

But that said, plastic to urethane was an incremental change. Urethane to reactive balls were a quantum leap in ball trajectory and number of boards covered. Also the ability to use high friction covers with the same cores to get a players track off the thumb hole and make previoulsy ineffective releases very powerful certainly had a few people asking "It's great that we can do this, but is it right or fair?"

I still remember people laughing at me in 1992 when I predicted that a guy named Walter Ray Williams would be PBA Player of the Year in 1993.

I am all for advancement in technologies, but what happened at the World Champs was ridiculous. They should all go back to traditional attire or swim naked, then there will be no problems. :p

oohh i remember what i read now Jason, the players board or whatever it was called back then voted 11-0 to bin urethane, then the executive committee threw it out!!!

I am all for advancement in technologies, but what happened at the World Champs was ridiculous.

and you think bowling is any different ???? in the 80's we may have had 5 x 300 games in a year across australia now you can have 5 x 300 games in a night in 1 centre ????

any wonder why it's called a recreation and not a sport.........

Back
Top Bottom