super school - Sydney 15 -17 February 2008

Thanks for your incite Paul. Just what do you propose to rectify this situation? If the three presenters in this case were indeed volunteering their time and knowledge, with 12 sign-ups (as reported here) they should've had enough students to cover their expenses.

Sometimes, you just gotta bite the bullet and follow thru on your plans..Somebody's bound to be out of pocket in this case..let's just hope it hasn't turned them off from our sport altogether.

One of the problems that stopped me was the money aspect, yes 2 good balls equal that but in todays problems unless you are working full time or have a big bank roll i can not see anyone being able to afford the cost in short time.

Moving it to may gives bowlers time to save up, I will put my hand up if it is in may please let me know

One of the problems that stopped me was the money aspect, yes 2 good balls equal that but in todays problems unless you are working full time or have a big bank roll i can not see anyone being able to afford the cost in short time.
Moving it to may gives bowlers time to save up, I will put my hand up if it is in may please let me know

This was the point I was trying to make months ago. At least i'm not the only one who thinks this way...

Wayne, I must apologies I used the word “volunteer” loosely and obviously you have interpreted it that way. The use of “volunteer” was more in line with the fact that TBA does not pay these people nor do the sponsors for there time and efforts, this cost must be borne by us the bowler who when it all boils down to it are the ultimate beneficiary of there efforts and knowledge anyway. Remember user pays and you get nothing for nothing! They do all there work as “volunteers” but have the right to charge a fee given their HP2 coaching status. Sorry if I was not clear enough on this.

What I should have said is that these 3 people are among the most highly credentialed people we have in our sport and have probably spent many thousands of there own dollars to achieve these credentials. To suggest or even expect them to pass on any of this knowledge for free is ridiculous, would you or anyone else work for a minimum of 23 hours over a weekend plus do all the set up work that goes along with preparing for a 2 ½ event for free. Acquiring knowledge does cost a lot of money and once acquired that person should be able to charge a fee for passing that knowledge onto others, isn’t that what your doctor, dentist, motor mechanic or other professional person does.

Lets also remember these people all work in the bowling industry, it is there livelihood. Do we want these people to follow Chris Batson overseas where there acquired knowledge is passed onto other countries who are willing to pay them what they deserve to be paid for their efforts and services? Which, in turn will allow these countries to surpass us with their newly acquired level of skills and knowledge acquired from people we basically turned away because we did not want to pay them for their services and knowledge.

Whilst I see you offer coaching services for free, that is your choice but you cannot expect your doctor, dentist, electrician, motor mechanic or any other professional person you deal with who has also spent many thousands of dollars to learn there profession to charge you nothing for their time and effort in assisting you, why would you expect these 3 people to pass on their knowledge and train bowlers to be better bowlers for nothing.

TBA sets out a fee schedule for coaches on their website and as mentioned previously in this thread the fee charge equates to a fee much less than the hourly or daily rate that TBA suggests a HP 2 coach should be charging. Not to mention the hourly rate at a bit over $28 per hour includes a ball (which if you don’t want you can on sell to recoup or even ask for a price to participate excluding the ball), apparel, lineage and food.

Is this where the problem lies? With our sport being so expensive to play week in week out that the training and development to assist bowlers to become better bowlers is expected to be or should be free. I don’t know, all’s I’m saying is that surely the 3 people and others with similar qualifications should be and are entitled to charge for their time and structure a fee for their time into the overall cost of these type of events. If this then creates a point where a certain number of people need to participate for the event to run, then so be it. As I’ve said in previous posts it’s as cheap as when you look at the hourly rate you will be paying these 3 coaches and compare it to the hourly rate TBA allow them to charge for one on one coaching. I think Jason Doust summed it up when he said we’ll pay $650 for 2 new balls but won’t pay that when it comes to learning how to get the most out of them.

I’m aware money is a huge issue for everyone and perhaps a way to make things better and easier for those willing to participate in these type of events is for TBA to become more involved in scheduling by setting up a rolling 12 months schedule where certain times each year and every year coaching courses, Super schools, training camps will be done and even go so far as to provide an indicative cost. That way people firstly know what’s happening when and where and approximately how much so if they want to attend a super school and its set down for November and its approximate cost is $600 we are all aware of it now with plenty of time to save for it. TBA can also factor in that HP 2 coaches and presenters are all over Australia so events can be scheduled in each state to save traveling costs for the participants. Big job, YES, acheivable, YES.

Poiter, change of dates to May is definite, if interested contact whoever from off the form and put your name down.

my apologies for the essay

Shoey

thanks Shoey,

What i think is the fact that price would reduce if there was no ball involed, but either way First weekend in May i will be there, i will talk to Fairfield bowl as they are running it.

So anyone who wants to inprove there bowling, learn different things come on down.

Wayne.

Tba has in my opinion stopped caring for the bowlers, yes you will say it is changing and everything else and maybe it does, but lets look at it this way, there are not many top bowlers out there willing to give up there time for free, most of the top players still have to work as there is no professional tour in australia like american has, why is that, simple bowling is not australian known as a big sport, you dont have sponsors and tv coverage. the pba tour is televised and has major sponsors.

just my 2 cent worths

Poiter says "What i think is the fact that price would reduce if there was no ball involed, but either way First weekend in May i will be there, i will talk to Fairfield bowl as they are running it."

mate looking at the form i'd ring Cheryl Munson who's number is there and talk with her re ball if you don't want it and see if the price will come down to a ball exclusive one, i'm sure some deal can be done in this regard.

if i was looking for numbers i'd certainly look at offering a ball exclusive price if i was in there shoes.

hope you enjoy it.

Shoey

Back
Top Bottom