Suggestions

An adjustable wrist guard is not really any different to grabbing another ball out of the bag, the end result is that you get another reaction on the lane. They don't always get the right reaction and the guys that make the right choices whether it be line, angles of entry, surface, tilt, rotation, pin up, pin down, etc, etc, more cup, lateral adjustment, will be the guys at the top. They're just another tool to knock over pins and the best at their trade will choose the right tool.
At every opportunity l will "bag" people for wearing one but being left handed l cop it all back anyway.

Especially if the prize fund was DECENT so people took it as seriously as they should! Just another test for the best in my opinion

You used to put together your own wrist supports or arm braces a while ago didn't you? That was all I was referring to as being one of a kind. No offence intended ;)
No Michael, I'm not in any way offended - I just didn't know what you meant. Funny thing though, sometime back in the days of the ATBC ( towards the end, I did write to them enquiring if there was any specs which had to be complied with, regarding 'wrist thingos '. I got some non-commital reply. I made a plaster cast of my arm, and from that, a fibreglass shell, ( in two halves ) the shape of my forearm, with the top half extended forward over the back of the hand. It was hinged along one side and two metal, over-centre clips on the other. It could be put on, or removed, virtually instantly. The only thing it did was to keep the wrist straight. ( One way, that is, as you could cup your wrist towards your forearm ). I used it a few times. I didn't have any physical wrist probs at that time, and really it was neither help or hindrance. It may still be around my workshop somewhere - I must look. You must be thinking of someone else, with multiple 'contraptions " ?

Oh, and PS., Those types of things were not what I was referring to, as 'technical aids' in bowling. Comparative with now, V/S the 1960s. I would firmly believe that if all the now available wrist devices had been available in the 60s, they would have made no discernable difference. That can't be said about other technical developements.

Sorry to open a can of worms, but coverstocks,weight blocks and aggressive layouts do this to a much bigger effect than a wrist guard ever will.
This is valid, except that everyone has access to any bowling ball they want, they can all drill them exactly the same, or different, as long as they are legal to the current limits. Everyone can benefit from them. Whilst wristguards that are adjustable are also available to everyone, they certainly don't benefit everyone and the difference being where they do actually increase a bowlers ability to manipulate ball reaction.

No Michael, I'm not in any way offended - I just didn't know what you meant. Funny thing though, sometime back in the days of the ATBC ( towards the end, I did write to them enquiring if there was any specs which had to be complied with, regarding 'wrist thingos '. I got some non-commital reply. I made a plaster cast of my arm, and from that, a fibreglass shell, ( in two halves ) the shape of my forearm, with the top half extended forward over the back of the hand. It was hinged along one side and two metal, over-centre clips on the other. It could be put on, or removed, virtually instantly. The only thing it did was to keep the wrist straight. ( One way, that is, as you could cup your wrist towards your forearm ). I used it a few times. I didn't have any physical wrist probs at that time, and really it was neither help or hindrance. It may still be around my workshop somewhere - I must look. You must be thinking of someone else, with multiple 'contraptions " ?

Oh, and PS., Those types of things were not what I was referring to, as 'technical aids' in bowling. Comparative with now, V/S the 1960s. I would firmly believe that if all the now available wrist devices had been available in the 60s, they would have made no discernable difference. That can't be said about other technical developements.

Well Jim by contraptions, I mean the above, I thought you had made a few prototypes etc.

Balls, are well truly one of the biggest influencing factors in today's scoring environment, but IMO, I think that had some of the robo-cop wrist guards been invented/available 50 years ago, they most likely would have been nipped in the bud pretty early on, by those wishing to uphold the integrity of the sport back then. Being able to change rotation, tilt and ball roll back then would have been massive.

Hi Michael and Andrew,

Fair call, The device I have is fixed but the front paddle maybe changed out. Not that I ever change it, it is just flat no cup as I use it as a support.

I might take up the challenge of a totally fixed device and see what the difference is. I will take a look around and see what I can find, things like the Ebonite Z-Loc series or the old Cobra's.

Will be an interesting exercise and learning experiment.

I think having a non-adjustable support like a mongoose style, probably allows for some play in the release/wrist position. It is certainly worth a try to see how one in this style works differently to what you already use.

"but IMO, I think that had some of the robo-cop wrist guards been invented/available 50 years ago, they most likely would have been nipped in the bud pretty early on, by those wishing to uphold the integrity of the sport back then. Being able to change rotation, tilt and ball roll back then would have been massive." Michael.

Of course Michael that may have been so, but I was there and I positively don't think so. In effect what you're saying is that a plastic, mushroom weighted ball to-day, can be made to perform miracles by the bowler " being able to change rotation, tilt and ball roll" No No No.

"but IMO, I think that had some of the robo-cop wrist guards been invented/available 50 years ago, they most likely would have been nipped in the bud pretty early on, by those wishing to uphold the integrity of the sport back then. Being able to change rotation, tilt and ball roll back then would have been massive." Michael.

Of course Michael that may have been so, but I was there and I positively don't think so. In effect what you're saying is that a plastic, mushroom weighted ball to-day, can be made to perform miracles by the bowler " being able to change rotation, tilt and ball roll" No No No.

No of course not, not totally anyway, unless you strip back the volume of oil, my point is that in that era, with the balls used, the laquer lanes, rotation/tilt would have been a big advantage, you only need to see how much of an influence Mark Roth had with generating rotation, if a wrist device could have done that, in 'those' conditions, I think many would have seen that as an unfair advantage, then again they might not have and all of them may have been for it, but I am merely speculating of course.

I think having a non-adjustable support like a mongoose style, probably allows for some play in the release/wrist position. It is certainly worth a try to see how one in this style works differently to what you already use.

For sure Michael, But they are pretty big and baulky still. The unit I wear now is small and light, but allows me to make some release changes myself ( not device ) but restricts the area of pain, the cup to un-cup.

I have thought about making a copy of the old red cobra type, but out of carbon fibre. That way it has flex to add strength to the wrist. But that is more my love of F1 comming out there.

For sure Michael, But they are pretty big and baulky still. The unit I wear now is small and light, but allows me to make some release changes myself ( not device ) but restricts the area of pain, the cup to un-cup.

I have thought about making a copy of the old red cobra type, but out of carbon fibre. That way it has flex to add strength to the wrist. But that is more my love of F1 comming out there.

lol, shiny, glossy, Ferrari Red?

And the ol mongoose was just an example, I only know some of the basic brands/styles that are sold in the shop.

lol, shiny, glossy, Ferrari Red?

And the ol mongoose was just an example, I only know some of the basic brands/styles that are sold in the shop.

All good Michael, I just have a dislike for the big wrist devices. All the old brands are around still from years ago like Masters etc. Still the same designs. But they cover to much of the palm of your hand. Plugging every ball is not an option to cater for a wrist device.

Still, Carbon Kevlar, now that would be stylin'.

All I am going to say is ^&%ing Good Work Men!!!

This is what Totalbowling threads are supposed to look like. People discussing a topic, no one slandering someone for their opinion. Plenty of opinions from different perspectives. Bowlers accepting another point of view but debating why they disagree.

3 pages in a few days.

Thumbs up!

A good thread is what we need ! :).

I'm not against Wrist supports... Which support the wrist.. I am against wrist devices, which manufacture a different release.

Believe this is the same mentality as Michael.

In recent years the only adjustable device I have see used in the U.S was by the Korean lefty, DR KOO I think he was nick-named.

All others you see are fixed, example being Scroggy. Pete Weber used an adjustable device in the late 1998ish period, cup only.

Yes the seniors use them, like me we are getting old and busted. The thing that surpises me the most is that I could not find any rules on what a Wrist Support can or can not be. I thought there would be a rule that says, it must be fixed or non-flexing.

Has anybody else seen what the actual rules are regarding wrist devices?

There is nothing stopping anyone using a wrist device therefore it cant be seen as an unfair advantage. It's a personal choice, thats all....

As I mentioned before, if I was right handed I would have tought myself how to hit the ball 20 years ago, being a lefty I have discovered I can do ok continuing what I am doing. I choose to wear a wrist device, doesnt make me a cheat or give me unfair advantage because everyone has a choice!

Hi Gents,

After many hours of digging around I have come to a few conclusions as to why users of wrist devices buy and use adjustable wrist devices.

Fixed performance type wrist supports are not available in Australia, are more expensive than the adjustable types. Example of a fixed device I am thinking of is the Ebonite ZL range and the Cobra Scorpion as an example. Approx $40 in the U.S and about $40 to get is here. These are the devices that don't have the nose picker functionality.

Basic longer support wrap arounds, example Mongoose, Master Industries type are landed for around $80

Adjustable devices that are fixed at the point of delivery, ( example once set they are locked in to position) are the likes of the Robby's Revs range, Brunswick PowerKoil, Moro Pro-Release, Vise device. These can be bought and landed in Australia for around $75.

Devices that are adjustable but not locked at the point of release,( you may cup your wrist further but only uncup to the limit set), Example Storm Gadget, Linds device and copies of can be landed in Australia for under $50.

I can certainly see why the adjustable devices are more widely used.

Goodness, John, just as well you're not in Federal parliament at the moment, opening your post with " Hi Gents "

:(:eek:

True, and I give my most heart felt apology for doing so. I usually use the phrase "G'Day all" I used gents only due to the gents responding to my question.

So to all my fellow bowler please accept my apology for my over site and poor judgment in only addressing the gents and not the wonderful ladies that adorn our lanes.

Back
Top Bottom