Suggestions

Dave84

Hey ppl's

Wondering if any1 can suggest a good glove for wrist support also to help get more rev's on my ball?
Cheers

There are many bowling wristers which will help you become more consistant in your release, and although these may add a rev or two to your ball, they don't enable you to attain the type of RPM's or revs that will turn you into a true scratch bowler. I'd suggest seek coaching help instead and you may well be ahead of the game.

I've had a bit of coaching they've certainly helped bring down the speed I. Which I used to bowl and a better walk up etc, I still can't seem to get my thumb out early enough and get the rev's happening. 1person I know thinks the span is not right but coach/also driller said its fine. I disagree what do ya recommend? Would a glove still help or seek a re drill?

I've had some releases where I could feel my thumb slipping out but on that occasion I do remember crunching my thumb inside

Revs are over-rated. But that's a different story. A Wrist guard is there to assist bowlers who do not have the strength in their wrist to bowl, to have the opportunity to keep bowling. Eg; Injury or Arthritis.

A wristguard really won't help get a lot more revs. It can help get a more consistent release but also limits the ability to play different angles and lines. Well, I think it does. Each to their own.

If your problem is you want more revs and a better release. I would first consult a local coach and see if they recommend re-drilling some of your gear and talk about revs with your coach.

Personally, revs are an addictive thing. Once you learn to bowl higher revs, you want to bowl more and more. When you are starting out, this often results in bowlers concerning themselves much more with revs than consistency and accuracy. This is from personal experience with my own game and many I have coached..

I would address the release and your mental game first. Learn to make all your spares, hit the same line, making adjustments. Then re-assess if you want to bowl more revs and look at the need for it.

With todays technology and league patterns, I think it's getting less and less necessary to bowl alot of revs.

Each to their own.

G'Day,

I recently went from no support, to wrist support. Two reasons, first being I have RSI from years of I.T work and typing. I know it sounds soft, but somedays it just plain hurts to bowl. The second reason I chose to wear one is exactly the reason Toon just mentioned, my shot with the wrist gaurd is softer but I am more consistant. My shot with out the wrist support is stronger, more hook and revs, but I hit my target less. So, pecentages are taken into account the wrist gaurd is better for me.

I use a fixed Turbo 2n1, it just holds my wrist in one spot. I am looking at moving to something else to give lateral adjustment. I am not after cupping of the wrist, let's face it, who cups their wrist and keeps it cupped at the point of release with out a wrist support? Probably no-one, all the pros that cup, uncup at the point of release.

Other devices worth a look are the Robby's Revs II, an old Moro Pro Release. They keep you wrist in one position but offer many positions to set your release for learning what each offers.

The others like the Storm Gadget can be set for a flat release (no cup), but with your fingers set inside the ball, that would allow you to cup the ball and unload a touch at the point of delivery which would be ideal.

For extra cheap option as a training tool, look at some from Bowling Mall on Ebay, they have some that are similar to the Storm Gadget for about $65 delivered, the Lynds copy for about $35 delivered. That makes it cheap to give it ago and work out what suits.

But with all these devices, use it to the limit of your hand and don't try and make your hand sit in positions that are not natural.

Good luck.

I personally use a Storm Gadget, probably the most versatile of the wrist guards on the market. Probably more important though is a good coach and knowledge. A wrist guard won't win you a tournament, a consistency and knowledge will!

Revs are over-rated. But that's a different story. A Wrist guard is there to assist bowlers who do not have the strength in their wrist to bowl, to have the opportunity to keep bowling. Eg; Injury or Arthritis.

A wristguard really won't help get a lot more revs. It can help get a more consistent release but also limits the ability to play different angles and lines. Well, I think it does. Each to their own.

If your problem is you want more revs and a better release. I would first consult a local coach and see if they recommend re-drilling some of your gear and talk about revs with your coach.

Personally, revs are an addictive thing. Once you learn to bowl higher revs, you want to bowl more and more. When you are starting out, this often results in bowlers concerning themselves much more with revs than consistency and accuracy. This is from personal experience with my own game and many I have coached..

I would address the release and your mental game first. Learn to make all your spares, hit the same line, making adjustments. Then re-assess if you want to bowl more revs and look at the need for it.

With todays technology and league patterns, I think it's getting less and less necessary to bowl alot of revs.

Each to their own.

The above statement is correct, with todays bowling balls and easy league conditions, you generally don't need a lot of revolutions to score reasonably well, where revolutions will help is when you want to step past the league level, even in todays tournament environment, presuming you are right handed, there are almost no players that record results up the top positions that don't generate at least a medium amount of revolutions, you still need to create the right angles to achieve maximum carry percentages. Hence why a lot of our current ladies struggle on many patterns, especially OS because they have been so used to relying on the ball to do the work.

But as I have mentioned to you in a conversation before, I would continue to seek coaching, and if the ball needs to be redrilled, that should be your first start point, there is no point practicing and trying to achieve better technique when your have a poor fit to start with.

IMO wristguards should only hold a place for those that cannot produce enough strength in their wrist due to injury or for training technique etc, and adjustable wrist guards should never have a place in bowling full stop. If you are after one with both glove and wrist support, a Storm Xtra Grip Plus would be a worthy shot, contact Brandon again at BPD and he should be able to hook you up with one.

I might start an argument here Andrew and Michael, this is not my intension to do so.

I have no problem with adjustable wrist supports so long as they are not adjusted during a frame, even if the rule was set to a block for events. Just like ball surface adjustments. I leave my wrist support on for both first and second shots per frame.

Maybe its just me, but like a two handed bowler I feel that you should use two hand for both shots (don't get me started on thumb hole placements for two handers), you should use the wrist device for both shots.

Those rules don't exist, so nothing will change until the governing bodies makes a call on it.

Make them like (here we go again) adjustable drivers in golf... What you start with, is what you end with. No changing during a round.

We have gone a bit off topic, but I really can't share the consensus. I feel that a wrist support is a tool for bowling a better game, for some people, I don't see it any different from bowling 2 handed or bowling high revs.

A wrist support won't make you bowl higher scores, but with the right knowledge behind it, it can. eg. George F.

Bowling 2 handed can give you the exact same advantage, again...with the right knowledge behind it.

I've never used a wrist guard on a permanent basis, only when I was recovering from injury.

If they gave such an advantage, everyone would be using it.

George is the only Oz bowler I have seen use one at the top level, but it definately isn't the wrist guard that makes George the bowler he is, it's his thirst for knowledge and perfection.

Thanks Toon,

I personally could not care either way. If it's in the rules personal opinion does not matter at all.

The main thing for me is this, if we are all enjoying the game and having fun. Who cares.

I might start an argument here Andrew and Michael, this is not my intension to do so.

I have no problem with adjustable wrist supports so long as they are not adjusted during a frame, even if the rule was set to a block for events. Just like ball surface adjustments. I leave my wrist support on for both first and second shots per frame.

Maybe its just me, but like a two handed bowler I feel that you should use two hand for both shots (don't get me started on thumb hole placements for two handers), you should use the wrist device for both shots.

Those rules don't exist, so nothing will change until the governing bodies makes a call on it.

Everyone is entitled to opinions mate. :cool:

I just believe that adjustable wrist guards should have no place in bowling whatsoever. They allow a bowler to manufacture something in their shot that they would normally not be able to do without one. Yes, bowling is about consistency and repetition, so I wonder how much an adjustable (or even non adjustable) wrist guard allows for an increased level of consistency or allowing a bowler to increase their scoring rate?

I can see your point re leaving it on for spares, however, anyone I know that uses an adjustable one either removes it for spares, or dials it back to almost flat. A fixed wrist guard is tolerable, barely lol, but at least they cannot be manipulated to change release, ball roll etc, simply by a twist in the dial.

It is a little different to the two handed thing as well, with the two handed situation, as long as the ball is released on the same side of the body, it is fine. However, there are only a few around the world, most noticeably Osku who changes to single delivery.

You are also correct, there will never be a rule to limit types of guards and their uses.

We have gone a bit off topic, but I really can't share the consensus. I feel that a wrist support is a tool for bowling a better game, for some people, I don't see it any different from bowling 2 handed or bowling high revs.

A wrist support won't make you bowl higher scores, but with the right knowledge behind it, it can. eg. George F.

Bowling 2 handed can give you the exact same advantage, again...with the right knowledge behind it.

I've never used a wrist guard on a permanent basis, only when I was recovering from injury.

If they gave such an advantage, everyone would be using it.

George is the only Oz bowler I have seen use one at the top level, but it definately isn't the wrist guard that makes George the bowler he is, it's his thirst for knowledge and perfection.

Cos I love Georgio like a hole in the head ;) , I won't be too harsh on him, he is extremely consistent with his approach to the game, technique and delivery, however being able to use a wrist guard, allows him to utilise this even further. Without a wrist guard, he would fine himself completing different release points, positions, just like anyone else without the use of one. Would it have much of an effect, not sure, he doesn't bowl without one for long enough to really know, but I would suggest the consistency would be reduced and in turn make his shot making less effective, it might mean one less strike a game and at his level, that is a big deal.

You are also right in saying, that, not only in Australia, but around the world, the majority of top bowlers, simply don't use them. If anything the use of a wrist guard, restricts the ability to generate a proper release of the ball. However, IMO, in regard to the top section of your post, using a wrist guard is entirely different to someone who has developed a two handed game or someone who has developed a rev dominant game. The key word being developed, whichever bowler you want to look at, they have spent countless hours developing their release, shot etc etc, a wrist guard, especially an adjustable robo cop one, gives a bowler the opportunity to negate developing a consistent release, a boost in their rotation rate, thus increasing their entry angle and carry percentages.

IMO, a non adjustable guard, should be used as an aide and not a cannot be lived without item, ie supporting injuries, low wrist strength or training devices, and also used the whole time for all shots from start to finish of a game or block if using one.

Michael is right...an adjustable wrist guard has no place in competitive bowling. Not very many on the PBA Tour wear one, and those that do just don't garner the same respect from their peers as those bowlers who bowl bare-wristed. A case in point would be Mike Scroggins who has captured eight PBA Tour titles. Robert Smith has seven titles and doesn't wear a wrister, so which one do you think gets more respect?

Back
Top Bottom