STORM sports series No2 Macarthur

jec

Hi all
the next sports series will be alittle different to the usual with 3 person teams with a max average of 516.
each round the top team will play the second team and 3rd v 4th etc.
placings will be decided after each round based on points earnt and then pins scored. it is hoped that this will give all bowlers a chance to win.
averages will be based on the sports series averages to date as attached. so if you bowled at gosford it is not so bad!!!
each round will be based on head to head for each bowler with 2 points for a win 1 for a draw and 2 points for overall team win. So tactics will come into it.
I can make up the teams if individuals want to enter, but all I can Gaurantee is that your team average will be as close to 516 as I can fairly get it not that you will likeyour teammates!!!!! - you can enter your own team. If no sports series average league average will be used.
LOCATION MACARTHUR BOWL, CAMPBELLTOWN (MCARTHUR, SQ)
DATE: 11th APRIL
COST $95 MEMBERS $85
BEST WISHES JOHN & STEPHEN

AVERAGES:

SAM ROMEO 211.7
ROB ALSTON 207.5
MATT RILEY 206.5
GLEN ANDERSON 202.2
SHAUN CUMMINGS 200.4
ANDREW LLOYD 197.2
GAVIN JONES 197.2
NEIL DONNELLY 196.9
MARK JORDAN 196.3
RANIIA NUGROHO 194.5
KEVIN MCRAE 194.1
LEXI NICOLL 192.9
CHRIS BATEUP 192.8
CRAIG FRASER 192.6
STEPHEN COWLAND 192.6
MARY-LOU KROUT 192.3
TONY MURRAY 191.8
MARK LANE 191.2
JASON DOUST 190.9
ROSS BROWN 190.3
CHRIS McCABE 190.3
CHRIS THOMAS 190.0
DEAN CRAMPTON 188.8
NICK GREEN 188.1
JON GREEN 187.8
DAVID ROSSER 187.7
RUSSELL CHOWN 187.7
STEVE SMITH 187.6
MICHAEL CRAIG 187.4
TERRY FLACK 186.9
GREG JORDAN 186.8
DON MCRAE 186.7
MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM 186.6
ROWAN CHAPMAN 186.5
SCOTT JOHNSTON 185.5
JAMES KROUT 185.1
ALEX RIVERA 184.6
ANDREW DONN PATTERSON 184.2
BRAD ELLISS 184.1
DALE FITZGERALD 183.3
LES HARVEY 183.2
NICK KOUMANDAKOS 182.5
SCOTT ROBERTSON 181.5
SHAUN O'HARA 181.4
GLEN LOADER 181.1
HENRY VANDENBURG 181.0
ALEX RIVERA 180.5
DARREN CURBY 180.4
DAMIEN BUSST 180.4
JASON QUARMBY 179.9
MARK WALTON 179.6
BEN.............. 179.3
PETER MILLER 179.3
JP LI................ 179.0
KYLE WEBBER 178.2
SUZANNE JACK 178.0
ALAN SHEPHARD 177.9
GAVIN JONES 177.2
PHILLIP SIMNETT 177.1
TEDDY BALGOS 177.0
JANET BAKER 176.3
PETER ROUSSELL 176.2
TERRIE HAMPSHIRE 174.6
PETER L........... 174.5
JOHN MCGRATH 174.3
LIZ GRAY.... 174.0
SANDY WONG-SEE (2) 173.6
GREG WILSON 173.3
JOSIE ADAMS 173.2
JUSTIN PETRASS 172.9
LYNNAE RANKINE 172.5
JESS ESPIRITU 172.5
MARK BERRIMAN 171.7
LUCITO PANGLINAM 171.3
JULIE PRICE 170.6
RICHARD PALMA 170.6
NEIL C............. 170.5
ANNETTE BATEUP 170.4
ED FACELO 169.9
NICKOLAS LIEM 169.9
ROD WALLER 169.6
CAMERON DIVERSI 169.5
ANDREW MAGILL 169.4
JACK PSOMAS 169.3
TAMIKA SPOONER (1) 169.2
ROSS SANSON 169.2
JULIA JORDAN 169.1
DAVID LATIMORE 169.0
TEEJAY REYES 168.6
WAYNE KELLY 168.6
ANDREW CAMPBELL 168.0
NOEL KELLY 167.7
ROY HOWELL 167.6
CHAD VAN DIEST 167.4
BRETT LARMAN 166.9
CHLOE HARRIDINE-HALE 165.7
CRAIG SMITH 165.5
STEPHEN MCCAFFERY 165.0
TRACEY ELLISS 164.4
GIOVANI URBANO 164.0
KEN MCLAUGHLIN 163.9
ELAINE WIDOWIK 163.8
GRAEME CLEMOW 163.2
JUSTIN TOWNS 162.8
BEN SAWET 162.7
NEIL MILLS 162.6
TROY TURNER 162.3
DAVID HANSEN 162.1
LITO MACABULOS 161.2
JIM ROBERTS 160.5
RICHARD STEVENS 160.5
JUSTIN KENNEDY 159.7
RODGER HANGAN 159.6
RYAN LAMBERT 159.5
SHAYNE WITHERS 159.3
RAY CHAN 157.3
MARK STEENDAM 157.2
JASON JOHNSON 156.9
MIKE MUNRO 155.6
CHERYL COWLAND 155.4
TINA HOHMUTH 155.3
LEWIS JONES 155.2
JOHN CROSSETT 153.2
CHRIS ROUSELL 151.9
GLEN DWYER 151.8
MATTHEW ZERAFA 151.2
DAVE VILLIERS 149.4
KIARAN LOMAS 148.6
JOSH SMITH 147.7
MICHAEL MCLAREN 147.2
KYLE FATHERS 147.1
TRACEY PETRASS 146.6
SHELTON FARMER 146.5
MARK WARD 144.3
SHERRILEE NEWMAN 143.4
DAVID BERRIMAN 141.9
RAY MUNRO 137.9
ALEX BERRIMAN 135.1
MATT WEINBERG 128.7
LEAGUE 171

hi john, im sorry to say mate that i personally think this wont get off the ground, i think i speak for a lot of people when i say that 99% of the higher ave bowlers wont be interested in this sort of format, (which is more than half the feild), the sport series is more of a competition where the individual bowler....weather they are trying to compete with and overcoming the condition or weather its a lower ave bowler that goes in it for the experience to bowl with more competative bowlers in a tournament environment, i dont think the 3 person team is a way to go, especially with a combined ave of just over 170 each, your just not gunna see any high ave bowlers coming which i consider is what makes up the sport series, if lower ave bowlers are complaining then why do they come into these events? afterall there is the st leonards monthly do which is handicap with an event every month they can enter, but im sure most of them enter the sport series for the experience and i personally havent heard any of them say they are sick of getting beat or complain or anything.

we could run a handicap side to this for the lower ave bowlers, so could work something out there, if someone has any ideas?

so since there still hasent been a reply or any entries put down thus far, i was wondering if people are seeing this and just not entering because of the new format? would like to see a show of hands who is for or against the idea, that way we might be able to reach a solution, or if anyone would like to add their ideas, lets put them out there.

Maybe we need to revert to the singles format for Macarthur and have another discussion at the conclusion of the event.

John asked for a show of hands who thought it was a good idea and i think nearly everyone agreed it was, i voted against it as i thought the logistics of pulling it together would be difficult given we only communicate via Total Bowling and to create 3 man teams would be challenging. As its proven to be.

Im with Robbo in that i go for the challenge of the condition and to see how i can adapt on different oil patterns, i dont go to win i go to improve my own game. I havent heard anyone complain about it being too hard (apart from gosford :) ) but if its too hard dont bowl. No one should expect to show up and average 200 thats the point of the SS isnt it?

Anyway, my firm belief is it should be a scratch series created to challenge us all and my opinion on this upcoming series is we revert to singles until we can get some common ground, im sure we can still get decent numbers in the next 2.5 weeks before april 11.

further thoughts?

I'm up for whatever format it's run with. A really nice bloke (with one of the lower averages) asked me if I wanted to bowl with him and I figured we'd have fun, so he's organising a third for us.

Hi John,
I think Robbie & Roy are right – not too many people will participate in the SS in this format. One reason would be because the total averages is too low.
I was thinking, you could still have a singles format but in 2 divisions. Those with an average 170 & over (as an example) would go into 1 division & those 169 & under would go into the other division. Both divisions would be scratch. Averages would be those placed by you on this site.
Just work out the total number of bowlers & the payment of prizes would be the same as normal but in 2 divisions. This would mean if you were paying the top 20 then it would be top 10 in each division. The top 2 unplaced females could still receive payment but instead of $60 & $40 you could pay 1 x $50 in both divisions.
I hope people will consider this format as another way around & give me their thoughts on this idea. This means that your idea John, of giving more people the chance to win can still be done without losing the number of bowlers that normally participate.
Thanks
Sandy

Sorry it took so long to put our names down, but unfortunately don't get the opportunity to trawl the web every day so here goes: please put down Janet Baker and Mary-Lou Krout, with a third needed if you could please find them an eligible one and put down Tina Hohmuth with James Krout, also with a third needed if you could please find one who fits in with our averages. Sherilee Newman not coming this round. I have bowled with some really nice guys over the last two years of doing this and look forward to seeing who you match me up with. I think it will be a blast.

Im sitting on the fence on this one,it may work it may not,ill only bowl if i get to bowl with 2 hot girls, LOL

Please put my name down, John. I'm up for any challenge, any format, and any condition laid down mate. It makes it all the more fun, all the more unique and all the more interesting because you just never know what will happen.

Hooroo,

Rowey :p

Guys, this is a format in which I've bowled twice over here.
At first it seems a little strange and no-one was really sure if it was going to work. But after competing in it the first year, the majority of the field thought it was great and came back the following year to a bigger and more successful event. I thoroughly enjoyed the format as it never felt like you were really out of it. Remember every round is a positional round, the teams on top are always bashing up the other teams on top, allowing teams from the middle to catch up. It's fun and exciting.

All I ask is that you turn up and make the most of it, remembering the purpose of the Sport Series is to find the areas in which you need improvement, have some fun and learn some more about this Sport. If you bowl and don't like the format and it seems like it's a majority, we simply won't run this format again. We are trying to find ways to make this more exciting and attractive to everyone. Everyone's feedback is taken in and considered, but at least allow it a real chance, this format is definitely some fun!

I wish I could be there to bowl it, me, my Mum and anyone else that kept us under the average limit! GAME ON!

Cow

Firstly I think the event is a great format and is a new way of promoting the idea that any bowler at any level can compete, but.... I do disagree with the average cut off.

While you would think that finding the mean score for all sport series events would be the first point to go do I do believe this method is flawed. While it is the average bowler score for sport series events, it appears that it will result in a significantly lower turn out in numbers as it would require the perfect match of bowler to bowler to guarantee or at least have a chance at matching usual bowler counts.

Without wasting hours of my life and working it out correctly I would guess that as a generalisation the higher up the average list you go the higher the participation rate is. As such most people would be unable to bowl due to not being able to find enough bowlers to field a team.

My 3 suggestions would be;

A. increase the average cut off.

B. don't allow bowlers to allocate their own teams, wait for confirmed entries on the day and allocate teams based on entering average. Although this will become difficult depending on the number of entries.

C. Increase the average cut off to MUCH higher say between 190 to 200 but bowlers use their highest CURRENT league average. Again there is a down side to different centres having different scoring paces (e.g. Can I use my Tuggeranong average ... not Belconnen or Illawarra) but could still work.

All that summed up in one sentence, I believe the cut off average should be higher.

Hi John,

Please put me down for the next round. If there's anyone out there who needs a low ave bowler for their team, I'm up for grabs (so to speak :) )

Would you please put Kiaran Lomas and Jason Doust down as a team, and they're still looking for a 3rd bowler.

Thanks,
Tracey Petrass

Hi ALL
with entries very slow I will stay with format until Wednesday night - If still low we will revert back to individual entries.
We are trying some new things as has been said but if the bowlers do not like it we will go back to a fromat they do like.
john

Hi John.

Can u please add Tamika Spooner, and Dale Fitzgearld as a team. Is Cheryl still interested in bowling with us?

Tamika

John to assist with all of the above see below a summary of where we are at with the teams format.

Janet
Mary - lou

Tina
James

Gleno - on the fence
* (hot girl 1)
* (hot girl 2)

Rowey

Tracey

Phillip
Mathew
Shaun

Tamika
Dale

Kieren
Jason

Hopefully we can get some more names (teams) to make it worth the attempt.

Much as I love the idea of the whole thing and have already put my name down, if there is trouble getting people to organise their own teams, simply break the current field into the three groupings of High, Medium and Low and on the day pull a name out of each "field" and those three people make the team, regardless of what their actual combined is - all teams will have one person from the high end, the middle of the road and the low averages, like me. just a thought, but quite frankly, after the lack of arguments against it at the last round i think it is a bit poor that everyone is now willing to bag it out so bad and not give it a chance. John is doing all this (with his wonderful helpers) on a voluntary basis for us, so how about you all get off the fence and show him some supprot on this.

sorry, just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom