SQ Rachuig/De Veer Eligibility Change

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
The board of TBAQ have agreed to amend and simplify one of the requirements for Rachuig & De Veer Team eligibility.

The requirement for zone/area has been dropped as has the requirement for State Champs in the previous year.

As from now the only bowling requirement is to bowl in State Champs in the same year.

I wonder if the zone champs will suffer a loss of entries as a result?

I do support the decision to make ot easier to be able to qualify though.

Andrew
That is an excellent decision made by the board. Hopefully, you may now see more nominations for Walter De Veer & Rachuig.
State & Area championships numbers having been struggling for a vey long time, perhaps it is time for a revamp!
Is there anything in the pipeline to change the actual format of State & perhaps Area championships to put a bit of life back into it & make it a little more interesting?
I know that there is a history & tradition attached but times are a moving on & so should bowling. There is no reason with a new & different format that tradition & history could not be included!
Just a thought!
Andrew, I am sure you will tell me to bugger off if you need to ;) .
Sam

Actually Sam the only change so far is to the Masters format and its not so much a change as a compromise. If we get enough entries there will still be a double elimination however if there are not sufficient entries there will probably be a round robin.
The board does recognise the need for change, hence the new State Team roll-off format.

Some steps in the right direction there Andrew. Well done to TBAQ - I like the new format, and the eligibilty stuff makes sense.

And no I won't be nominating :D

graham said:
And no I won't be nominating :D
This could be a second honeymoon Graham. Think of your new wife and partner. Doesnt she deserve an occasional holiday?
A weeks shopping in Tasmania? What more could a woman want?

I applaud TBAQ for making a changes to Rauchig Qualifying, its good to see thay they're trying something different to get more bowlers interested.

In saying that I'd like to take the opportunity (from one who has not tried out for Rauchig in a long time, and is definitely looking at nominating next year) to make some comments & suggestions on the afforementioned new format.

The idea to integrate the 1st 10 games with the Twin Tour is a good one, may I suggest however that if you intend to nominate for Rauchig that your nomination goes in, at the latest, when you pay your money to bowl the Twin Tour and not up to a week later. I honestly cant see the logic in allowing someone to bowl & then decide if they want to nominate, shouldn't the bowler nominate first & then bowl (like a normal rolloff for any team :confused: ).

Also, since no matter which squad you bowl in the Twin Tour (or any other tournament) the lanes play differently - due to varying factors (temperature, humidty, number of bowlers on the lanes etc), shouldn't the bowlers who are nominating for Rauchig be all grouped together in one squad so that all of them have the same conditions to bowl on. This would then eliminate the controversy of people saying...but the lanes in B squad played different to the lanes in A squad because of whatever reason.

I'd appreciate some comments on this from other bowlers, and hope that everyone realises that the above comments are intended to be constructive and not destructive.

Thanks

Dale

Andrew
My evil twin posts under Samantha :rolleyes: & I am not responsible for her behaviour ;)
You are always good value & good for a laugh, never loose your sense of
humour.
Sam

Andrew S. said:
This could be a second honeymoon Graham. Think of your new wife and partner. Doesnt she deserve an occasional holiday?
A weeks shopping in Tasmania? What more could a woman want?

Hmmm Cadbury Factory .. tempting but i'll pass :D

Yes Dale i agree with you that its great to see TBAQ try something different and they deserve a pat on the back for their decision.

I also like the idea that everyone who rolls off in the first Twin Tour is in the running to chance their arm and have a go representing their state whether it be for DeVeer or Rachuig.Your suggestion would cut the field trying out to a quarter or even worse. Can't you hear the whispers already" Are you trying out?" as bowlers try to figure out "who's in" and "who's not" and "where am i running?"

As for" Conditions won't be the same for everyone". Isn't it really a cover for bowlers not letting the truth come out and saying "I wasn't good enough today" . Instead they have to blame something else.Theres been only once in everything i played that conditions weren't even and it was unfortunate for those bowlers it happened to.

I like to say to everyone who has thought about representing this great state of ours, GO ON GIVE IT A GO!!!!!!

Finally on the Rachuig Mens side of things picture this , its 2006 in tassie and lifting the Men's Rachuig Trophy is the 7 members of South East Queensland for the first time in history. THINK ABOUT GUYS,THAT COULD BE YOU!!

hamster

hamster said:
THINK ABOUT GUYS,THAT COULD BE YOU!!
hamster

Why do we have to think about guys?? Is there something you're not telling us Tony? :D

Hats off to TBAQ. Good to see such a radical change.

Hammo,

I guess my main problem is that as I see it you should have to nominate before you throw a ball. To me nomination means making yourself elligible for the team. If you look at most teams (and most are done on selection granted, and I am not for one second suggesting we go back to that) they are selected on the list of elligible players. If you want to make yourself inelligble then dont nominate. Simple as that. I for one would prefer to know who I am up against. The same as any other tournament you bowl.

As for conditions, like you Tony its not often I complain about conditions and I know most of the time it is me. I could live with having to bowl on different conditions to someone else in order to make the team.

Again, just my opinion, more input/comments are welcome.

DaleS said:
Hammo,
I guess my main problem is that as I see it you should have to nominate before you throw a ball. To me nomination means making yourself elligible for the team. If you look at most teams (and most are done on selection granted, and I am not for one second suggesting we go back to that) they are selected on the list of elligible players. If you want to make yourself inelligble then dont nominate. Simple as that. I for one would prefer to know who I am up against. The same as any other tournament you bowl.
As for conditions, like you Tony its not often I complain about conditions and I know most of the time it is me. I could live with having to bowl on different conditions to someone else in order to make the team.
Again, just my opinion, more input/comments are welcome.

I agree with you Dale - I thought the entry form said that (i didnt expect it NOT to say that) however after reading back over it I can see what you mean.

Andrew is that correct ? Surely you would have people nominate BEFORE the first ball is bowled ?

No.
This is a major point in the new format. We want everyone to consider that they are eligible. If anyone has a bad first Leg they can drop out without paying a nomination fee and they do not need to continue.
The main objection seems to be that by nominating in advance it shows a bowlers commitment to the Sport.
I dont accept that argument because that commitment appears to end after the roll-off.
Commitment means a lot of things like attending fundraisers, State Champs when they are in Rocky, and heaps of other things that are conveniently forgotten.
The major consideration in producing this format was to increase the participation in State Team roll-offs. The format may or may not work, we won't know until afterwards but we feel we need not just a change but a radical change.

Andrew S. said:
No.
The main objection seems to be that by nominating in advance it shows a bowlers commitment to the Sport.
I dont accept that argument because that commitment appears to end after the roll-off.
Commitment means a lot of things like attending fundraisers, State Champs when they are in Rocky, and heaps of other things that are conveniently forgotten.
The major consideration in producing this format was to increase the participation in State Team roll-offs. The format may or may not work, we won't know until afterwards but we feel we need not just a change but a radical change.

Ok i was going to stay out of this for obvious reasons but yes once again like a good fish does i took the Bait!

I am sorry Andrew i disagree with you entirely on the nomination part, it has nothing to do with the level of commitment that this person has to show towards the sport. It has to do with the fact that pressure starts from the time that you have nominated not from the time they decide that they have had a great 10 games and then they decide to nominate because someone has talked them into it after they have had a great day at the office.

I just think it isn’t normal in any competition to not nominate before you enter into it. If you are trying to insinuate that numbers have been down because of who nominates than i think that is terrible. The only excuses i ever here are the ones regarding the price which is something that this team and last years team are trying to fix over the next couple of years. I will leave the Rockhampton dig alone as i think you may open a can of worms there and to be honest i don’t think you have any write to comment on something you obviously don’t have the full story too.

I will leave you with this thought!

Are nominations low at the major tennis tournaments throughout the world just because Roger Fedderer has entered his name into the tournaments???

Andrew S. said:
We want everyone to consider that they are eligible. If anyone has a bad first Leg they can drop out without paying a nomination fee and they do not need to continue.
The major consideration in producing this format was to increase the participation in State Team roll-offs.

Andrew,

I understand what you are saying, however to take your argument further, if I bowl a tournament where I qualify over two days and dont have to pay my entry fee until the second day. If I bowl poorly on the 1st day and decide I dont want to bowl the 2nd day then I just dont pay my entry fee & dont turn up, not very fair to the other bowlers is it ? Surely you're not suggesting that and yes I know its extreme, but its still applying is the same logic.

As for commitment, my post never mentioned commitment, I mentioned elligibility, one does not immediately infer the other. Personnally I haven't nominated for Rauchig in the past because I could not comit myself to the team (for a variety of reasons, none of which I will go into here). Perhaps what TBAQ could do is put forward a proposed list of functions/fund raisers & tournaments so that bowlers who do wish to nominate know what, where, & when. So that then bowlers can commit to the required dates.

Also, letting people nominate after the first 10 games does not logically lead to the fact that they will be committed to the team, if thats part of the premise that TBAQ is working on then I'm afraid to say (in the area of getting committed bowlers) that TBAQ is sadly mistaken.

Again, just my opinion, and no criticism (of anyone) is intended.

Andrew,
Firstly i would like to congratulate TBAQ on making a change and hopefully increasing numbers for our state team roll-offs i feel it is a positive move, we need to do something to change things for now and future years. I do however have a couple of questions/comments......

In respect to the nomination after bowling.... Whilst i can see some peoples view on this as being a good idea i cannot for the life of me see why this is allowed.... For example do people turn up to tournaments and only pay for the games, then when finished decide well my score is good enough i will pay my prizefund portion now so i can enter the tournament.... How successful would tournaments be if that happened? What's next prebowling and faxing scores through?
Perhaps if you wish to nominate for the roll-off, one week before bowling you say yes i am interested in participating and when finished you can then decide to pay your nomination fee if you wish to continue..... Or why bother having a nomination fee just let everyone enter but they must decide before bowling that they want to try-out..... Just a suggestion

Has there been any thought given to what kind of conditions will be set for the Twin Tour? Will the first Twin Tour (State team Qualifier) be played on a 3 to 1 condition... who will be setting the condition TBAQ or the Twin Tour??????

Regards
Brian

I used the word commitment because that word was used in an email to me regarding the nomination timing, from one of this years team members.
Sorry if it doesnt appear relevant.
I can understand the reluctance to accept this unusual form of nomination because it is a radical departure, but the fact is a lot of people do not nominate because they think they have no chance when they see the quality of the other nominees.
Jason that's a fact. As soon as we publish a short list of starters people see names like Morty or Jason or Pilko etc and they immediately think these are gun bowlers I have no chance. So they stay out.
I really dont see what the problem is. You guys are gun bowlers and the top guns will always come through.
All we are doing is throwing a little extra competition at you.
Earlier in the month I made a comment that East Coast was a closed shop and I had the response well so is Rachuig.
Perhaps the person who said that about Rachuig was right.
My personal feedback is that there will be a big turnout this year and the nomination timing is a major factor.
Brian regarding the condition, this has not been discussed as yet, I would imagine Mary Flower might have an opinion there.

Back
Top Bottom