Do we expect a little too much from our State Team Bowlers?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
This year in Qld our State team bowlers - Rachuig & De Veer - will be expected to bowl not only in the Nationals at Melbourne, but also in the State Champs at Rocky. This will be a very costly exercise again and yet we continue to wonder why numbers are down when the forms are returned. I would like to see the State Championship requirement relaxed a little when these distances are involved, I wonder how others feel about this?

Andrew,

My question is if NQ have their State Championships, and SQ have their Championships, then why is there a need to have a Qld Championships ?

This way the SQ bowlers and NQ bowlers can bowl in their own back yards at minimal cost, and may entice more people to try out for State Team.

Just my humble opinion.

Steve Hunt

Steve my apologies for a very confusing post. I actually meant to put South Qld Champs. What you are suggesting is what actually happens now. The South has its own Champs as does the North. No longer do we have an overall (or combined).
The point I wanted to make was that the Qld South Champs are being held in Rocky this year so it will affect the Brisbane based people. In addition to that the Association Challenge is also being held at Rocky this year so bowlers who wish to compete in both events (Challenge & Rachuig) will need to spend the best part of $2500 all up.
With all the travelling the NQ people have done over the years (and continue to do) I doubt that there will be too many tears shed for the South based bowlers, however I do feel that something has to be done to relieve the financial pressure on both North and South Qld State bowlers. I wonder where the NQ Championships are this year, and also how the NQ bowlers feel about bowling State to be eligible for Rachuig?

C'mon Andrew,

Surely your not suggesting that we NQ bowlers would find humour in hardships befalling our SQ bretheren!!!! :D :D :D

Seriously though you do make some good points, in that $2500 is a hell of a lot of money in most people's language and does make it hard for some people to roll off etc.

NQ Championships are in Cairns this year, so the bowlers from Mackay, Ayr and Mt Isa still have a fair bit of travelling to do.

I actually think that to roll off for Rachuig you should have to bowl city or state championships but not both as that would cut down costs.

Cheers

Steve :D :D

Hi Andrew,
I agree that the expectations are financially crippling for most bowlers. Also with the changes in the work force- it is difficult for some to get the time off, although we do have exemptions in place.
It would be wonderful if all league bowlers could be inspired to 'get involved' by trying out and with raising funds for all state teams. It is amazing how many league bowlers I speak to, that don't understand there is more to bowling than just league - that is within their reach and they can be part of!
If as a collective we could raise this awareness - I feel it would attract more financial support.

JUST A THOUGHT :)

Alli

It has been brought up numerous times how to get more bowlers to compete in state championships and here it is now being discussed to reduce that number by allowing State team bowlers to bypass the event.

Seems to me that the least you could do as a state team bowler, is to turn up to your own championships. The same as if you are a Rep team bowler for the association challenge, it is a normal policy that you have to compete in your local area championships.

As in most other sports to represent your area, state or country you have to turn up to your own championship.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom