28 Mary-Lou Krout
29 James Krout
30 Ed Facelo
31 Michael Craig
Best Wishes
John

Hi John,
just a random question
is the format going to be the same this year?
noticed other states do different formats.

looking forward to Nth Strathfield
cheers
Roy

Roy
Thanks for you post.
We are looking to change the format slightly for the second event, to try to give all bowlers regardless of ability the chance to cash. Whilst the series is meant as a challenge to improve our bowling skills we all like the competition. I will discuss formats with the bowlers at the 28th -as it your event, not mine, and I will only change what the bowlers want me to change.
John

Can you add Liz Gray to the line up please? And can someone please give me the address of the bowl?
Thanks
Liz

Does anyone have any thoughts on a format change?

Probably better to throw some around here rather than John try and get around to everyone on the day.... doesnt mean we have to go with any suggested on here or doesnt mean we have to change it at all, just throwing it out there....

I would love to see a stepladder at the end, it's an exciting way to finish off a tournament, and makes for great spectator value as well...

There are heaps of formats we could try out, however we are limited to what we can do, given we only have 1 day, we want to keep the game numbers down and we want the best value for the bowlers on the day (i.e. an eliminator format wouldn't work, cause half the field are paying full price for one round, not totally fair on them.)

but I like the idea of trying out some different formats, figuring out those formats won't be as easy, but great idea, we should have anyone shout out any ideas they have, the more ideas we can get out there, the better off it will be.

i know its 1 less game but what about 3 blocks of 3 games instead of 5 blocks of 2. We'd only have to move 2 times instead of 4. That lost game might leave some extra time for a final 3 stepladder?

Just another thought.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a format change?

Probably better to throw some around here rather than John try and get around to everyone on the day.... doesnt mean we have to go with any suggested on here or doesnt mean we have to change it at all, just throwing it out there....

I would love to see a stepladder at the end, it's an exciting way to finish off a tournament, and makes for great spectator value as well...

There are heaps of formats we could try out, however we are limited to what we can do, given we only have 1 day, we want to keep the game numbers down and we want the best value for the bowlers on the day (i.e. an eliminator format wouldn't work, cause half the field are paying full price for one round, not totally fair on them.)

but I like the idea of trying out some different formats, figuring out those formats won't be as easy, but great idea, we should have anyone shout out any ideas they have, the more ideas we can get out there, the better off it will be.

i know its 1 less game but what about 3 blocks of 3 games instead of 5 blocks of 2. We'd only have to move 2 times instead of 4. That lost game might leave some extra time for a final 3 stepladder?

Just another thought.

y drop a game for most ppl when the usual ppl are up the top get extra??

Hi Mark,
do you have a suggestion for a format change or do you just want to criticize the people that put forward some suggestions? I never said this IS WHAT WE MUST DO... it was merely a suggestion as John asked for input into possible format changes.

The format change i suggested had 3 advantages in my opinion,

firstly dropping 1 game is going to save us about 20 mins, maybe john can take some $ off the entry fee to cover the lost game, personally id still pay the full amount and drop the game if the below was the sacrifice.

secondly bowling 3 blocks of 3 minimises the lane changes from 4 to 2, further saving time. A lot of time as most cases after 2 games the whole squad waits until the last pair finish for obvious reasons. This would mean only 2 delays and not 4.

and thirdly, the step ladder finale is something i would definately stay around for. It would be great to run 3rd and still be in the hunt for the win. It puts the pressure back on the leader and in my opinion creates a bit of excitment at the end of the day rather than just first past the post wins it, which in some cases may already be known before the final block even starts.

Yes i agree the same people will probably contest most events, and so they should, they deserve to be there if they bowl the best on the day. But imagine if you were 5th going into the last block. Under the current structure you probably wouldnt win as you would be too far behind to make 1st. Well in this format you only have to make 3rd to win a place in the step ladder and from there who knows what might happen. We are only talking a maximum of 2 extra games for any one person, 3rd could beat second then takes on 1st. 2 games would easily be saved in the time we gained from dropping a game, it might even be gained back in the time saved having less lane changes who knows i suppose we would just have to "suck it and see" as they say to see if its time wise or not.

Personally im no chance of winning as im just not at that level, i bowl cos i enjoy the challenge and just love playing the game.

Potentially after we ran the 2nd event like this we could see how much time we save and take feedback from everyone on how it was, we could then mould it into something that is better, maybe back to 10 games or 8 games at a reduced rate with a 5 person stepladder???

Finally im not here to start arguments, or have heated debates im just trying to throw some suggestions around the room and see where they land.

Looking forward to SS #1.

ps
Noticed the VSS has a stepladder finale... anyone from down south want to weigh into the debate???

For the sake of debate and to satisfy my own personal curiosity i decided to apply some of the above to all of last years 5 events.... see below.

I applied qualifying for a 5 man step ladder final (bigger than what is mentioned above but go along with it for the sake of the experminet ok? )

Below is the top 5 finishers and just for a comparison the 10th place finisher and how far they were behind 5th. This shows how if we applied a stepladder final be it 5 or 3 person that going into the last block even the person coming 10th has a good chance of making a stepladder appearance. It rewards consistency and keeps things interesting.

anyway make up your own mind...

SS # 1 Tuggeranong
1 - Jason Doust
2 - Chris Thomas
3 - Terry Flack
4 - Jon Green
5 - Shaun Cummings

10th - Tony Murray only 94 pins behind 5th

SS # 2 Blacktown
1 - Russell Chown
2 - Sam Romeo
3 - Shaun Cummings
4 - Alan Shephard
5 - Jason Doust

10th - Nick Green 97 pins behind 5th

SS # 3 Macarthur
1 - Glen Anderson
2 - Neil Donnelly
3 - Don Mc Rae
4 - Kevein Mc Rae
5 - Scott Johnston

10th - Jason Doust 75 pins behind 5th

SS # 4 Villawood
1 - Matt Riley
2 - Glenn Anderson
3 - Stephen Cowland
4 - Russel Chown
5 - Luisito Pangilinam

10th - Mark Walton 38 pins behind 5th

SS # 5 Gosford - also known as BLACK SUNDAY for those thast were there lol
1 - Shaun Cummings
2 - Lexi Nicoll
3 - Ross Brown
4 - Don Mc Rae
5 - Mark Walton

10th Janet Baker 94 pins behind 5th

So there you have it, not once did the 10th place getter finish more than 97 pins behind 5th. Over a 10 game Sports series thats 1 spare per game.

As for the same people always being at the top look at these stats.

Out of the 25 top places (1st - 5th) in each event there was 19 different bowlers meaning only 5 people appeared in the top 5 more than once and 1 person appeared in the top 5 more than twice and that was the overall winner Shaun so who would question him being there considering how well he performed throughout the SS 2009.

Note: if there are spelling mistakes in any names, apologies, i wrote them in thick black texta :)

i dont recall criticizeing any1... i gave my opinion. isnt that what we are meant to be doing?
i may not have a suggestion but i can say what i think too...

Hi John,

Please add

Terry Flack
Gail Flack
Steve McCaffery
Darren Curby

Back
Top Bottom