SOUTH VERSUS NORTH SCRATCH CHALLENGE

SPONSERED BY AMF MOONAH BOWL .THE SOUTH HAVE PUT FORWARD A CHALLENGE TO THE NORTH OF THE STATE TO BOWL A 7 GAME SCRATCH TEAM CHALLENGE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT IN FEBUARY OR MARCH IN HOBART. PAUL LUCOCK WILL BE SELECTING THE TEAM FROM THE SOUTH . HOPFULLY THE NORTH CAN PUT A TEAM TOGETHER TO TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE AND WE CAN SEE SOME GREAT SCORES AND TEAM PLAY .

If it was on a Saturday night it'd be a cosmic challenge!

My eyes are still recovering from bowling 15 games under cosmic lights on Sunday night lol.

it would be hard to know what the teams are when no details have been given in regards to when it would be, what the cost is, is there prize money etc etc ..... im not really sure what the incentive would be for northerners to travel down at there own cost (petrol, accomodation etc etc) ................ who knows it may get off the ground, but i would highly doubt it unless there is some decent money up for grabs ..... because otherwise .... what is the point of the exercise?

just waiting on management too come up with an amount of prize fund and im hoping we will be playing off for $1000 plus other prizes for high games and averages and team games .Our challenge is too the north of the state .I think it would be awesome to have a south V,s north for the competition and run it anually .I will speak to stewart early next week to get more details and let you know .Our team are as follows PAUL LUCOCK , SIMON GOURLAY , ADAM JOHNSON , CHRIS COMMANE , MATT CRAMMOND (?) ALAN COLEMAN (?) ANDREW PHILLIPS (?) . We still havnt found a date to suit but any suggestions would be appreiciated

Here's my suggestion.

Hold it on the Saturday Arvo/Night of the Hobart Championships and then the return leg when the Launceston Championships is on. It will be easier to get the numbers of bowlers if something else is already on. Nobody will travel down/up to bowl unless there is at least $1000 on offer for the Team win (anything less is a waste of time due to cost of travel/accomm/bowling) . If we are already there, then we would probably bowl for a smaller a prizefund

4 Games, 5 Person Teams, 1 point for Individual wins, 2 for team and 1 point for every 25 pins (ie Peterson Points). Each team must have a minimum of 6 players (1 female per team) and each player must bowl 3 games each (2 Players bowl all 4 games, 4 players bowl 3)

Just wondering... if Paul has appointed himself in charge of "selecting" the southern team, who in turn would be responsible for the organisation of the northern team?! :)

That is a great idea gus to bowl when the championships are on .Would you be in charge of selecting the team from the north ? What dates are the championships ? I think this could be an event that could be played every year and alot of fun .I will talk to stewart asap and get back to everyone with solid details on prize fund and costs ,talk soon from Paul

I feel honoured to be included in such a team...

If I can fit it in between rounds of golf, cutting my toenails and organising my sock drawer again, I'll think about it.

now now droo ..... if im not mistaken i think i may detected a hint of sarcasm in that post ...... but surely not .... that would be so unlike you! ;-)

ps - have to catch up for a beer real soon.

I feel honoured to be included in such a team...
If I can fit it in between rounds of golf, cutting my toenails and organising my sock drawer again, I'll think about it.
But if you don't bowl Droo, who will they get for the female spot?! :)
Personally I would be of the opinion that teams challenge is really the only tournament we need along these lines. But then I guess I am not coming from the perspective of someone who can't bowl it...
:):)

just waiting on management too come up with an amount of prize fund and im hoping we will be playing off for $1000

Hey Paul, just a thought but how bout your business sponsors the challenge too and put some money into prize fund as well as AMF. If you havent already.

Scotty.. Me, sarcastic?? Never :p Beer sounds good... First one on me.

KC.. After tonight, I wish I had the rev rate of an 8 year old girl.... Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)
Agreed about the State Teams Challenge. I think that is all that is needed, if you're eligible to bowl.

KC.. After tonight, I wish I had the rev rate of an 8 year old girl.... Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)
So they're still as dry as a Pom's towel then I take it?
I had one game with Rodney Foley the other night, conventional grip, 12lb house ball and was ripping the 5 clean out with that shot - that was when I could actually keep it on the right side of the headpin :p
Drier than anything I ever bowled on on the wood over the stretch, certainly.

androooo said:
Agreed about the State Teams Challenge. I think that is all that is needed, if you're eligible to bowl.
Nothing wrong a few more tournaments to play in, provided everything's set up and ready to go.
With no more VIP Classic and the Bowler Of The Year not having been bowled for the past couple of years we could always do with a few more around the place.
It's the only thing that hasn't stopped me from completely quitting the game altogether to be quite blunt.

I guess my point is that as it stands, we do have quite a few tournaments around the state that simply do not get enough support.

Look at a couple of years back, we had our first chance to get a major tournament up and running in a long time (Hobart Cup) and the lack of local support was, to put it bluntly, a complete embarrassment.

The fact these tournaments are out of Hobart do not mean they do not exist. This is NOT an attack at a single person, just the way I feel.

I guess my point is that as it stands, we do have quite a few tournaments around the state that simply do not get enough support.
Speaking of that, what is on the program for this year, is the calendar out yet guys?
I'd be thinking the championships and Masters from Devonport, Launceston and Hobart plus State, you'd have your Rachuig trials (I won't be rolling off because I can't get time off work) and STC.
Any others?

K-C said:
Look at a couple of years back, we had our first chance to get a major tournament up and running in a long time (Hobart Cup) and the lack of local support was, to put it bluntly, a complete embarrassment.
Yeah you're not wrong.
Actually it really did surprise me how few locals did end up playing.
Bearing in mind that it was a reasonably congested calendar at the time too with that and the Nationals in close proximity, plus wasn't the VIP Classic not far behind the Cup as well? Stretching the memory there a little (Ok, a lot).
I would've liked to have seen it out on its own for one more year (like it was supposedly guaranteed as per what we were told in the squad briefings) to guage whether it would've been a more successful event than the 46 entries of 2006 without other events encroaching upon it, but that wasn't to be.

K-C said:
The fact these tournaments are out of Hobart do not mean they do not exist.
No, not saying that they don't exist because they aren't in Hobart at all, far from it Kace.
What I am alluding to is that it looks like there'll be one tournament at Moonah in 2008 (if State is up North of course), and it sounds like Paul is trying to get something together, whether it works or not and comes to fruition is yet to be seen, but good on him if he is at least trying to put something together.
With the huge loss of the VIP Classic (Colin and Paul and the gang did a wonderful job in running that) plus the BOTY which ran from 1971-1999 and 2001-2005 looking an unlikely starter for the second consecutive year, it would be good to support another event down this way, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

K-C said:
This is NOT an attack at a single person, just the way I feel.
No offence taken at all Kace :)

PS: Don't worry about the calendar I found it.

Non-ATBSO, Darrel Holt, Youth and Junior events for the state this year are:

03/5/08-04/5/08 - Rachuig Trials - Moonah.
10/5/08-11/5/08 - Rachuig Trials - Launceston.
31/5/08-01/6/08 - Hobart Adult Championships & Hobart Masters - Moonah.
21/6/08-22/6/08 - Ultimate Teams Challenge - Launceston.
05/7/08-06/7/08 - Devonport Adult Championships & Devonport Masters - Devonport.
26/7/08-27/7/08 - State Adult Championships - Devonport
02/8/08-03/8/08 - State Adult Championships & State Masters - Devonport

No Launceston Championships listed for this year? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom