Should There Be Limit on the Amount of Units Of OIL on the Lane

Matthew, this whole thread is about the amount of oil applied to the lanes. If the newer balls hook too much for the lanes is it necessary to increase the amount of oil, I don't think so.

It is not essential to increase the oil at all, I have alway said we should decrease the amount of oil. The new balls will not ever hurt the lanes, as long as you keep a little in the Heads the balls will never hurt the lanes, even if you applied no oil to the outside boards or if you only oiled 20 feet the lanes can handle it, they won't burn they won't wear, but if you don't look after the Heads than you get a problem. But 20 units of oil is plenty, to protect the Heads.

I left Mayfield Bowl this year and at the time of my leaving the wooden lanes had not been Re-Surfaced for 8 years and looked it, they had'nt been Recoated for over 2 years and they were just starting to lose the Heads and the surface had been peeling for over a year, still they had bowlers averaging over 220. What I'm trying to point out here is the lanes can still stand up to God know how many balls thrown down them even though they have not had the upkeep they were supposed to have. The funny thing was that the Manager there, seemed to think it was not a problem, as he stated to me, that when he Managed Maitland Bowl, they never got recoated for 3 years, can you believe that, especially when 3 years between Re-Surfaces is considered a long time.

As for you 9 Pin, I like the idea of short and long oiling patterns, thats what they are doing around the World, the Best Bowlers come out on top. I would suggest you get yourself a Plastic ball drilled with some leverage as this will give you more hitting power when the lanes are drier, this is what they are doing in the States at present. I have even seen Amanda Bradley bowl a 300 with her Spare Ball, of course she complained about it, but that not unusual for Amanda, she never did like the lanes I used to set up, I never over oiled them.

willey.

willey said:
Sameal, if you are going to quote me than please get it right, I did'nt say all the oil past 20 feet is to help a wayward shot, I said " All THAT OIL ( 90 units ) is there to hold a wayward shot".

You are right I am envious of the power generated by a lot of Windup's, but when I see them not hit the same place twice and still Strike than I'm annoyed.

You are wrong about bowlers using all 39 boards, I think you better watch next time you see some bowlers, because if they bowl through 90 units from 20 feet to 40 feet than they have missed ( probably a Windup ).

I am not against power players bowling, but I am against pandering to them with massive amounts of oil as this hurts everyone else, this is like in Golf parlance making all the Holes 600 metre's long, so who's going to win in that situation, only the power hitters.

I am not disgruntled and if I'm middle aged than this is good as I will live to be over 100. I'm actually the same age as Wayne Chester, I even look like Wayne except I use my right hand so I don't have his advantages.

I have bowled in league that has cost over $30 a week, my last league average was 215, so I'm no bunny, but of course, they were the easiest lanes I have bowled on in my life.

The thing is all those units of oil is only wasted, as no one actually bowls on that part of the lane anyway, once the ball passes 20 foot down the lane all that oil is only there to help a wayward shot

Could have fooled me chief :rolleyes: . How about we get you out on a pair of lane, strip them bare, put down a house condition on one and put your 20ft theory to the test on the other. Thats probably one of the most nonsensical statements ive ever read on here.

What a load of crap, i can name plenty of bowlers who use just about every board on the lane. We have resorted to playing deep inside lines to combat the dry conditions one of our centers puts out. A 40 - 20 shot is nothing new to be seen in this house, you will probably find a good dozen people throwing a similar shot, of which they are all rather accurate at throwing, no less accurate than you are thats for damn sure. By the end of the night it isnt uncommon to see people going extreme outside, last week a few of us had to throw 45-25 lines with stacks of ball speed just to clear the heads. That is a prime example of lack of oil, lack of prepartion and just pretty much lack of everything.

Heavens forbid you actually learn to throw a shot, you enjoy constanly bagging "windups" as you call them, but what about the no fingers stroker with the latest hook in a box carving up the lanes?. Who needs fingers, who needs to develop a good release, who needs to work on their timing when you can plant the ball at your feet and watch it cover 20 boards retaining more energy than guys 20 years ago dreamt about.

If you want to talk about pampering conditions, these are the people who are being most catered too and this is what hits a little too closer to home for you. You know what, more oil on the lanes is actually going to force you to be more accurate, you talk about the big areas "windups" have, yet strokers with little tallent are guilty of the exact same thing. The difference being is the power player actually works on their shot and puts a substancial amount of effort and technique into imparting that power onto the ball. A bowler of some merit said something recently that is pretty well spot on the money "A power player who can generate that amount of revs is going to have a better chance of striking if they can only get the ball to the headpin". Yes they will carry a lot more strikes because of the pin action they induce, that is why they develop their games, but how many times have you seen a condition out on a lane that allowed the very same bowlers to really swing the shot? It doesnt happen a great deal, most "windups" struggle against conditions that dont suit them, modifying ball surfaces, changing their releases, their timing, and having to use far more ball speed than they like. Quite simply they probably arent spending a whole lot of time in their "A" game.

Now, compare that to the 3 rev stroker with the largest, most aggressive particle ball on the market, instead of the power player being able to maximise carry because of the hitting power their balls carry, now everybody can deliver the same power when hitting the pins. Quite simply, aggressive balls and lane conditions have pampered you, the stroker, that is the core market, that is what drives companies to develop more aggressive equipment year in, year out. Go through the bag of a "windup" see what they carry, appart from finding a vast range of polished equipment (and maybe the odd ball for fresh lanes), you generally wont find a whole lot of super aggressive particle equipment.

I can assure you that there are plenty of centers out there taking good money from bowlers only to lay down the most atrocious conditions. I mean, sure, some centers will be limited by facilities available to them, that is one thing, but there is a level which is even considered substandard for what they are able to achieve. If these bowlers are designated as a centers high rolling league(s), they deserve the best a center has to offer. Quite simply, this isnt happening and it is turning away many bowlers from our sport which is doing nothing for our development (lol, look at the scene on the gold coast in the past 2-3 years for a good example after centers have closed down). Quite frankly i think these centers should be ashamed of themselves, if they are so blind as to not notice the rubbish they are forcing people to bowl on, or if they know about the poor conditions but refuse to do anything about them, you simply dont deserve to be associated with tenpin bowling.

Yes, im a power player, im damn proud of it. I had to work hard to get my game to this level, it doesnt come easy and it is something that has taken me a good 12 years to achieve. In that time i have slowly seen a shift away from the old school cranker, to strokers, and now im damn glad to see that power players are making a comeback. Notice i say power players? they certainly dont all subscribe to the old school method of plant and pull, these days fluid movement and leverage are king. It is a fairly rare sight to see a plant a pull type of stroker out on the lanes these days, today's power player has all the grace and fluid movement of a stroker, they simply far exceed the amount of leverage the stroker generates.

Quite simply, you are the one with the game who is being pampered, you are the one who center operators wall up the shots for, you have all this technology available to you which enables you to throw shots your release/delivery certainly cant match. Take away the supersoakers and your shot would be left wanting, you might even have to work to carry corner pins, wow, what a world that would be.

As for not needing to put more oil down, what planet are you from? have you seen the damage particle coverstocks cause to lane surfaces? the amount of friction they generate, it is like running sandpaper down your lanes 24/7. Without a massive change in surface technology, conditioner is about the only safe haven a technician has to try and prolong the life of their lanes. Yes they will cause damage if you dont continue past 20 ft, even with double oiling the heads. With high RG particle equipment still continuing to rev off axis way past these areas before reaching a break point, how could wear not occur?

Having bowlers average high figures is not an indication of a lanes ability to "handle" newer balls. Heck, ive seen ancient, cracked, splitting, lifting guardian have bowlers come through averaging the same, but tell me what that has to do with the maintenance and lifespan of the surface when the surface is already damaged?

Seriously, you really are quite the hypocrit posting things like this (either that or you are blind), the mere mention of oil frightens you to no end. Quite frankly, its about time we took some of the ball out of bowling and put it back in the hands of the bowler. Thank god there are centers and technicians out there who are willing to provide a consistant, fair shot for all, it's like an oasis in a vast desert (you people are a godsend). We cant get rid of technology, we would be pretty stupid if we did, so you need to give people a method to combat these balls because things just cant continue on as they are. If more oil, more coverage and differing patterns contibute even 1/10th to this, then it is most certainly a step in the right direction. Certainly no governing body, or anybody else for that matter has a valid reason to stop a center from putting out more oil if they deem necessary.

Mr stroker will just have to adjust to the changing conditions, half the people i see with these balls dont even recognise they are burning up so much energy before they even reach the break point. A little oil would probably do them the world of good.

at the end of the day, you put more oil

then they make a ball for it

then you put more oil

then they make a ball for it

i am betting this will stop when either, oil is dripping off the ball onto the approach and people are sticking on it

or its impossible to automatically get your ball back from the machine

what is the right amount today, will definately be the wrong amount tomorrow

we can keep upping the oil, but until the USBC grows some balls and the ball manufacturers put some dignity in this sport, we will be crapping on and arguing about the same topics until hell freezes over

nothings going to change

all that is going to happen, is bowling is going to get more expensive to play, and of course less people are going to play.

the only places will survive are the likes of the kingpins and strikes who oil a couple of times a week, and couldn't give a toss how good you are, or how far you can hook the ball, they just want your $15 dollars a game

in the poll a few months ago, the majority voted for a change in the pins, gutter depths etc etc

i bet they are the first to complain when league goes up 50 cents to a dollar a game to pay for the whole lane structure to be fully disassembled and re assembled to allow for what they voted on being the best thing for our sport.

i personally couldn't care if there was more oil, i throw a neat 20 revs

they can keep releasing balls with mega hook potential, i'll keep using what i think is appropriate, or i will update, and most likely kill it on the drill press

i personally crave that we could wind the clock back 20 years, then everyone had a chance of winning, but we are stuck in today, and the only way it will get any better in my mind is to go backwards, we have evolved past the average competitor.

reactive balls, they were designed for the guy who couldn't, and they just grew from there

there once was a time when if you could wing it, you had talent, now every second man out there can wing it, big deal

we are just going in circles, like i am starting to talk

Jesus Christ hey graham can we get a word count for that post, thats got to be the longest post in this forum ever

Anyways i agree with nearly all of it

Im just going to say this, as far as more oil or less oil, adjusting in the key yes i agree, but the extent of how dry a lane should be, is certainly something thats appeared many a time,

I am a strong fan of heavier oil conditions, its suits me better and thats just my opinion, as far as the stroker vs cranker fight thats going on

Lets be serious, the crankers whinge about the ball technology, and strokers inability to throw an athletic shot so to speak, and the strokers complain that crankers have no accuracy

It gets beyond the joke because, crankers use revsto compensate for their inaccuracy, hell i know i do

and strokers use ball technology to get the revs they cant get normally

ok and
now to the real story

heavy oil:::::
i dont know why people arebitching and whinging about heavy oil equaling high scores
i bowl in a heavy oil centre and the highest average is just over 200, its not an easy shot, but its not a hard one, its average, yet its heavy oil so it should be simple according to what im reading

if you want to bowl with a maxim go to rockhampton, if you want to bowl with real gear you need a real condition,its that simple.

And we arenttalking about the world bloody masters here, we are talking about a house shot, so quit whinging cos its an easy shot

wake up to yourself thats why its called a house shot

if you want a tougher pattern so you have to think and actually bowl,

JOIN A FREEEEAAAKING SPORTS LEAGUE

ill get a 60 ft reverse block down for you
ps... i accept offensive replies via pm's or email

The saddest thing about this whole post is the crankers re: windups: who think that they are accurate.....having a wall of oil that steers your ball into the pocket is not accuracy....

Short oil .....long oil....don't really matter as long as it is flat across the lane. Get rid of all these walls ,crowns,ditch's...whatever you want to call them...get some skill back into the game before it dies completely....

R.I.P. skill....

Dave??

Hippy?? said:
The saddest thing about this whole post is the crankers re: windups: who think that they are accurate.....having a wall of oil that steers your ball into the pocket is not accuracy....

Short oil .....long oil....don't really matter as long as it is flat across the lane. Get rid of all these walls ,crowns,ditch's...whatever you want to call them...get some skill back into the game before it dies completely....

R.I.P. skill....

Dave??

Totally agree Dave. Maybe Caboolture and Batesy should look at setting up a sports league, or maybe another centre with a Kegel such as Aspley. Money and schedule permitting I'd certainly think about it. The question is, with all the talk about people wanting to see scoring credibility, would the bowlers actually support it. I know from the sports series that scoring on those patterns can be tough, but they are not unscorable. I'd certainly like to challenge myself week in week out on tighter shots.

Sameal, your starting to get it, even though you don't know it, all the answers to your problems are in your post.

You don't need a hand with a Reactive Ball, thats 1 point you have found a solution to. So just maybe you should'nt be using Reactive, than all your problems will go away.

So if you don't need a Reactive Ball we don't have to Flood the lanes.

What I would like to know is where in the Rules does it say that you have to have heaps of Revs, or that Windups are an elite group, I will give you a bit of advise from Fred Borden" The Rules are there are no Rules" thats his most common statement.

I would suggest you go and have a long think about your bowling and you may find the answers to your problems. What this thread is all about is how much oil should be put on the lanes and I'm saying we are already going too far. So what are you saying, all I have heard from you is about the ridiculous shot your Centre is putting on the lanes and how everyone is struggling to bowl on it, I think the Centre Management should be coming down to you and complaining about how your trying to bowl on it.

JMHO
willey.

OH by the way the Backends at Mayfield hav'nt worn out yet even though they hav'nt been recoated for over 2 years nor Re-Surfaced for 8 years, they are still the original lanes that were put in 43 years ago and the funny thing is we don't oil the backends. Makes you think does'nt it?

willey.

HAHA what a fight this has become. Strokers Vs Crankers This is such a long and ancient battle that’s been going for years. :rolleyes:

Really at the end of the Day who cares is there is 10ft of oil, 50ft of oil a spots condition or a nice big wall outside. It's about stepping on that approach and dealing with what’s been layed out in front of you and using what ever skills and equipment you have to maximizing your pinfall/Score.

The only person you’re really bowling against on the lanes is yourself and you have to live with that. :D

Have a great Day :D

Frosty :rolleyes:

Ducati 851 said:
ill get a 60 ft reverse block down for you
ps... i accept offensive replies via pm's or email

Ha ha :D last time i bowled on a reverse block i managed to shoot 150 under for 6 and i was rather pleased. The middle was so dry that we got out plastic balls and started shooting from about 35 board to angle it into the head pin. If people want to see an out of bounds area on the lanes, you wont find a better example with that. Nobody would dare shoot outside of 10 board, you would be spending a lot of time in the gutter :crazyeye:

jedi_bowler said:
HAHA what a fight this has become. Strokers Vs Crankers This is such a long and ancient battle that’s been going for years. :rolleyes:

Really at the end of the Day who cares is there is 10ft of oil, 50ft of oil a spots condition or a nice big wall outside. It's about stepping on that approach and dealing with what’s been layed out in front of you and using what ever skills and equipment you have to maximizing your pinfall/Score.

The only person you’re really bowling against on the lanes is yourself and you have to live with that. :D

:

No, its worse than that, there should be a level of service a center has to provide you with as part of their sanctioning. You need to specify a minimum because some of the stuff being put out is pretty shocking, they continue to get away with it too. Forcing all bowlers to bowl on these conditions is tripe, sometimes its like they cant even be bothered, heck, ive known centers that havent even bothered to wash/oil before their high roller leagues at night. It's pretty bad if you turn up to bowl on a pair of lanes which have had 3 leagues bowled on them previously. Thats the difference, there is tough and there is just pathetic, some places fall into that last basket.

We have had talk of sports leagues (lol, even a league where we ban all balls made in 92 or later), but nobody has actually ever gone through with it i dont think. It seems to be a case of them thinking they wont get enough people for it, probably right though, i dont know a lot of people that enjoy bowling outside of their comfort zones. Ill be in though, ive got an old rhino in the cupboard that hasnt seen light of day in 5 years, should be old enough to get me in :cool:

As for the argument, hah, thats not an argument, i dont care how anybody bowls, i take offence to some of the stuff posted by willey making out like it is all going to be lop sided. The issue is with him, not strokers, i dont care how you deliver the ball, just dont try and tell me power players are being pampered because thats simply not true.

Back
Top Bottom