oiling of lanes.

mickyd213

For those of us that bowl in a league, who has access to the oil pattern data.
Also does your centre oil the lanes only for the lanes to be used in league or do they do the whole centre?
Only reason i ask this is that today i rolled a few games and it seemed like there was 50ft of backend. ( well at least 40. The ball was starting to break just after it rolled over the arrows) Is it normal for centres not to oil lanes because leagues dont bowl public hols.

One more question... how do synthetic lanes hold up to a lack of oil? I mean mechanically... not from a bowling perspective.

Access to pattern data will depend on what you're centre has. If they have a kegal and KOSI software then they can print out an overhead graph for you if they are in a good mood. What is actually on the lanes however would require tape readings and not every centre has access to a tape reader.

Oiling varies from centre to centre. Most of the places I have worked in have oiled all lanes, usually about 4pm weekdays and 8am weekends, however I have been in centres that sometimes just do league lanes on. Alot of it depends on the linage at the time. For example, on weekends and public holidays I oil first thing in the morning as we are usually packed when I normally do it in the arvo. At christmas times because of low linage we may oil half the centre one day and half the next.

If you found the lanes to be that dry then the lanes were either not oiled that day or had had heavy use for the day. As for how the lanes hold up, well that all depends on the amount of oil, type of oil and climate in the centre, but to save time I'll just say "good"!

Lets see, our routine is wash and oil Sunday Morning(open play and 2 leauges, plus the old duckies leauge on Monday afternoons) Wash and oil Monday Afternoon(has to last until Thursday afternoon!! Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and night leauges. Us monday nighters with our reactives and stuff tear the shot up pretty well. I'll be doing 2 runs on the 1st 20 ft from now to help the fronts hold up there) then wash and oil Thursday afternoon(all oepn play except for sat morning Juniors) We dont have really high lineage down here so it gets the job done. Gotta love how we do things 'out bush'!!! As for patterns, with a century 100 in use you throw the ball and see what happens!!!

Lets see, our routine is wash and oil Sunday Morning(open play and 2 leauges, plus the old duckies leauge on Monday afternoons) Wash and oil Monday Afternoon(has to last until Thursday afternoon!! Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and night leauges. Us monday nighters with our reactives and stuff tear the shot up pretty well. I'll be doing 2 runs on the 1st 20 ft from now to help the fronts hold up there) then wash and oil Thursday afternoon(all oepn play except for sat morning Juniors) We dont have really high lineage down here so it gets the job done. Gotta love how we do things 'out bush'!!! As for patterns, with a century 100 in use you throw the ball and see what happens!!!

HAHA lets get back to the 70's shall we

as a social bowler what does the oil on the lane actully do?

The primary reason (non bowling) is to protect the lanes. Now that dodo balls are permitted (and getting more aggressive as the days go bye) the oil allows balls to skid down the lane. Essentially the aggressive balls want to bite into the lane (friction) and turn the ball, oil prevents this. When the ball exits the oil, the ball is allowed to grip the lane and turn the ball (obviously the weigthblocks helps the ball to turn also).

Hope this helps.

The primary reason (non bowling) is to protect the lanes. Now that dodo balls are permitted (and getting more aggressive as the days go bye) the oil allows balls to skid down the lane. Essentially the aggressive balls want to bite into the lane (friction) and turn the ball, oil prevents this. When the ball exits the oil, the ball is allowed to grip the lane and turn the ball (obviously the weigthblocks helps the ball to turn also).
Hope this helps.

kinda, but what is an agressive ball to a non aggresoive ball. I have seen some people make a ball do a left turn near the pins is this what u mean?

kinda, but what is an agressive ball to a non aggresoive ball. I have seen some people make a ball do a left turn near the pins is this what u mean?

Sorry for late reply Milena.

On one hand, sort of, yes. On the other hand not exactly. <- that answer would help you out heaps hey!! ;)

Explanation for above (cryptic) answer:
An aggressive ball will help a ball do "a left turn near the pins" without 'exaggerated work' placed on the ball. <- so yes.
Though you can go down to an alley and use a house ball (a very non-aggressive ball) and put so much work into the ball (with little forward momentum-speed down the lane) that you can make it go coast to coast (gutter to gutter). <- this is where the not exactly part of the answer comes into it.

What makes an aggressive ball is the combination of cover stock and weight block. Both combine to create larger amount of energy that when allowed to be released, causes the ball to break and enter forward roll into the pins (hook to the left for a right handed conventional bowler). Remember, other factors come in to play (drilling, balance holes … so on …) also.

Think of a bowler (conventional right hander) using the exact same action using the exact same line (placement of the foot, hitting the exact same place on the lane) bowling two balls consecutively, an aggressive and non-aggressive. The non-aggressive would hit say between the 6-10 pin, the aggressive would reach the pocket (1-3 pins) or even over-react hitting the brooklyn (1-2). By making the action the same you cancel out the bowler and the difference in reaction can then be attributed to the ball. This is a good video (For all the usuals to this site it has been posted before – so please not “this has been posted before posts) that explains what I am trying to say a bit better than I am saying it and is more interesting than me also! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFn6eP7bPA).
At 6.35 onwards in the clip explains the scenario I wrote about above.

Some good articles to read if you are really interested are below.
Weight blocks - http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=12811&f=21
Cover stocks - http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=12843&f=21

Hope this helps

Rhyss.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFn6eP7bPA).
link did not work. But i understand what you are getting at as i am a fast release bowler and have trouble getting a ball to work, i know a lot of it is me but tring to work things out is hard lol

Sorry, the way the forum auto links it tried to put the ')' on the end of the link try without it. I.E [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFn6eP7bPA"]YouTube - Bowling Ball History[/ame]

Back
Top Bottom