Should There Be Limit on the Amount of Units Of OIL on the Lane

KnuckleHead

Vic Represent
Tonight at forest hill the lanes where flooded with all a total of 90 units but the head tech said he had set it at 80 units of oil all length at 37 foot but i think for that length it's abit stupid cause your ball dosen't hook unless it's sanded or throw the ball at a lower speed. From lanes 13-20 there wasn't a problem it was from 21-28 and they where doing different things all night. example 25 hook's 2 boards and 26 hooks 18 boards and you shoot the same line on both lanes.

Can i ask what every other center has on there lanes dosen't matter which center or state your from just would like to know.

Chris Castle (Vic) :p

I've read questions similar to this on other forums and the reason i think it's an OK idea is this. The vicious circle of stronger ball, whoops need more oil, stronger ball so people can still 'hook' the ball, ahhh more oil!!!!, ahhhhhh!!! stronger ball....you get the picture. A maximum amount of oil slices the vicious circle forever, about 50-60 units in the middle is plenty, the sponges will just have to stay in the bag or come out only on a longer pattern....ahh what the hell lets chop that to 37-38ft as well. Sure reading about these new balls makes lots of people want to reach for the wallet but we've had a bit too much of a good thing for a while now(since about 1995 by my reckoning) c'mon people isn't about time we pulled on the reins and tried to slow down the runaway horse a little?

Im the opposite, i want more and more oil, with the amount of hook balls are given these days, and evolution nearly making stroker extinct, the majority of bowlers would be regarded as high rev ,anyways.....australian lanes are far too dry, ive bowled overseas, not competitively...just onholidays in the U, the oil is soooo heavy, our medium is their dry, i was able to shoot, down 10 with a lot of revs, and it was beautiful, too much emphasis on how many boardsone can cover and not enough accuracy, probably why weve only got a handful of pro material bowlers

No there shouldn't be a maximum limit to the amount of oil but if anything there should be a minimum limit. The more oil put done on a lane the better and i believe all lane conditions in this country should be regulated to a minimum of 40 ft at 3:1 and at least 10 units on the outside. Now only then would I be happy because you have to then learn how to be accurate which then puts you in good stead for when you bowl tournaments.

Now with all due respect to The head tech at Forest Hill but he wouldn't know a decent lane condition if he tripped of one, not to mention the Summit at that centre is not in the best of condition from when I saw it last. Now that could have a lot to do with the inconsistency of the lane condition. Not to mention the fact that Forest Hill is on the 3rd floor of the shopping centre, heat rises from the floors below which in turn heats the lane beds then in turn heats up the lanes therefore creating an ugly messy condition.

Matthew Lambrick

Its like golf....a par 5 is 500 metres, they come out with new club and ball technology and its 550m...5 years later new technology and the par 5 is 600m. They are going the wrong way. Instead of battling the technology, take it out of the equation and bring it back to the player ability. Instead of a 600 metre par 5, make it 450, but give the golfer a 20m wide target area instead of 50. Take the 320 metre booming drive out of the equation by throwing water in that area.

Same with bowling...dont battle the technology, nullify it :) Like Adrian said, overoil them, or underoil them. Make it so that you have to hit 2 boards with the righ speed and release, not 6 boards. Players will play coast to coast or on the wall with massive flaring balls if you let them....the answer? dont let them :D

Hello all,

Interesting topic.

Question 1. What is the object of our sport?
Answer. To knock down as many pins as we can on the first ball.

Question 2. What if we dont strike?
Answer. We adjust 1-2 boards left or right, change balls, watever

Question 3. What if the lanes are really oily and I cant hook my ball? (complain to the center about the head tech oiling too much?)
Answer. No, Adjust to the lane condition, change balls

Question 4. What if the lanes hook too much? (complain to the center about the head tech not oiling enough?)

Lets be serious about this gents and I agree with Matt, different centers create different atmospheres and abviously lane conditions. What annoys me the most is bowlers complaining and taking the time to complain about the equipment not hooking enough to combat oily lanes or vice versa when the lanes hook too much.

Lets all go bak to basics, I have been bolwing for a long time and I was taught the conventional way where it did not matter how beautiful the ball looked going down the lane and blowing the pins away. It is about hitting the target and making the ADJUSTMENTS.

By the way, I scored a 650++ series last night in Forest Hill so the lanes were playable.

My fellow bowlers, as much power is available out there, the most important things that every bowler in the planet needs to do is adjust to any condition, make the changes and go out there and bowl to the best of your ability.

Leo

Matto said:
Better too much oil than not enough i say...

Amen to that brother.

By international standards, that volume over only 37 feet is not excessive. I have bowled on more than that in the US and at FIQ level, and those who know me will say that I am not the best heavy oil player. THe reality is tho, that any ball on any condition can strike. You may just have to adjust and even swallow your pride and point the ball to the pocket. Lord knows I have had to do that more often than not.

Matto said:
Better too much oil than not enough i say...

Bring it on. The more better. Lets have some fun, and reduce the area game. after all if you recue the oil, the area for a number of power players increases dramatically.

I love the area game, makes scoring so much more fun, but when you have to start to hit a target, it makes it very hard if you are not doing it on a regular basis.

I love the golf analogy!! And just like in golf where you have players who can hit the ball miles, versus those that have fantastic short games, all who play the same courses and do so on a level playing field, bowling should be the same.

It should be about skill, and it should be just as easy (or hard) for different styles of player - crankers and strokers - and they should both have the same sort of target area to hit. The game sure is fun when you get 220+ every game (which I have never done), but regular high scores don't encourage players to improve their skills.

Less oil or more oil, create a condition which is a level playing field for all bowling types, not make the game about who can crank the most revs, and go coast to coast the most often.

Cheers,

Vaughnn

must say, if you have too much oil in your centre, your very lucky!
Here in qld, unless you bowl at an independent centre, you don't see much, if any oil!

Lots of Oil is good, the problem at forest hill is the back end can't cope with so much oil and we get loads of sliding pins and the lanes change dramatically from day to day. All people in the center want is consistency :confused:

There's actually a point where the vicious circle i described previously comes to an end by itself. There is a limit to how much of this stuff you can actually put down on a lane, go past that point and the amount of oil physically makes the ball slow down because of friction, the ball is (i'm guessing) trying to 'swim' through oil when this happens. cant remember where i read this, probably in the foundation newsletter. Anyone else come across similar information to this?

melboleo said:
Hello all,

Interesting topic.

Question 1. What is the object of our sport?
Answer. To knock down as many pins as we can on the first ball.

Question 2. What if we dont strike?
Answer. We adjust 1-2 boards left or right, change balls, watever

Question 3. What if the lanes are really oily and I cant hook my ball? (complain to the center about the head tech oiling too much?)

Question 4. What if the lanes hook too much? (complain to the center about the head tech not oiling enough?)

Lets be serious about this gents and I agree with Matt, different centers create different atmospheres and abviously lane conditions. What annoys me the most is bowlers complaining and taking the time to complain about the equipment not hooking enough to combat oily lanes or vice versa when the lanes hook too much.

Lets all go bak to basics, I have been bolwing for a long time and I was taught the conventional way where it did not matter how beautiful the ball looked going down the lane and blowing the pins away. It is about hitting the target and making the ADJUSTMENTS.

By the way, I scored a 650++ series last night in Forest Hill so the lanes were playable.

My fellow bowlers, as much power is available out there, the most important things that every bowler in the planet needs to do is adjust to any condition, make the changes and go out there and bowl to the best of your ability.

Leo
Leo gr8 advise bro.. :D good bowler's never complains..its all in the head!! Adjust to the condition of the lanes and do ur best ! :D and of coz get few new balls ..lol kidding :D n congrats to ur 300 game :cool:

the trouble with more oil is more machine problems ball returns not returning balls because of the oil build up on the rollers front and backend?....... :(

I am sorry to say but with the right adjustments, correct maintenance and regular proper bowling ball preparation it won't matter how much oil you put down on the lanes the balls will be returned from the back.

Matthew Lambrick

Resurrection said:
I am sorry to say but with the right adjustments, correct maintenance and regular proper bowling ball preparation it won't matter how much oil you put down on the lanes the balls will be returned from the back.

Matthew Lambrick

we run kickers and it makes it harder....so many contributing factors kicker roller condition, elevator height, distance between sideplates, starter pad condition and position, filler pads position and condition, type of rudder arm drive, spring tension on kickers etc etc...sometimes when enough contributing factors are met...the ball aint coming back when the lane is loaded with oil. Of course, get all this right and there shouldnt be too many probs :)

kickers WILL affect the amounts of oil you can put on your lanes

off spots WILL affect the amount of oil you can put on your lanes too

everything else wont be affected by the amount of oil you put on your lanes, it just shows up how poorly maintained you are.

and for anyone having troubles with YO-YO's get a gripper PBL kit from amf, thats the last you will see of them

the question being should there be a limit yes, in kegel talk its a minimum of 16 ml/ lane, should there be a maximum? while the ball companies keep pumping out sponges, we will continue to protect our lanes

there is no point talking units

because there is a huge difference between 80 units on a reading that covers from 2-2 against a reading that gets lumpy from 10 - 10

Back
Top Bottom