SHOULD ALCOHOL BE BANNED FROM SANCTIONED BOWLING?

Hi again everyone , i have spoken to several other governing bodies in other sports and they seem to think ,actually they said alcohol is a banned substance and is a code violation in thier sports so my point is alcohol should and will be banned from all sanctioned tenpin bowling including league and tournament play because drugs(alcohol) breaks the code under section what ever in the bowling code ,averages used in the australian championships are gained from league play .The only way to know if anyone is not gaining an advantage is to ban alcohol .Its like this , if you had a 196 average and i had a 196 average and you were doing your best and you couldnt afford to buy alcohol but you knew if you could take the pressure off your self buy buying a drink or three of alcohol .**** , just go to the bar and gain an advantage over the poor bugger you are playing against ,you know he is on the dole and cant offord to gain an advantage ,that seems fair doesnt it?????????? **** , have a whole bottle of scotch if you think you can win by doing so , there is no rule to say you cant

And by the way , how the hell is bowling ever going to be allowed into the olympics whilst averages are gained mostly during league play , if i was on a committee selecting sports that should be concidered for the olympics , it shure aswell wouldnt be a sport that bases its self on drinking . Although a jackass olympics would probably suit better cause half the **** you see them do fits my whole conversation (being alcohol related) if anyone doesnt know what jack ass is , youtube it

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

this is funny, sorry but i do not see what advantage you get from drinking, If you ask me the more you drink the less balance you have. As i said in yr other post, in nation tornament you not allowed to buy alcohole so what is the fuss

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

this is funny, sorry but i do not see what advantage you get from drinking, If you ask me the more you drink the less balance you have. As i said in yr other post, in nation tornament you not allowed to buy alcohole so what is the fuss

LOL ,sorry mate ,do you own shares in AMF????????

my point being , just for arguement say , imagine if alcohol (terry paul 300) would give you a more relaxed shot or mechanical approach or took the edge off you or made you walk straight or what ever , would anyone say that you would be gaining an advantage or not???????????????? ,if not , why all the cuffuffalll about me being pissed and shooting a 475 series????? i guess if you are allowed to drink alcohol or consume it during any sanctioned tenpin bowling , hell ,im gunna get smashed before and during bowling cause i have bowled three perfect games out of my eighteen 300 games sanctioned and unsantioned whilst i was hammered , cheers

I am not completely sure where you are going with this, but at national level of any sport alcohol is banned....unless its the national drinking contest. I would put league bowling on par with local footy, and i have seen the occasional player in the forward or backline having a can sitting behind one of the goal posts, sure you cant get away with this at professional level but league is a social event. Could you imagine trying to ban alcohol in a pub during a pool night comp??

Hi again everyone , i have spoken to several other governing bodies in other sports and they seem to think ,actually they said alcohol is a banned substance and is a code violation in thier sports so my point is alcohol should and will be banned from all sanctioned tenpin bowling including league and tournament play because drugs(alcohol) breaks the code under section what ever in the bowling code ,averages used in the australian championships are gained from league play .The only way to know if anyone is not gaining an advantage is to ban alcohol .Its like this , if you had a 196 average and i had a 196 average and you were doing your best and you couldnt afford to buy alcohol but you knew if you could take the pressure off your self buy buying a drink or three of alcohol .**** , just go to the bar and gain an advantage over the poor bugger you are playing against ,you know he is on the dole and cant offord to gain an advantage ,that seems fair doesnt it?????????? **** , have a whole bottle of scotch if you think you can win by doing so , there is no rule to say you cant

What's next? Everyone to have their equipment checked before league and a lane reading so you are playing on exactly what is to suppose to be layed ?

Get over it. Most people treat league as competition with a social aspect and depending what level you want whether its competition or social the league members decide on it at their AGM.

I think you should " Backup " and pursue it thru the correct channels if you feel this is the option for the league your in.

Hammo

On most occasions I think it would be a disdvantage, normally it should lower the scores the more the alcohol affects you.
As has been mentioned already, in any national tournament the consumption of alcohol & smoking is banned from the time you commence bowling.
Still doesnt stop you getting pissed before you get to the bowl I suppose.

I have to admit I qualified for the 1988 Australian Masters absolutely maggoted. While I never had a drink while actually bowling, the 20+ beers I consumed after we had won Rachuig that afternoon did have an effect. Lucky we were only staying 20 metres from the bowl as I couldnt have staggered much further.

Top qualifier, 1380 for 6 games.

Yes, more than a couple of alcoholic drinks usually will hinder a bowler from performing at their true ability. That said, for more than one PBA champion, a drink or two, and in some cases a few tokes of weed was just the thing they needed in order to calm their nerves before bowling on TV. Yes, it's illegal and against the rules, but I can't even count the number of times my opponent was sipping an alcoholic beverage out of a paper cup during the match play portion of a PBA Tour stop. Nothing short of a full blown drug testing program will put a stop to this practice. We all know that the cost of such tests becomes prohibitive, therefore nothing is likely to be done about the abuse for years to come.

What's next? Everyone to have their equipment checked before league and a lane reading so you are playing on exactly what is to suppose to be layed ?

Get over it. Most people treat league as competition with a social aspect and depending what level you want whether its competition or social the league members decide on it at their AGM.

I think you should " Backup " and pursue it thru the correct channels if you feel this is the option for the league your in.

Hammo

DO YOU WORK 4 AMF ASWELL????

paul, while i sort of understand what you are TRYING to say, the consumption of alcohol has NOTHING to do with your situation... as in, i know of you, i dont know you, but i do know that you have the ability to throw more than a 200 average in league, tournament or with your eyes closed..

after reading your other posts and johns reply, i think this is no bearing on the consumption of alcohol during league.. its about YOUR ACTUAL ability.. alcohol in this matter is totally null and void.. that is the part YOU are missing..

john & that league know full well that you can bowl, everyone is tassie knows you can bowl.. so the point i believe is you have the natural ability to average ALOT higher than your 150 odd that you threw the other night, and as someone previously has stated, it could be classed as sandbagging.. and this would be correct.. intentionally bowling less than your ability is just that, sandbagging..

last year i bowled in our state championships for the hell of it (still unsure why lol) i had not bowled league for over 4 years, however i was still given a 200 average for the weekend due to my past.. every tournament i had bowled in for the years leading up to it, i averaged over 200 and performed.. in my day i could bowl, not so much any more probly lol... however my point is, people know i can bowl (could) and regardless of what i said and the fact i hadnt bowled league for years or even actually bowled for 6 months, i was still classed on a 200 ave.. is that fair???????????????

so again my point in your situation is, regardless of ur drunken attempt at bowling, you CAN indeed bowl, you have results to show that, YOU have the ability to shoot the scores so hence the average you were given..

i dont think this forum is going to get you any where.... having a go at others for voicing their opinion, when it is you that has in fact opened this can up for their thoughts..

onto the second part of your argument.... banning drinking of alcohol in league..... i do not work for amf, never will, but know alotta ppl that do and i dont think their bar sales are as good as what you think they are.. banning alcohol consumption is not the answer to anything.. i know of people that cant function unless they have a few drinks, not to the stage they are smashed, but you can tell they have been drinking. i like my booze as much as the next person, but i can honestly tell you that alcohol does NOT improve my bowling.. i lose the plot and average about 160 lol.. clearly being under the influence of alcohol does the same to you.... tell me one thing tho, are you going to rock up to that league EVERY week in the same state??? if you can 100% guarantee that, then your league is in the wrong, but i dont think you can..

so in summary, this is not the place to air tassies dirty laundry again, it is a matter for your association and tba i guess.. this has nothing to do with booze or amf.. so i hope you lay off the people that give you their thoughts and opinions.. no doubt you will give me what for, but all i am trying to say is you needa look at the situation for what it ACTUALLY is, and forget about the booze i think..

this is just my opinion, and like i have said, i have also been victim of being a better bowler.....

take care and good luck paul..
martina

last year i bowled in our state championships for the hell of it (still unsure why lol) i had not bowled league for over 4 years, however i was still given a 200 average for the weekend due to my past.. every tournament i had bowled in for the years leading up to it, i averaged over 200 and performed.. in my day i could bowl, not so much any more probly lol... however my point is, people know i can bowl (could) and regardless of what i said and the fact i hadnt bowled league for years or even actually bowled for 6 months, i was still classed on a 200 ave.. is that fair???????????????

Different circumstances ms, this was tournament play not weekday league have fun play, of course in tournaments if you havent held a league average for 4 years as you said they will find an average for you and unfortunately for you it was your most recent tournament average.

This guy bowled league and bowled bad, now surely this will all change over the next few weeks of bowling league and his average will adjust accordingly. Depending on the points system being used in the league that got upset about it 1 player can make a big difference or not much at all, as its still up to the rest of the team to do their bit for a team to be succesful.

As for alcohol in tournaments i wonder why it is banned, is it to stop people getting ****faced and making an ass of themselves, or it is because some people can bowl better under the influence, if anything you think the rest of the team would say something about somebody drinking. What about banning of coffee over long tournaments as that helps people stay awake as opposed to people that dont drink coffee, its not like alcohol is an illegal substance. Shall a rule also be brought in that bowlers must have a minimum of 8 hours sleep before bowling and fingernails all be trimmed to a required length, also wheres the difference between having a 6 pack before bowling or drinking a 6 pack while bowling

As for alcohol in tournaments i wonder why it is banned, is it to stop people getting ****faced and making an ass of themselves, or it is because some people can bowl better under the influence, if anything you think the rest of the team would say something about somebody drinking.

I would imagine it has something to do with both the image of the sport and trying to get more people to take the sport seriously.
I cant think of too many other sports where the competitors enjoy a drink during play. Plus the fact that there are often spectators and Juniors present during tournament play. I can just imagine a parent trying to encourage his kid to take up the sport if the leading lights are all half cut.
I doubt that it has anything to do with performance - a couple of drinks before hand might steady the nerves but too many certainly wont help.

not sure what started this, but having read your posts, I am thinking you need to do a couple of things very quickly - on would be take anger management classes, second would be that if you only want opinions that match your own you should only talk to the mirror and not to a national forum. As far as your questions go, are you "annoyed" that someone is drinking or that someone else can afford to drink and you can't, if that is the case the third thing you need to do is learn how to budget better if that is what you want to do. As for "needing" a drink to relax yourself, perhaps you "need" to get some help for alcoholism.

and no, I don't work for AMF just getting mighty miffed at people who post on what they know to be a national forum and then get ticked off because the answers are not what they want and they determine as a result of that people should not be posting.

league is league - tournament is tournament, the only time your league average comes into it is when you fill out the paperwork, the rest is up to what you do on the lanes, so maybe you should do a bit more on the lanes.

Holding a 196-200+ ave, and then turning up & bowling 475 in league (regardless of sobriety level)...

There is only one word to describe this action - SANDBAGGING!!!

Alcohol doesn't even enter the equation in this scenario, in my opinon.

Enough said.

Well I say no !!!!
See my partner on thursday nights at league wont let me bowl if I haven't had a drink ....True.

Holding a 196-200+ ave, and then turning up & bowling 475 in league (regardless of sobriety level)...

There is only one word to describe this action - SANDBAGGING!!!

Alcohol doesn't even enter the equation in this scenario, in my opinon.

Enough said.

Not necessarily, altho i do see where ur coming from...and under normal circumstances probably would b sandbagging

But i hold an average of 206 in one of my leagues, but recently i bowled consecutive series of 481 then 435, but then the following week i went back to normal with 622 series. I can tell you now that i definitely was not sandbagging, although i was the first one to start the 'sandbagger!' jokes on myself!! I simply had 2 bad nights, because i was bowling 600+ series during the week in practice.

That is all...i dont use alcohol in this sport (or any other) but it doesnt bother me if my opponents do at league level. Tournament level may be a different story, but i have never had to put up with some drunk f*** as my opponent, so i do not know how i would feel about that just yet.

PS: I do not work for AMF

But i hold an average of 206 in one of my leagues, but recently i bowled consecutive series of 481 then 435, but then the following week i went back to normal with 622 series. I can tell you now that i definitely was not sandbagging, although i was the first one to start the 'sandbagger!' jokes on myself!! I simply had 2 bad nights, because i was bowling 600+ series during the week in practice.
PS: I do not work for AMF

I see what you are saying, and yes, I agree good bowlers can have bad nights. (I myself have been known to throw the odd sub 500 every now and then). I think in this case though, it has been established that this guy "backup scout" (sorry, don't know your real name), is a very experienced bowler, (as he himself stated in one of his earlier posts, he's bowled something like 18 x 300 games!!), and it seems to be common knowledge amongst the people in the league he bowls, that he IS a 200+ bowler, so therefore, I believe the league officials got this one right, in giving him a 190 average.

He cannot have been trying to achieve anything, other than 30-40 pins handicap by bowling so bad, when everybody knows that is well below his ability.

Back
Top Bottom