Seniors For Manilla

There has been so little discussed on this forum, but so much via emails, phone calls, and behind the scenes discussions around selection criteria for National Senior team selection, and the make up of the present teams for Manilla, specifically the Men's Seniors teams, and maybe one other.

I would like to have a meeting at the Canberra Seniors Cup for mainly the squad listed, however an open invitaton extends to all seniors competing in the tour this year.

The reason is there is not an acceptable or unilateral agreement on what selection to the Seniors National Teams should be or is, as it stands the bulk of us who spends $1000's a year to go around this country competing on the seniors tour to challenge for ranking points with the carrot of National selection is seeing the "Seniors" cheapened by the selection criteria where someone can also be selected if they simply compete in the Nationals only and not even have to be on the rankings...this is way out of balance.

I have spoken to Gillian some time ago and she asked me to come up with a model that could be looked at, I have spoken to many at different times with little unanimous agreement, so I would like an open forum, to look firstly at what form the criteria and what qualifies someone for National selection.

The second part of the meeting is to open up discussions on the team make ups for Manilla, as many have indicated but few are willing to say publicly, the make up seem unbalanced, specifically the Men's seniors teams.

We are all in agreeance that the ranking positions, the tournament finishes over the last 12 or so months, and cross section of tournaments across the country, not just in our own states, doesn't seem to have been taken too much into consideration.

So to get everyone on the same page, I would like us all to get together in the same room and get us all working together, because if we don't guys, the amount of pressure TBA has had to deal with since the teams were announced has been far greater than most in the past, the end result could very well be, they throw there hands in the air and say the seniors is all too hard.

We need to take responsibility and show TBA not only what we need and which direction we wish to go, but to also give them a unilateral solution, as it is all too common practice to pooh pooh something without offering viable alternatives or solid supportive arguments.

I have invited representative(s) from TBA, what we need to do is come up with a time, Saturday is the obvious day, we could us the upper meeting room of the bowl, it should take no more than an hour, if we all come with the idea taking responsibility of our destiny.

Please think about it and come up with ideas, models, systems whatever as somewhere amongst all this there is the right mix.

You could use this forum to get models thought about to minimise time at the meeting, however pllease use it positively not negatively....

Thanks

Paul Terry

I'd like to help, but I can't even get a straight answer out of the TBA office. All I asked Gillian was for the number of bowlers who nominated for Manila and I was told if and when the TBA wanted to make that information public, they'd do so on their site.
personally i belive that every bowler who nominated was given the opportunity to travel to Manila. These are not representative teams, but simply a bunch of bowlers with the time and means to travel overseas. if I'm wrong, pleaese tell me different and show me the number of bowlers who were not selected.

How were the team make-up decided Paul? Was it the bowlers who picked their own team or what? and why do you feel the teams are unbalanced? Do you not believe we should put our 'best' bowlers all together on the "A" team?

Hi Paul
would hope everyone including TBA would be keen to disscuss the issues or put their view that there are no issues, see you in Canberra
Wayne
I believe that the privacy of people who nominated but where not selected is more impotant than satisfying your curiosity, that being said TBA could have indicted to you how many people nominated with out giving their names.
On your second point (These are not representative teams, but simply a bunch of bowlers with the time and means to travel overseas.)
Australia is eligible to send Four teams in each division and each one of those bowlers picked is proud to represent their Country, if not then why would they spend their own money to go, whether or not they have the means is their business and I do not think they should be demined because they are willing to put their hands up.
On your third point (Do you not believe we should put our 'best' bowlers all together on the "A" team? ) I think the point Paul is trying to get across is that the best singles bowlers do not always make the best team bowlers and some consideration should be given to personallities and prefered postional play, for example not much good having 4 bowlers who all like to bowl first or second in one team?

Chris Kirwin

I think the point Paul is trying to get across is that the best singles bowlers do not always make the best team bowlers and some consideration should be given to personallities and prefered postional play, for example not much good having 4 bowlers who all like to bowl first or second in one team?

Some singles bowlers Do and can make team players !!! And some don't care what position they play!

As a young one here (barely 50, many years younger than Paul ) I think this is a good idea what you have suggested Paul. If I had seen clearly that I was able to nominate myself I might have given it a thought. (Maybe) If it's anything like the ATBSO Nationals (Fun times) it would be good.
However no guarantee I might have made a team.

I'm all for having some sort of criteria, and maybe next time I may look forward to nominating for such a event (pending wife permission and funding off course)

cheers

Tony

Hi Paul

Unfortunately, I won't be in Canberra - however, Alan McKay will be there and hopefully will be able to make the meeting. Please advise when and where it will be....I presume Tuggeranong Bowl??

I think you have made some valid points Paul. I agree that you have to bowl in the Nationals and also be on the ranking list - I am not certain but I think the teams (I am speaking about the senior ladies) were selected in their ranking order.

I also agree that we spend many $$$$ travelling around the country and there are quite a few of us that do so - if they are high on the ranking list, then they should be considered to be selected for the National "team". I am certain that the outcome from a Japan meeting, it was decided to select teams of 4 bowlers and as to the number of teams allowed to participate - that is on the Asian Bowling web site.

I also think there should be further criteria - a person (I won't mention names) advised me that the next time (in 2 years) the teams "may" be selected on a "roll off". I believe that this would be a good idea. We all travel for tournaments and are paid according to our positions in the tournament. Why shouldn't the teams be selected in the same way e.g. a roll off where the first 4 bowlers in the first team, next 4 bowlers in the second team etc......naturally in the senior and grand senior categories.

As the state teams are selected in this way, why can't the National teams be???

Good luck in Canberra everyone.

Cheers
Annie

I am hoping that after 'B' squad on Saturday we will be able to get the room, this way we could thrash something out, then maybe on Sunday, if there is not an agreement at the meeting, to pass round the bowl, copies of suggestions to which we could add and subtract, then I would post it here and we can run a poll and get the best from the weekend, with a final criteria we have a consensus on and put that to TBA.

As we can see, there are differing views, with no clarity on what we could or couldn't do, for mine, I couldn't for the life of me unnderstand why Tony's name wasn't on the list, however not knowing the eligibility or criteria has kept one of the best bowlers on our tour, out of the squad, this is what we need to correct, to have everyone, selectors and bowlers know exactly what criteria is needed to be met to make the squad, and to have belief the selection criteria is for the betterment of senior bowling.

Those of us who went to Japan will tell you, the other nations involved are not passing this over as a bunch of oldies wanting to do a like activity!!....they mean business.

For those who have been a little worried about the activities on te southern Islands, I have information we can share that may settle you a bit.

See you soon

Paul

Paul

Unfortunately I had to pull out of Canberra so I was unable to discuss this with you. The TBA have formed a sub-committee to look at all issues to do with Tournaments, Team selection, Ratings points, etc,

I am on that sub-committee and I will put this issue on the agenda when we meet for the first time 25th April. If there is anything else specifically that you would like me to raise send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks Belly, see you in Melbourne in May

Back
Top Bottom