Restricted Masters Tournaments.

bm2

I'm still standin'
This is something that probably doesn't interest the elite bowlers, but may affect a vast majority of viewers in this forum.
I am curious as to how the various states around Australia format their Restricted Masters tournaments.....other bowlers have led me to believe that the instigation of the RM tournies was so that the lower average bowlers, mainly B grade and below, were able to have a serious tournament against bowlers of their own skill level, and these matches were scratch scores plus handicap to make a level playing field for all. We all know that B & C grade bowlers are able to have the occasional high game, but not consistently enough to match it with the A graders and above, and the same goes for a D grader, who wants to compete in a serious event.
Coming from the NT, the state and city restricted masters are handicapped events for B grade and below, and follow the same grading as has been used by TBA for the National masters tournament. The Qld state championships have just been completed, and their restricted masters was scratch only, and some of the bowlers there were Classic and A grade. One C grade bowler pulled out of the final before the first ball was bowled when she realised there was no handicap included....is this a level playing field?
I am not having a whinge at all, (with the s**t I bowled, no handicap would have helped me in that tournament!!!) just merely curious as to what the other states do, and wonder why it is one format at a state level, and a totally different one for the National level?
If you are going to have a restricted tournament with no handicap, then it seems to me that we lower averaged bowlers who want to donate our entry fees so badly, should just compete in the open category and be done with it!

(ps - congratulations and well done to those successful bowlers in all the masters events at Toowoomba this weekend)

Broni :lol: :shock: :roll:

well said bmsquared

the majority of bowlers in this forum are graded bowlers, and they form the majority of numbers in any championship......anywhere.
i was at toowoomba on the weekend and heard many opinions of the new rm format........not many favoured the current cut off ave.
this year the mens rm ave cut off is 184,,,,,,,,a massive jump from 164 last year.
i believe that 164 was too low but also think that 184 is too high.......maybe something inbetween for next year would be fairer for the lower guys and it definately has to be hcp.
tuff conditions they where on friday night and local bowlers, or ones playing down the left scored better.
the mens winner was a local leftie and played outside boards all night......well done bruce, a great win.

we will always be a contentious view on averages in bowling, what system of averages worked 10-20 years ago may not be suited with the current gear and conditions of today........remember it was only about 10 years ago that the classic division was added.............it may be time for a change again.
let tba or your state assoc know of your thoughts i,m sure as bowlers we have the right to share our views and i,m also sure that they will be willing to listen.

Restricted Cup Requirements in Victoria.

Men:
Average – 180 and Under
Handicap 80% of 200.

Women:
Average – 170 and Under
Handicap 80% of 200.

TO QUALIFY FOR THE FINAL ENTRANTS MUST NOMINATE AND PAY $5.00 MASTERS/VETERANS/RESTRICTED CUP ENTRY FEE PRIOR TO BOWLING ANY SQUAD.

Qualifying: (Closes last squad on Saturday 18th May 2002)

Veteran Masters Finals $40.00 Based on Top 8 2 Game Blocks
Adult Masters Finals $40.00 Based on Top 8 2 Game Blocks
Restricted Cup Final $40.00 Based on Top 8 2 Game Blocks

Prizes: Shirt, Trophy & Free Entry into Australian Masters, Veteran Masters or Restricted Cup, whichever is applicable.

Thanks Pedro.......we now know what Qld, NT & Vic does for their tournies, but what of the others? C'mon NSW, Tas, SA, ACT & WA...what format is provided at your state championships for the lower average bowler? You cannot a comparison make with only 3 out of 8 states and territories represented........ :?

Well on behalf of the Tassie State Association I can let you know the format we followed this year for our Restricted State Masters.
We followed the National average cut offs this year, so for the men it was 184. I can't recall the ladies off the top of my head sorry. Our final was run on a scratch basis anyway, that I am sure of. :)

Kassey Fechner.

Back
Top Bottom