Research/ Bowling Tournament UPDATE

STEROID

Hi Everyone,

I have gotten ethics approval for the research/ bowling tournament to go ahead and I will be finalising everything hopefully this week. Although the venue and price is not yet confirmed, it looks like the tournament will be held on August 30-31, and will be a 10 game tournament with 5 FREE games (sponsored by the University of Ballarat) on the Saturday for those that take part in the research (i.e., fill out some questionnaires).

Watch this space for more information.

Dr. Chris

Dear everyone,
After many phone calls and emails to find the cheapest lineage, Mentone Tenpin Bowl will host the bowling tournament largely because Steve Arundell is willing to do anything to promote the sport and credibility of tenpin bowling.
Thus, I am proud to announce the 2008 University of Ballarat Research Tournament. Here are the details of the tournament:

Where will the tournament be held? Mentone Tenpin Bowl (Corner of Warrigal Road & Nepean Highway) Mentone, Victoria 3195 Tel: (03) 9583 1244 Fax: (03) 9583 1246
When is the tournament? Sunday, August 31, 2008, with optional participation in the research on Saturday, August 30, 2008.
How much? $100 per person (with an optional 5 free games if you participate in the bowling research on Saturday).
What is the tournament format? This is a SCRATCH tournament. 10 games broken up into 5 games of total pinfall and 5 games of matchplay (for all bowlers). Top 3 stepladder final (dependent on lane availability and 10-game completion time... will be determined on the day of tournament).
What are the tournament squad times?
Sunday August 31st
A squad- check in at 8:30am Start 9am
B squad- check in at 10:30am Start 11am
A squad returns to bowl matchplay- start bowling at 1:30pm
B squad returns to bowl matchplay- start bowling at 3:30pm
What is the prize fund payout? There will be 3 separate chances to win prize money. Payout of prize money be at least 1 in 4 and will be based on:
1. Total pinfall during the first 5 games
2. Bowlers matchplay record during the second 5 games (with total pinfall breaking any “ties”)
3. Overall total pinfall with bonus pins included.
What times are the Saturday research “practice squads”?
Squad times will be as follows but will be on a “shotgun” start basis. That is, those people not arriving at the start time be placed on a waiting list and will start their 5 games practice once a pair of lanes becomes available or enough bowlers are there to fill a pair of lanes.
Saturday August 30th
A squad- Start 9am
B squad- Start 11am
C squad- Start 1:30pm
D squad- Start 3:30pm

Entry forms will follow soon. You can enter the tournament using this forum. Just reply to the thread with the following details
Your name
Preferred squad time for the tournament (Sunday only)
Will you participate in the research (and get 5 games of practice on Saturday August 30 ABSOLUTELY FREE)?
If participating in the research, which “practice squad” will you bowl in on Saturday?

I’ll try to update the tournament and research list once a week. Please remember that at least 30 bowlers are needed for this tournament and research to continue. If at least 30 entries are not received by Sunday, August 24, 2008 (or numbers fall below 30 after this date), I will cancel the event.

This tournament will be limited to 50 bowlers and, if numbers exceed 50 at any time, bowlers signed up as research participants will be given priority to bowl in the tournament (over those who want to bowl in the tournament without taking part in the research).

If you have any questions about the research you can go to this link http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=27019 or feel free to email me at [email protected]
Dr. Chris

Hi All,

Find attached the entry form for the 2008 University of Ballarat Research Tournament.

For those bowlers who think that they shouldn't compete (or are not good enough) for a scratch tournament, I would urge you to reconsider especially if you are looking for tournament experience. With 5 games of matchplay built into the format, it would be some of the best experience you could get in a tournament.

Also, if you participate in the research (5 games free), it is probably the best value for money in bowling tournaments you will see for a long time (considering the cost of living and lineage fees is increasing)! 15 games for $100 and a chance to win your money back! I would dare ANY tournament director to BEAT THAT... for the bowlers of course!

I'll update the list soon.

Dr. Chris

Attachments

• 2008 UB tournament ad FV.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 78
Hi Everyone,

Just updating that there are 5 people signed up for the tournament thus far. When I have 10 people, I'll start a squad list.

Come on bowlers, where are the 30+ bowlers that suggested they would bowl if I organised the tournament? If you love bowling and want to promote the sport, this should be the tournament for you (not to mention the VALUE FOR MONEY if you participate in the research on Saturday)!!!! PLEASE help me promote the sport through research and hopefully this is the first step in seeing an increase in participation numbers rather than a decline!

If you have any questions, my details are on the tournament ad.

Dr. Chris

Still have not reached 10 entries yet into the tournament, but still am optimistic that the tournament will go ahead with 1 month left until commencement.

Hope you all will get behind this initiative.

Dr. Chris

Hey Chris
Put us down for this Tournament, we'll both be there.
Happy to support the sport through research and happy to support a person who has supported so many people in the past
Graeme & Nat

STERIOD... Put me down for the event because i know it will be a benifit to be apart of the research and to get me better with my bowling.

Jimmy Bowles

Doc, please put me down for both the research and the tournament (considering Jimmy didn't!)

Once I have discussed this with Jimmy, I will revert back to you with a squad.

Cheers,
Craig

P.S. Jimbo, whilst tanning your bottom tomorrow, I will teach you how to spell benefit. hahaha. You will get great benefit out of my teachings into the future :p

Thanks so much for those of you that have showed interest in the research tournament.

Find attached a squad list thus far. If you have signed up but are in the wrong squad, please let me know and I'll change it.

Keep the numbers coming and it should be a great tournament and a great outcome for bowling generally!

Dr. Chris

Attachments

• 2008 UB tournament squad list.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 67
Hi Everyone,

Here is another update about who I have signed up for this tournament. It appears that I have attracted a recently retired Australian Team member to come out of retirement just for this tournament...

Hopefully everyone else will come out and support this tournament also. Come on guys, the support of the bowling community is needed here. Get behind this initiative, the sport needs your help.

Dr. Chris

Attachments

17 KB · Views: 87
Hi Everyone,

With a bit over a week to go, we still only have about 16 entries for this tournament. I will be at Epping at the Sport Series tournament on Saturday trying to get more entries. If you are considering bowling it and will be at the sport series tournament, come and speak with me about it and hopefully we can sign you up. If I don't have around 30 entries, I may have to cancel the tournament. I'll inform you on Monday August 25 about how things are going.

Dr. Chris

Hi Everyone,

While I was at the sport series tournament, I managed to sign up 4 people (which brings the total to around 20 people) with some others letting me know whether they will bowl by Monday. Thus, during the relatively long drive home to Ballarat after the sport series tournament, I was thinking... Is one of the reasons why people aren't signing up for this tournament because it is too expensive? So, i'll ask you to comment on this suggestion, would you bowl in this tournament if the entry fee was less than $100? Please bear in mind that if the entry fee decreases, so will the prize fund...

So for those of you not signed up yet, please let me know if you would bowl if the entry fee decreased? For those of you already signed up, would you bowl in this no matter the entry fee or prize fund payout? Please share your opinions sometime before monday (Aug. 25) as I will make a decision on whether to continue this tournament by Monday and let you know my decision by Tuesday this week.

Again, having only 20 bowlers thus far may not be enough interest to hold the tournament, but I am flexible and willing to do whatever it takes to continue this event!

Finally, if there is only around 30 people that are bowling, we may combine the tournament to 1 squad on Sunday. I'll inform everyone of that decision later in the week.

Dr. Chris

Thanks guys for your posts...
It looks as if this tournament will be going ahead. Currently there are 35 bowlers and B squad is FULL.
See attached spreadsheet for more details.
There is still time to enter this tournament and take part in the research also. Just post your name on this forum and I'll add you to the list.
Also, for those that are taking part in the 5 FREE games on Saturday, you will have to pay a $50 deposit on Saturday to ensure that you'll be coming back for the tournament on Sunday.
Fantastic news that there are 35 signed up... hopefully we can get even more for this tournament!!!
Dr. Chris

Attachments

18.5 KB · Views: 73
Thank you again to those who have signed up for this tournament.

We have had a couple people pull out of the tournament, but still have about 33 people.

If you are not doing much this weekend and want to get 5 FREE games of bowling on Saturday and bowl in the tournament on Sunday, come to Mentone sometime on Saturday and sign up (Walk-ins are welcome).

Ok then, looking forward to catching up with everyone on the weekend.

chris

Hi Chris,

Put me down for C Squad for the research portion & A squad for tourney.
Looking forward it.

Regards,

Darren Hallifax.

Steriod,

Can Jimmy and I swap into A squad for tomorrow please? (Whilst remaining in B squad for the tournament)

Enables me to get to the MCG in time for watch North (hopefully) secure the double chance.

Cheers,
Craig

Back
Top Bottom