Really Disapointed

GUS

This will probably get me fired but I am willing to take the chance as I am so upset about it.

Rant on

Over the last couple of Days, AMF have proudly announced (via totalbowling) the arrival of the new Kegel Lane Walkers for 6 of the mainland centres and 2 ION's for 2 others. A total of approximately somewhere in the vacinity of 350 to 400 thousand dollars worth of equipment.

See these 2 posts:
http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=172082#post172082
http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=25511

Meanwhile, AMF Launceston which I have worked at for nearly 15 years and bowled in for 23 Years has Topcoat and Basecoat ripping off the lanes at a rapid rate of Knots. The Lanes are in desperate need of a Resurface (last one was in 1999 and 3 or 4 Recoats in that time) or replacement to the supposed 2nd hand Sythetic Lanes we were suppose to receive by Xmas in 2006. Some of the lanes are starting to peel in the Backends and Pindecks.

Dont get me wrong here, this is not sour grapes. I am very happy for the centres that have received these machines, it a great thing for them.

But, as a long time serving employee (and an even longer serving source of revenue for the company, ie paying customer) it is very dissapointing that my local centre which, over the years, I have spent a lot of time working, coaching, bowling, ball drilling, to try and make it a better place for the bowlers in Tasmania, is being treated with such disregard. Bowlers are telling me that they dont want to bowl in the centre anymore because of the condition of the lanes. When it gets to this point it, its almost beyond repair.

It brings back memories of AMF Moonah prior to its refit when Bennets Green was shut down. I won the State masters that year on lanes that virtually had no Coating (in the track area 5-15 board) from the Foul Line to the Pindeck. It was interesting to say the least. The centre should not have been allowed to get to that state of despair and I fear the same is going to happen to Lonny unless something happens fast.

I have been told many times since August 2006 that "The lanes are coming", but this is now nearly February 2008 and we still have nothing whilst a lot of centres have been upgraded, refurbed, built from new equipment, received new oiling machines, etc etc etc.

Every time I read "Whats the Score" there is a story on another centre which has been done up and looks fantastic, while my centre is stuck in time warp from the 80's. Old seating and ball returns, Monitor screens you can bearly read the numbers, a front counter which is covered in red & silver laminate that was put on when it was built by Olympic, a shoe mat you cant see the numbers on, and of course the lanes. Last year we received 8 lanes of flush mount bumpers so now we have 6 lanes with brown gutters and no bumpers, 8 lanes of pull up bumpers with grey gutters, and 8 lanes of pull out bumpers from on top of the cappings with brown gutters. It looks like 3 different centres in one.

The Centre Manger & Head Tech do as much as they possibly can to try and get funds to fix the place up, but are restricted by budgets and get pushed back everytime something of any significance is asked for. Its seems like the "She'll be right mate" attitude prevails. The latest I have heard is the centre is on the list to have something done with the lanes sometime this year, but a date has not been set because there other centres to do first. I am over people telling something in coming (ie Lanes by the end of 2006, Kegel Oiling machine by Fiscal year end 2007 etc). I will believe it when it arrives in the carpark on the truck.

Before someone gets on here and tries to shoot me down, I will admit (and have been told) that AMF Launceston is the lowest lineage and revenue AMF centre in the country so therefore doesnt rank very highly on the "Needs it now" list, but, AMF Launceston still makes a Net Profit each and every year. It doesn't run at loss like some of the other/bigger centres. This is because of a lot of factors which I am not going to go into, but, at the end of the day the customers who come to AMF Launceston to bowl (both league/tournament and Social) are still customers paying a whats seems to be a premium price for a product/service that we are not receiving and nobody is in a real hurry to want to fix.

I am not going to say anymore as I think my point has been made. Its just really disapointing.

Come on Roy M, Jordan R, David W, Greg R, Lloyd K, & anybody else who controls the purse strings. Please, Please, Please give AMF Launceston and the bowlers of Northern Tasmania a fair go and fix the Centre before the lanes get any worse.

Rant off

Cheers

Hayden George

Gus....

Couldn't agree with you more.

Something needs to be done to the centres down here... 1 has been done, that only leaves one other "major" centre. If bowling is to continue in this state, and if we are to be a major force, we need the centres to have "close to" the conditions of the mainland.

Surely that can't be too much to ask.

Andrew Phillips

Gus,

I applaud you for the intestinal fortitude that you have shown to come out and tell it as it is, even though it may get you into hot water.

The lanes are definately an embarrassment to the Launceston bowlers and I only hope that the AMF top brass read your post and act on it.

Last time i print good news ;-(

Maybe if something was done when promised we wouldn't be reading this from not only a disgruntled employee but also and most importantly a valued customer.

What happened to customer satisfaction?

Shareholders are obviously more important. :(

Tony Hamilton

I suppose there thinking is if people are going to bowl on crap, why outlay hundreds of thousonds of dollars to upgrade a centre.

Gus, I know the feeling.

I used to work at Mayfield when AMF owned it, I used to compare it to Dee Why which had new everything, while Mayfield still had Overlane Returns, Peeling lane finish(it had'nt been Re-Surfaced for 6 years) but still our bowlers paid as much for thier Games as Dee Why,Why?

So your in a Catch 22, your not improving linage because of the Crap conditions and they won't spend because of low linage.

BTW, the reason your lanes started peeling is because of the way they stripped the lanes prior to Re-Coating, they would have used normal lane wash but the lanes should have been re-washed with plain water, to take off the residue lane cleaner, which has emulsifiers in it to make the soap spread rapidly, this causes the coating to not stick properly.

willey

I'm not a Tassie bowler, but I have been there before. In 2006 I bowled in the TBA National Championships in AMF Moonah. On one of the days off, I decided to travel to Launceston with my friend Benjamin Adams. When we walked in the centre, we almost walked back out. The only thing that kept us was the fact we had driven from Hobart to get there. We got our 4 games for $16 and proceeded to bowl. Lanes were terrible. Very dry. I must say I bowled my best game at the time there. Anyway, I did noticed the bumpers and the differences. Looked like AMF's dumping ground for spare parts. The old AC exhausts used for bumpers! Was scary, but entertaining to look at. But in al honesty, I have been to quite a few centres, this one takes worst prize by a mile!

Thats my experience in a nutshell

About time somebody said it ;)

Took a lot of balls to post that - full respect!
Anyone who's ever played there will back you up 100% - it has been getting worse by the year for a long time and you guys have been left in limbo for that long it isn't funny.
It's been let go in the exact same way Moonah was, when it was left to fall to pieces after Mornington shut down in 1992 until the 2004 refit.
Time for someone to grab a digital camera, start snapping away and post the pics on this thread to perfectly illustrate the state of the place.

Yes the Aircon Ducting was a bonus in it's day, easier to put out and store away, you did'nt have to continually repair holes the Blow-Up's used to get.

The Idea of the Air Conditioning Ducting came from an Irish Mechanic working at Balgowlah, he said thats what they used over there in Ireland, it caught on very fast in Sydney and Newcastle, with-in weeks every Centre had stacks of those plastic tubes holding the Ducting.

willey

Mate you just keep making me feel older in this sport... There was a time when the air ducts were THE solution for bumpers, you know.

LoL, I know it was a solution, but that was in its day. This is 2008! We're long past that time. Time for an upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom