QUEENSLAND LADIES CLASSIC REVIEW

FLOWER

After a day to review the Classic, I have come to the conclusion that the format is great, the timing of squads is right, the entry fee is right, the spectators are wonderful as are the bowlers who attend. We need MORE $$$$ for prizemoney, MORE QUEENSLAND BOWLERS (where are the North Qld. Rachuig girls?), more Interstate bowlers (still had a good representation of these - so not too critical). However, next year we are picking up and delivering only from Brisbane Airport!

The bowling was wonderful, 3 - 300 games (2 by Emma Rutten) and 1 by Christene Webster (an ATBSO bowler - so you girls should be here also) - a qualifying average for the field of 44 bowlers over 16 games of 200 - a matchplay average for the field of 15 bowling 7 games of 214 and an overall Tournament ave. of 202....what more could we ask!!

Sam Warby averaged 244 for the Matchplay with Michelle Halprin having the next best average of 229 followed by Emma with 227 and Ann Maree Putney with 222 and Narelle Baker - 221.

The triple matchplay format is quite tense with 50 pins for the win and 25 for 2nd place, 0 for 3rd. Sam accrued 300 bonus pins with Michelle nex best in the bonus stakes with 262.5 - great efforts.

We even had to give out 2 Smiley awards this year - Glenda Davis and Roz Yendle - and there were many more who continued to smile through their disappointment and success.......

Each year I go through the doubts about women's bowling and threaten never to do it again - the effort required to get 44 bowlers is much more demanding than the 120 odd Twin Tour entries and after the frustration of the BEFORE to the sense of achievement of the AFTER - it is worth it!!

To see our Junior and Youth bowlers up there with the best in OZ as well as the 'tried and true' AND a few ATBSO girls creeping in, makes the weekend well worth the effort.

To the magic sponsors - THANK YOU - I am doing a 'portrait of a Sponsor' later in the week (have to organize the Twin Tour next weekend and better get a move on!)

Once again, congrats. to all concerned - the winner, the bowlers, Caboolture Bowl and the TEAM (John Whillans, Gladys and Vaughan White, Marsha Angrove and the ever faithfull PILKO)

FLOWER

Back
Top Bottom