Presidents Shield change.

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
The future roll-offs for Presidents Shield teams for both NQ and SQ will not have the 5+2 selection option.
The teams will be decided by the first 7 past the post. No selection will be involved.
This decision only applies to Junior teams. Youth and Adult teams will still be at the discretion of the relevant committees.

It's probably because sometimes when people aren't 'selected' they sometimes have a tendency to get Lawyers involved.

It's a good move. Makes you earn your spot.

I've been pushing for De Veer to be one spot for the roll offs and six selected, but no-one is listening.

The basic reason for the change is the increasing number of complaints received in the State office.
Parents want to know why their children were not selected, why other children were selected and so on. We have had parents using words like favouritism, bias and nepotism.
We have had parents telling us they are taking their children out of the sport because of this.
And Peter Martin is right too, bowlers are starting to get lawyers involved over selection issues. However when a parent tells us that they are taking their kids out of the sport thats an even bigger worry.
Any parent with a child involved in any competitive sport will be acutely aware of the selection process, and there will always be cause for doubt and suspicion when their child is subject to judgement by others.
By resorting to 7 past the post it will go a long way to ensuring fairness in the eyes of both the competitors and their parents.
Not everyone will agree with this move. However the board feels that it is in the best interests of all Junior bowlers to eliminate the present level of criticism regarding Shield selections.

the change is goin to b good for the sport especially president shield becoz like andrew is sayin that when the selectors select the final 2 that go into the team, there isnt goin to b any favouritism or bias or even singling out one person that they did really want in the team even if they didnt bowl well for the roll-offs.

personally... i think that this change is goin to b the best thing that has happen wif both north and south queensland president shield teams becoz it will give each person that goes for the team more opportunity of makin the team. i know that ill still b tryin out next year to make it til i age out of juniors. never thought there was that much pressure put onto the sport becoz a certain person didnt make it. it has opened my eyes to wat the actually state office go through after a roll-off. maybe the youth and adults should go wif the same system. make it ova the whole thing.

thats just my opinion that im sure will get response and told that im wrong, just like everythin else.

It's a good idea but lets just say for example you had someone as good as Matt Simpson Rolling Off and hes top qualifier after day one, and on day two he hurts him self and drops to say 10th place... then that is very unfair.

Just My Thoughts Jodes.

Are there any concessions in place for bowlers competing in Aust teams or injury/sickness.

I do think top 5 select 2 is the best system by far, but unfortunatly in the past few years slection commitees have not been taking the select 2 part very seriously and have been using the selection out of top 7 far too often. It will be interesting to see how this works for QLD.

Initially this will be for a trial period of 2 years. No concessions, no exemptions, no injury allowances.
If after 2 years the Juniors want to revert back to 5 + 2, a comprehensive set of selection criteria will have to be submitted to the State office for approval.
An equally stringent set of rules applying to the appointment of selectors will also have to be submitted.

I think this is a good move for the state, it cuts out the questions asked when kids dont make the team, and it gets the best bowlers in the team (well on the day anyway). If someone just misses out, but ppl think they should have been in there, then that proves that they aren't as great as what was thought, but even if they are having a bad day, who says its not goin to happen at sheild!
And jodee, if someone is unlucky enough to hurt themself before or during roll offs, then i guess they wouldnt be the greatest person to take away, even if it is a something like a blister that happens when they are bowling. If something caused them to stop bowling at sheild, thats one less option the team has.
Well thats just my thoughts, having a lot of experience in missing out on state teams :p
Hamish

With the top 7 making the president shield team... Because NQ have the championship squad aswell does this mean it's top 10 or is that still selection?:confused:

This directive only applies to the Shield team. The Championship squad selection method will still be at the discretion of the NQJC.

The Spanner said:
I've been pushing for De Veer to be one spot for the roll offs and six selected, but no-one is listening.
You will just have to get to know the selectors a little more Pete.;)

Feral

Stuart Little said:
If someone just misses out, but ppl think they should have been in there, then that proves that they aren't as great as what was thought:p
Hamish

Geez, so if George Frillingos, has a bad day and didnt make the team, does that mean he doesnt deserve to go, being the # 1 bowler in Australia, i disagree with your comment. This is just an example.

No matter which way you go there is always someone that misses out. I think with the pick 2, it gives flexability when chooseing the other two bowlers. Just who picks them???, this i dont know, but would hope that they have some knowlege of bowling, and know reputation of bowlers, not just good friends with there parents.

Hammer

www.lane1bowling.com

Either way someone misses out....

I think first 7 past the post is the best way

As far as the concept that if a really good bowler bowls bad....too bad

What happens if the best bowler in Australia doesnt make the cut in a tournament....Bad luck better lukc next time....thats what

Why should roll offs be any different

silly decision, 5+2 is the best system. yeah sure if you make top 5 you have earned your spot. but what happens if hamish or matt simpson or people like that didnt make it,because of having some problem then how in all honesty can south qld take away there best team. you need the flexabilty to choose 2other people. and at the end of the day we are going away to win shield, and we need the strongest team possible to do that.

Andrew S. said:
This decision only applies to Junior teams. Youth and Adult teams will still be at the discretion of the relevant committees.
Why is it only the juniors being victimised???
The junior committee have their own by-laws how can you over ride these????
Arn't TBAL changing the rule next year to be total selection????
Gina Gilliland

Personally, I believe the whole roll-off concept is out-dated, and does not achieve the outcome we all desire - putting together a shield team consisting of the most worthy bowlers.
I suggest that rather than a single weekend rolloff, we should consider a number of nominated events/tournaments through the year, in which points can be earned by those who wish to nominate to the shield team. There would be a fee to nominate in each event (thereby spreading the cost over the year). The issue of injury would be eliminated, as the points could be made up in subsequent events. It would also demonstrate the performance consistency of each bowler, across a number of conditions/formats/times of day that could be used in consideration if people still wanted a 5 + 2 approach. The selection criteria could be set clearly, and be measurable, removing any arguments.
If a roll-off was still desired, another approach would be to hold it over two weekends, 24 games with the top 18 games counting. This would achieve similar outcomes as above (injury, consistency, multiple centres), and 7 past the post would work.
As a coach, I favour the first (with selection) because past performance is a better indicator of potential than a single event can demonstrate. This provides the opportunity to put together the team with the most potential to perform.
Coach from Hell::eek:nfire:

Back
Top Bottom