Plugging Compound

I'm wondering what is the compound that is used to plug balls

And how is it done without getting air bubbles in it

Cant help you with the first one, but the second bit- make sure the liquid is stirred thoroughly and pour it in slowly. Worked all the time with me when I used to work at Bundy

When cracks appear from nowhere, or a little smoke trail appears, or the mix is still mush after 2 days then its time to wonder!!(and prob time to clean out the pumps in the mixing bottles too!!)

There are a few different compounds that various shops use. The major 2 are a resin/catalyst combo (usually 3 parts resin to 1 part catalyst, and a Urethane/catalyst combo (usually 1-1 ratio)

There are many tricks and tips for plugging bowling balls.

Air bubbles are the easy one. If using resin to plug, make sure all residue is out of the hole, the hole is sharp on the edge, and stir slowly. Pour the mix from a little height away from the ball to pop bubbles on the way down, and tap the ball after the pour to bring any bubbles to the top. You can also use a lighter above the mix after the pour to suck the bubbles to the top.

Urethane mix similar concept, but don't use a lighter as urethane mix is quite dangerous. Urethane vapours can actually set inside your throat and lungs because it sets so quickly.

It is also advisable to have as cool a room as possible to ensure no premature setting.

On the flip side, pitch plugs can be completed in 15 minutes even with resin compound, simply by microwaving the mix for a very short period of time (usually between 5-10 seconds depending on the microwave) I don't suggest this for plug redrills, as the plugging is much weaker when set, but if one is just looking to drill back into the hole changing pitch, this is a fantastic quick solution :D

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom