Track Phenom Unleashed

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Ball details: 15lb, 3ounces top weight, 3 inch pin

I drilled this ball with the PIN at 3 3/8 and the MB right on my VAL (down from my PAP). Balance hole was about 5 inches across and 1 inch down from my centre of grip.

This ball really surprised me. I tested it on a fresh wall pattern along with my Crunchtime. I stood on my normal spot and found the ball covered some extra boards (good sign already), didn't take me long to get lined up. I then quickley changed to the Crunchtime and found that I could stood stand in the same spot and bring the ball back?????

Now I was confused, the Unleashed grabbed the lane a bit earlier and started a controlled yet very constant movement to the pocket. The Crunchtime went long but really snapped hard on the backend to cover the same amount of boards.

I then thought I would move deeper and see what happened, WOW. This ball had been holding out on me! The deeper I moved the more the ball responded, it kept coming back! I ended up moving another 10 boards with my feet and the ball still recovered. I then swapped to the Crunchtime and washed out every shot. Now I was starting to see the difference.......... The hit was impressive, only throwing about 15 revs per shot my carry from inside is always on the questionable inside but not with Unleashed, it just drove harder and harder producing great angles to the pocket.

Whilst the surface is matt you really need some decent oil to get this ball to rev up other wise if it hits the dry early it will turn well but won't cover the same amount of boards. More oil = More hook!

I'm going to bowl this ball at another centre and see how it goes, early signs is that this will replace my Superfreak which was my inside oil ball. My ball is also half white and looks pretty good going down the lane also (very important part of the ball testing).

Overall = I'm extremely happy with this ball, I don't think I will use it that much though unless I polish it but I don't want to do that yet. A very important part of my arsenal and a definite keeper. So far 9/10 ( I have only bowled 3 games with it). Recommend it to anyone wanting to have a decent backend ball for heavy-medium oil conditions.

I think some polish wouldn't go a stray though if you threw some more hand :D

George,

I recently bought a Phenom Unleashed & I am pretty happy with it. I haven't used it to it's full potential, b/c I haven't had the Oil condition to use it.
But I did use it last night, where Moorabbin had a little more oil than usual & in the 3rd game, I strung 7 strikes in a row. When the ball hit the pocket & it did with all 7 strikes, it hit hard & I was impressed with that.

But I was standing 14 board & throwing down 5 board & it came up nicely.

But my normal shot is standing 20, throwing threw 15 out to about 10, but I cant seem to make it come up with the unleashed. Should it be able to or is it the way its been drilled? or not enough oil there?

Thanks for your help.

Tweety

Good to hear about the 7 in a row, only 5 more to go :D

I suspect if you were able to swing the ball from 14 out to 5 with good recovery the drilling is not the problem. The thing I have really noticed about the Phenom (box condition) is that it really needs a decent amount of oil to react. If you bowl at a centre where the concentration or length of the oil is a little lacking, the Unleashed will have a tendancy to grip the lane earlier and be very mild on the backend.

My suggestion is that in Australia the chances of running into a heavy pattern are about 50 to 1, so I think you should do what Jarrod and I both did and polish it! You'll never get it like glass but you will get some gloss on it. You'll find the Unleashed will go further down the land and will turn later and harder to what it is doing now.

I think you'll be pleasently surprised, good luck with everything and let me know what you decide and how it works out,

G

Back
Top Bottom