Noarlunga, 13/11/05

Hi

What was the fuss about down there today? Restarting a competition due to shoddy workmanship in oiling the lanes or something like that. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Yea I heard something along those lines also, 2 games into the Doubles they had to restart because 2 pairs of lanes had different or no oil on them? made for a very late finish.

Wish we could have done that back in 98, we didnt find out that we were bowling on the night befores leftovers at Village until after the block had finished, Salisbury had offered the lanewalker to fill in for villages temporarily out of action gemini but were knocked back(so the story went) Good to see past mistakes have been learnt from.

Oiling machine ran out of oil on 5/6, techs didn't notice until they were on 9/10... didn't bother going back over. Second game of the doubles, two certain people just stopped bowling after 3 frames because the lanes had no oil at all. There's a bunch of other noise about it, but basically we got stuck sitting around for ages while the managers had a meeting, then their decision was ignored anyway. Ended up restarting the doubles :eek:

Oh, and congratulations on the awesome organising. Lee got stuck weighing balls for a few _hours_ on the Saturday morning, then his "15 minute break" ended up being maybe 5 before the warmup was started. And the doubles/oil fiasco. And delays ALL DAY with breakdowns and a horrible lack of marshals. And not putting tournament oil on a breakdown pair, so our game was shot to hell when we were moved from 5-6 to 19-20. Oh, and it was really great to get there at 9am and finish up at 9:30pm or so. Bad luck to Crossroads and whoever else had dinner reservations for 7:30-8.

Was just one of them things in life.

Nothing can be done to change what has happened.. It was a bit of a mess up between officials, and people not being informed about stuff that was going on.

Oh well, was a good weekend anyway. Tiring, but good.

Benny

It was certainly a good weekend, saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in 6+ years, bowled a bit, had BBQ-cooked-by-the-light-of-a-mobile-phone... but it was so very, very long. At least I set a new Lumines high score (348976!) :)

Freddie said:
It was certainly a good weekend, saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in 6+ years, bowled a bit, had BBQ-cooked-by-the-light-of-a-mobile-phone... but it was so very, very long. At least I set a new Lumines high score (348976!) :)

haha pro :D something positive I guess!

9.30 at night, geezus we were BLIND!!!!! by then back in the day!!! 1996 to1999 u/25 ruled!! ahhh, Dead Crabs, Rocket fuel, Creating havoc with big water pistols, living on VB Pocorn and Pizza for a whole weekend, i'll stop there, might get in trouble leading you young ones astray....

I don't like to make comment on a situation I know nothing about. But why on earth did the oiling machine run out of oil so short through the run? You're saying it only got 4 lanes done before the conditioner tanks were empty? The tanks are supposed to be refilled with cleaning solution and conditioner (oil) after every use. What went wrong, and why wasn't that done prior to conditioning the lanes for the tournament? Seems pretty suspect. Oh well at least you got a taste of what bowling is like in the sunny state of Queensland :D

Oh, for some bonus joy. In the doubles, Renee Porter and, um, Kelly Foreman were called up as the bronze winners, given their medals, posed for photographs...... then Jan goes "oh, I can't count to 3, these girls actually came 4th". That's pretty harsh :(

She was looking at points allocated and didn't realise there was actually 4 point winners heh.

The oil machine wasn't out of oil because it laid the right pattern down on lanes 12->20. For some reason 5->12 was bone.. Why? Prob's had the machine kicked up on an angle moving the oil to one side of the machine or something.

I saw the lane tech guys putting some sort of fluid in the machine around lane 10 (lunch was quick, had nothing to do), not sure if that was oil or cleaner though. Seems a bit strange that they would notice something was wrong, but not go back and check the other lanes.

Once the oiling machine in on the lanes to wash and oil it doen't need to filled up with oil again until it's finished taken down the back and cleaned then refilled with oil and lane wash. Half way thru the cycle he would have had to empty the wash fuild down the drain outside.
As far as missing lanes or a pair of lanes would have been a human error.
A. he was probably told only to oil certain lanes. (which I find it had to imagine because normally all lanes are washed and oiled.)
B. he just forgot where he was at.
C. Mechanical problem (which I think more likely).

When we had a ATBA tournament down at murray bridge many moons ago the mechanic missed one lane by memory, and we had to stop and reoil, simple decision which I am sure tba wouldn't have wasted any time and did this!!!

A bit harsh on giving out trophy's and photo's to people who finished 4th...............Mmmm. Some people should take a little more care!!!

cheers
tony

Overall the weekend comes down to one word... Tiring!!!!

You could say that it was the oiling machine's fault or you could say the techs should have a fair idea how the machinery works by now.. however it was really the 'ladies' in the Norwood shirts bowling on those lanes that actually caused all the problems, because they were the ones who refused to bowl!

Other teams before them bowled on the lanes and put up with the conditions and so would have everyone else. Everyone would have had to bowl on the lanes anyway so there wouldn't have been any unfairness!

Due to that we were forced to wait hours for the re-oiling... Just bowl your one game and move on!!!!!

Tinkerbell said:
Overall the weekend comes down to one word... Tiring!!!!
You could say that it was the oiling machine's fault or you could say the techs should have a fair idea how the machinery works by now.. however it was really the 'ladies' in the Norwood shirts bowling on those lanes that actually caused all the problems, because they were the ones who refused to bowl!
Other teams before them bowled on the lanes and put up with the conditions and so would have everyone else. Everyone would have had to bowl on the lanes anyway so there wouldn't have been any unfairness!
Due to that we were forced to wait hours for the re-oiling... Just bowl your one game and move on!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

How about u get Ur facts RIGHT b4 U say anything... Norwood b4 going to Jan, ASKED Cross Road and Salisbury FRIST... I was marshalling at the time.. and i couldnt believe my EYEs... Brad tanner moving the ball ALOT.. Darren USING HIS SPARE BALL,.. moving it a sh*t load...

if the techs found the problem... they should have gone checked the other lanes B4 oiling the rest...

AND how about PUTTING ur names on UR POST PEOPLE...

What happened this week is IN THE PAST.... GET THE HELL OVER IT...

LISTEN TO WHAT SPENCE SAID PEOPLE.....

Ashley warren

Not everyone would have had to bowl on that pair, actually :) I started on 19, went 19-17-15-13-11-9, so no dry for me (not that I would have minded). Even with the horrible delays, I'll certainly try out again next year if I'm still around. I just hope it's somewhere a bit closer to home :)

yeah, good job on the post tinkerbell
i happened to be one of those norwood 'ladies' bowling on that pair 2nd game in, and couldn't believe my eyes when i saw nathan deleeuw moving the ball 25 boards in the previous game (no offense to u at all nathan).
i don't have a huge shot, and i would have been grateful for at least 5 boards movement after oil (about 99% of that was due to me bowling bad though), but when i couldn't throw out past 20 board starting at 40, realised something was definitely wrong.
The fact of the matter is this: the lane patterns were not even across the board, so we had every right to stop. freddie was quite right when saying he was never going to get to 5/6 when starting on 19, so as far as everyone throwing on that pair goes, not everyone was going to. i could have dared anyone to take a shot on that crap. the tech knew he stuffed up and the managers were told two games in......WHY? a shot like giff's and patterson's wouldn't have stood a chance. and you're absolutely right Chin, George WOULD have murdered the joint.
Three teams were consulted before taking the matter any further, like Ash said, and 'good on em' to those managers to have the balls to do somethin about it. I really do feel sorry for guys like Shane Tunnah (pair of 230's....u shot the house down after that shyte start in the doubles, good job man!) and Nick Vale and Robbie Lescai (460 odd between them in the 1st game) and others i may have missed, and I can understand the action Bobba took out of frustration, but the fact of the matter is, like i said before, the lane patterns were not the same across the board. Besides, why are we taking it out on the tournament dirtbag (in a lot of people's opinions) Norwood? From my recollection, it was the Tech that made the error, even if the oil tray only did jump from its holder. I was proud to bowl for the centre and had fun doing it, and isn't that the point?
All that having been said, the very essence of the tournament was highlighted in Spence's speech, what a great bloke and no better bloke to receive the Sportsman's award (congrats to Danielle too). It's a great tournament and a young bowler like me (in the amount of years i've been bowling) can pick up so much experience in such a tournament. So we had a few hiccups along the way, that's life. but the atmosphere was great, the scoring was high, and i was glad to be a part of it all.
Finally, i'd like to say 4 things.....1) if you don't have the balls to put your name next to your post, keep your trap shut, (tinkerbell, you're as much a fairy as your name suggests) 2) get your facts straight before posting, 3) good luck to everyone at the masters next week, and 4) Good luck and farewell to all the bowlers who won't be joining us next year, we'll miss you guys :D
Michael

And bad luck to Tim for going all in on a pair of Jacks, only to have the guy next to him get 9-10-J to complete his straight. That had to suck :p

Freddie said:
And bad luck to Tim for going all in on a pair of Jacks, only to have the guy next to him get 9-10-J to complete his straight. That had to suck :p

lol. its fairly common for tim to hit pockets and not win, just like bowling :p he did take home a silver though, a silver more than i did. good job big lil bro

Back
Top Bottom