new lonny lanes

garryarnol

Tasmania 2009 Holt champs
OK ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS THAT BOWL AT LONNY PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW THE SCORING IS ON YOUR NEW LANES.

SCORING SHOULD BE GOOD NOW THAT THE LANES YOU ARE BOWLING ON ARE SYNTHETIC. :)

Just because there is new lanes installed doesnt automatically mean the scoring becomes better. :confused: I am also dont understand why people automatically assume that because Lonny was getting New Lanes, the scoring all of a sudden would be so much higher. The lane play has just become more consistent lane to lane.

The scoring is dictated by the Lane Pattern and we are using a very similar pattern to the one we were using on the wood. The result we are trying to achieve (and have done so previously) is to represent a bowlers "True" average and not an inflated one. You can play anywhere from straight down 5-10 board to swinging through 25-30 board on the lane but you need to be able to throw the ball the same to score well. If you cant repeat the shot, then you wont score. It plays very very similar to the pattern that was at Tuggeranong for the Adult Natioanls, there is just less Volume of Oil through the centre of the Lane.

We have decreased the length and the volume of oil marginally from what we were using before, as the HPL's are not as aggressive as the wood. We are now also washing/oiling everyday to protect the surface (so the panels dont get scratched) which has also made the scoring more consistent day to day.

Other centres can have their "walled-up" shots, "adult bumper bowling off the gutter" shots and "miss by 10 boards and get a strike" shots if they want (and good for them if thats what their bowlers want), but we choose not too. (It is no secret why I won 3 out of 4 Local events last year by 100 or more pins, and averaged 215 at the Nationals for 34 Games which included 2 1st's and a 2nd in the Open Division.........Well, no secret to me anyways).

It is good to have Variety between all 3 of our Centres. If they played all the same, then it would be just Boring. If people cant/dont bowl well at Lonny then they need to ask themselves why, and how can I bowl better there, instead of saying the place is just crap and I should be bowling 200+ every game, and every AMF centre should have the same Lane Condition (Some comments I heard after Teams Challenge from the last couple of years).

Since the Lane Installation there have been several games above 250 from a variety of bowlers, but we had that before, so nothing has really changed in that department.

For myself personally, I am struggling with Carry. It has changed a bit and seems to be a bit more difficult to carry. I am hitting the pocket 95% of the time but seem to be leaving a lot of corners and Solid 9 pins. I just dont seem to have the Ball/Surface matched to the lane just yet but I will work on it. Not too concerned at the moment anyways seeing there is no tournies and only 4 weeks left to the xmas break. I am still averaging the card for the last 4 weeks while I am trying to figure them out, so I am not worried.

On the other hand, the Wiseman has been scoring quite well. I think for the last 4 weeks he has had one 260+ game each week and is around a 220 average. He had 918/4 last night. He has said to me he is finding them more consistent with less moving around on the approach during the game. He also has won the $100 Jackpot 2 weeks in a row too.

So, to answer the Question in regards to the scoring. Nothing much has changed. The scoring pace is the same and carrying the back row is a little bit more tricky. The lanes are more consistent Lane to Lane, Game to Game. If you bowl a bad shot you will get a bad result.

Nothing wrong with that. It teaches you to be consistent and throw the ball well/the same.

Its also really good that we have overhead monitors that you can see and dont have to squint to read them too.

Gus... when are you going to run a tournament up there?

As a THB, I wanna see how I fare on a real pattern. I'm not liking my 221 average for 112 games here. Should be higher. I can't hit the same spot twice.... But hey, who needs to?

I actually enjoyed the State Team Challenge... actually made me think. I was happy with averaging 215. Wasn't bad for me.

Definitely looking forward to having a go in these lanes tomorrow by what you've described there Gus.

Droo, Looking at doing a Doubles Skins in the new year, maybe mid to late January.

Boof, Looking forward to some feedback

Gus .. just with that first reply of yours ..... do you think you could go over it again for me, with a little more detail this time! :p:D:p:D

Gus .. just with that first reply of yours ..... do you think you could go over it again for me, with a little more detail this time! :p:D:p:D

LOL Why Did I miss something?

I believe in saying things only once....................................

I believe you covered everything, including the answers to the global financial crisis, the longterm weather forecast and varios other topical issues!!!!! Comprehensive! LOL :D:p:D:pu

I'll break down the practice session I had there on Sunday

Throw it bad = Bad Result
Throw it good = Good result
Perfect lanes to practice on and can really help one sort out one's game.

Lonnie's new lanes and condition in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom