NATIONAL TOURNAMENT BENCH MARK

steve jones

I guess I could find out the answers to the following questions by plowing through the National Tournament Entry Form section on this web site - but frankly I'm not that clever - and no doubt someone out there will be able to help.

Just out of interest it would be interesting for me to know as follows. Which annual tournament in Australia offer.....

1. The Highest Total payout - and I don't mean a prize fund that includes all the pencils, and free water - just total cash payout...and what is it?

2. What tournament offers the highest first prize - and what is it?

3. What is the highest entry fee of any annual tournament and how much is it?

4. Finally - now this is the tough one because it is not about objectivity as the first three are - it's rather more subjective...which tournamnet offers the best overall value - and why [that's two questions I know - but well, it will be interesting]?

Thx in advance for your input,

Steve Jones

Hi Andy - you and I know well enough that one should never ask a question you don't already know the answer to - well at least not when you are under the gun. You would also know that there is rarely a question asked - just for the sake of it.

Glad you're still involved, keep well,

Steve

Andy,
Where the hell have you been.I think the last time I saw you,we were on a plane going to the US.What a trip.Nice to here your still around.Jones,what sort of questions are those. Planning to put a tournament on.(The Switch Open)!!!!!maybe!
Cheers Lovey

But Lovell the Switch Open is ALREADY on and it's May 15-17 in Innisfail..where have you been son..and more importantly where the heck is your entry? I'm NOT paying for this one champ - oh - good luck this weekend in Canberra by the way - please cash - and big!!

...."good luck this weekend in Canberra by the way - please cash - and big!!" I thought Lovell was retired, is this a comeback?

Hey Paul,
I got my entry paid for and I even had a practice.I wish the tournament was over 6 games not 16.
Cheers Lovey

Let me just say that questions 1-3 I have obtained from private emails sent to me - thank you to those that did so. However Question 4 is still something I would think is worth obtaining input from tournament bowlers - it would be helpful to get some input.

Thanks in advance for some feed-back,

Steve

Steve

Here are the answers to your questions

1. The Highest Total payout

Would have to be Brunswick Australian Cup in Canberra every December, $6000 1st place paying down very well. Total prizefund would be the biggest we have in Australia I believe.

As above, $6000 for first, however if you include the South Pacific Classic winners trip to the relevant country to bowl the World Cup it may represent more in dollars.

Brunswick Australian Cup - $300

4. Finally - now this is the tough one because it is not about objectivity as the first three are - it's rather more subjective...which tournamnet offers the best overall value - and why [that's two questions I know - but well, it will be interesting]?

Arguably the K&K Classic in Brisbane is best value, with only $2000 on top it pays down to more places than any other tournament. Entry is low also, $175 for men, $165 for women. It is very well supported and well run subsquently, over 120 people usually participate in this event. They also have a dedicated womens division which is popular.

I do think though this year's Australian Open will represent the future of tournament bowling in Australia, $120-$180 initial entry to win $4000 for 1st is amazing value (It's a re-entry event). I'm a big fan of this format, its a proven success in all other parts of the world, its finally making some in roads in Australia.

I think combining the women and giving them 8 pins start inline with similar formats in Asia and Europe is the only way women will be able to make good money from bowling and we as bowlers collectively are able to bowl for money.

Hope this helps

Steve

Here are the answers to your questions

1. The Highest Total payout

Would have to be Brunswick Australian Cup in Canberra every December, $6000 1st place paying down very well. Total prizefund would be the biggest we have in Australia I believe.

As above, $6000 for first, however if you include the South Pacific Classic winners trip to the relevant country to bowl the World Cup it may represent more in dollars.

Brunswick Australian Cup - $300

Arguably the K&K Classic in Brisbane is best value, with only $2000 on top it pays down to more places than any other tournament. Entry is low also, $175 for men, $165 for women. It is very well supported and well run subsquently, over 120 people usually participate in this event. They also have a dedicated womens division which is popular.

I do think though this year's Australian Open will represent the future of tournament bowling in Australia, $120-$180 initial entry to win $4000 for 1st is amazing value (It's a re-entry event). I'm a big fan of this format, its a proven success in all other parts of the world, its finally making some in roads in Australia.

I think combining the women and giving them 8 pins start inline with similar formats in Asia and Europe is the only way women will be able to make good money from bowling and we as bowlers collectively are able to bowl for money.

Hope this helps

Gday Steve,

Was good to catch up with you on the weekend.

The first 3 points I would agree with George (first time for everything I guess lol) but probably add something for the 4th and something as you have alluded to previously that you would already know.

Bowlers have often stated for them to have value bowling, they want more games, as value for money etc, to feel as though they have had a fair run regardless of their scores etc. We in Australia really need to get away from the 1000 game marathons, and as George has said, there may be more and more re entry style tournaments popping up in the horizon as a way to do so. However if you were to look for value for money tournaments for return on investment these would currently be tournaments like KnK, low entry but due to numbers involved are able to pay decent money and not just to the top, re entry tournament at Coffs Harbour, even lower entry fee and still paying $2000 for first.

When I look at value in a tournament, however, I dont just look what it will cost me, what the prize fund is worth etc, I look at how well I am as a bowler am going to be treated when I walk into the centre, how well the staff at the bowl in general are, how much effort the tournament organiser goes to making you feel welcome. Tournaments like the KnK, the old Melbourne Cup when I first started going there, tournaments in the north of QLD, Orange Open and most recently in Joondalup. They actually want you the bowler there, the are truly interested in bowling, the staff are knowledgable as they are more often than not bowlers themselves.

These tournaments and the people that are involved are just as interested in the bowlers having a good time as well as bowling well. These little things are subtle but important to have the high retention in entries year after year that they get.

Its not impersonal where you walk in, pay your entry fee, heres your lane draw, go bowl, when you are finished, bugger off as social play is waiting.

Honestly there aren't a huge amount of tournaments anymore, and most centres that host the major tournaments would be lucky to have any more tournaments during the year, to have the organisers and staff put in an effort for the bowlers once a year shouldn't really be a hard ask instead of feeling like it is some burden they have to endure.

And in case someone interprets what I am saying as the bowlers should have their whims catered to, I am not saying this, just that it is nice to feel welcome.

Hope this helps.

Nicely put Michael - and thx for the insights - it all helps - appreciate the effort. Nice work at Joondalup by the way.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom