Moving across the lane

S

swonky

To adult and juniour bowlers alike.

Over the last 6 months i have been to a few juniour and adult tournament to watch and bowl in. I have noticed something.

After the delivery has left the hand people tend cross into another lane to 'help' the ball strike

I dont have a problem with this and yet in league sessions and tournament i have bowled in i have been told off for 'crossing into another lane' and yet i still see people doing it, i'am sorry to say more adults then juniours.

I want to clear up why people
A) Cross the line, and
B) Can get away with such a thing

I know the adult lane curtiousy is 2 lanes and the juniours 1 lane, but cant we get some regularity and lane curtiousy with both junior and adult bowling.

I also know that this post may have back lash, but i felt strongly about it because i personally have been warned not to do it

James Sitters (juniour bowler)

hey buddy,
ill tell u why u cant do it.....its wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
which is why i do it as often as i can!

depending who u are playing it can be used to "put them off"... or u may hit someone who is going to bowl and cause serious injury to ur self and the other bowler!!!!! which is a couple of reasons not to do it

Sometimes tho its natural for me to "ride" the lane next door, especailly if i need the spar or strike!!!... thats why i sometimes do it...the other reason i do it is cause as i said above...its a rule i can break!!!! Plus i can really piss the old ladies who bowl league against me.... which to me brings the fun back into the game at my home centre!!!!! hahaha.....im a lil prick for doing it but its fun.....
BUT thats only in leauge...tornies i tend to try and not do it for the sake of other bowlers...these guys are there to bowl..not be pissed off by a lil dick like me!!!!

My advice if u have been told to stop...try and stop for the sake of other bowlers....who have been complain to u!!!
And dont worry about the other bad boys and girls who do it and get away with it......it will only upset u more..

one last thing champ if ur next to me in a tornie i wont mind if u ride on to my lane!!!!!

if its fun it cant be that BAD!!!!

Peace

some good points have been made here guys...
but !!!
i think there is some sort of ruling regarding giving away to bowlers on the next lane....ie: a bowler is to wait until the other bowler is off the approach or finished his bowl.......something like that,
anyway i,m sure some genius out there will be able to fill us in on the EXACT ruling........
In the real world, we dont want to take away the riding or sliding of shots from this game, we need to make it as exciting as possible for the spectators.......
who really wants to see some stiff on the lanes showing no emotion......
so long as it doesnt effect adjacent bowlers....KEEP THE SLIDES GOING GUYS
icon_wink.gif

Trevor

Agreed that the spectators need entertainment but heck, you can still be entertaining on your own lane, i know i'm fighting a losing battle, but i'm just putting some life into this forum

And Belmo, I agree its fun and i like doing it sometimes to, i'll see you at Sydney Cup, you can ride my lane also just dont trip.

hi guys, i think at some stage everyone rides a ball into the pocket and i dont have a problem with it , as trevor said it makes it exicting to watch, but i do have a problem with the lack of respect shown by belmo who said <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote
plus i can really piss off the old ladies that bowl league against me.... which to me brings the fun back into the game in my home centre
well belmo u might be one of the young up and comers in the game but with your lack of respect shown to other bowlers on the lanes you are going to make alot of emenies .what makes you think you are more important than the older ladies you bowl with , don't you think that they are entitled to enjoy there league night in there home centre with out some young brash kid showing them no respect!!

riding the ball isn't a problem when it is done the right way but if you are doing it just to piss off old ladies you should hang your head in shame, bowling is a sport for everyone not just the young and dumb!!!!

bfcc!!!
look out big guy...... unfortnatly you dont bowl in my centre and therefor u dont know the "old ladies" i do it too... u see they think i cheat at bowling for bowling 2 hands, they think te lanes are set for me alone, and no matter how nice i am to them they still show no respect to me!!!
Call me a young and dumb if u will...cause its only sticks and stones that break my bones..... when they starty showing me respect so will i.....i have been a kind nice little boy for years but know im tired of them...i cant phically hit them to shut them up...or yell abuse so i "ride" their lanes!

BFCC says-
"don't you think that they are entitled to enjoy there league night in there home centre with out some young brash kid showing them no respect!!"
the day they smile when they bowl and the day they say u bowled well cause u worked out the lanes, not that they are set for me!...The day thy say my style isnt a cheating style and continually drag my name down..... that day BFCC i will stop "riding their LANE".... and show them the respect u talk so highly that they deserve!!!!!!!!!!!

peace out

Well without taking sides I'll say there is a time and a place for riding shots (probably more often than not). I think in tournaments it is ok as long as you don't go further than 1 lane on. Usually your giving way 2 lanes anyway so it shouldn't affect bowlers. Riding lanes further than 2 is ridiculous and dangerous which could injure yourself and another bowler.

As for league, there is not that much to get excited for. I bowl league, have a good time, see some friends and throw some balls down the lane. I can't remember last time I rode a shot in league, I don't think is it necessary.

Riding is good, it livens up the game we love so much and adds a little excitment to it. You can ask the " OLDER " generation how popular riding and yelling was in their day. We've got nothing on some the antics they got up to, especially in matchplay or a step ladder.

In summary, there is a time and place for everything, there is no different why "RIDING" riding shouldn't be included.

I believe it is a courtesy and not a rule that you give way one lane but this only lasts until that bowler has started his approach(taken his first step)then you may step onto the approach.

In tournaments you get a feel of how many lanes are needed for each bowlers concentration but it becomes a joke when some people will step off the lanes when you step up and you're 5 lanes away.

The best is when these show ponies who ride the lanes all the time only knock down 9 pins and miss the spare, boy do I laugh.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

well belmo what u don't seem to understand is that as an australian rep and one of the best bowlers in the country you are on display for everyone to see and the way you act on and off the lanes is watched by everyone.
now you are right i don't now the old ladies you are talking about but why get onto a internet forum and tell everyone that you only ride the ball to piss them off!!! that is just dumb!

now i know you are young so i will give you some advice- be nice to the everyone on your way up becuase you will pass them on your way down.if you want to look at a sportsman with class follow pat rafter, and you might go far.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote
Call me a young and dumb if u will...cause its only sticks and stones that break my bones...when they starty showing me respect so will i...
Well Belmo here is another bit of advice you obviously have never been told,RESPECTis earnt not given.By the sound of it if some little old ladies you bowl league with can put you off with just words,maybe they should bring tissues along to league for you in case they make you cry as well.
Just remember this site is accessable by the entire WORLD and as an AUSTRALIAN REPRESENTITIVEeverything you do is now under greater scrutiny than it was before.
Treat the game and the people who only bowl for the social aspect with respect and humility and that is how you will be treated.
Till next time
Tryhard

OK I'll put my neck out.

I think you are allowed to stray 1 lane either way and not break the rules.

Either way I think there is nothing wrong with riding a shot - it shows the player is really wanting it and not just bowling for the hell of it.

I think its great!!!!!
icon_razz.gif

Well heres some advice from an old dog who's been around too long. Firstly I dont know too many of our leading players who would dare ride anything in league. I dont know its just not done over here. But tournaments well thats a different story. You see I have bowled with the likes of Scoops and Wimbridge for years and basically anything goes. Man the things I have seen these two do. Mind you they get as good as they give. It certainly does add the excitement element to the game. But there is a time and a place for it thats for sure. But please "Belmo" upsetting little old ladies!!!!. Man you would only have to ride something over here and pull the chain on a "hello boys" and I tell you sport you would never ride anything again. Not even a bus!!!!
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
Baron

PS Hey tryhard long time no see How about a game of cards sometime??

Baron the trivia king.
How are you buddy?glad to see that some of you w.a. lads are getting back onto the general forum again,hasn't been as funny without you all.
Name the time and i will gladly take yours and the dealers money lol
icon_biggrin.gif
Will have to try and catch you in the chat room.
Till next time
Tryhard

What a fool. I don't know this guy but is he really an Australian rep??? After a post like that he does not deserve squat and would not be on any team i choose! Rep actually means REPRESENTITIVE. Is this immature person what we want REPRESENTING our COUNTRY....ie representing Austrailan bowlers, the very ones he is trying to piss off?

Son I think you need to grow up a little before you can say you are representing me. As Gerry said, respect is earned not given, and now you have a very steep climb ahead of you to earn any respect from me.

our country, You should be ashamed of yourself, I wonder what your grandmother would think if she saw that you have no respect for little old ladies
icon_mad.gif

I cannot agree more with a comment made earlier, RESPECT IS EARNT NOT GIVEN I remember my first Sth Pacific I was a little disappointed in finishing 9th after the week before finishing 5th in the NSW Open, a well respected player by the name of Rob Zikman came over to me and said Boy You have to Pay your Dues
And I think Belmo from what i have heard you have achieved alot in this great sport of ours and have alot more to come, however please, PLEASE do not get to big for your boots, theres always someone bigger and better just around the corner.

My advice would be to take the flack from the ladies as a silent compliment, what you are achieving is something different and most people on this planet do not like or cannot accept things out of the ordinary. I'm sure 20 years ago a 60 yr old man playing golf would have told the rookie using a graphite head that he was cheating.
The “Tall Poppy Syndrome” will unfortunately be around sport and in life in general forever and you shouldn’t take it to heart. There will be a lot worse said about you if you are to continue this path of attitude, especially at little old ladies who play once a week in league.

And as for the original topic RIDING THE LANES,
Well who the hell has Energy to ride shots during league I mean takes me all my time to turn up to league and I reckon if you ever bowled Wednesday Nights at Rosemount we would all love to watch you riding the shot to watch you leave a HELLO BOYS or FLAT SACKS.

Yes if you cross over more than one lane I would agree you are out of order,
But there is no official rule its called Common Sense, which my Junior is not very common.

So finally get a grip on what you have actually said and done and then ask your grandmother or mother and see if they agree with your actions. I don’t think anyone in this country who has ever represented or aspired to would appreciate some snotty nose rookie scaring little old ladies.

Awaiting your response

Hey Gerald I'll be in that game aswell name the time boys!!
icon_eek.gif

It would be a dull old world,if sport was played by highly skilled zombies----Try not to get too worked up by BELMO. Lot's of silly spoiled children grow up o.k. eventually. He might also.

BELMO,
Well,well what a stupid comment.I wish I was one of those little old ladies so that as you were trying to piss me off, I would give you the 'SPLASH'.
Now I have nothing against riding a shot,I have gone many a lane at times(but all in good fun).If u are hurt by little old ladies having a go at u, then maybe u should play lawn bowls instead.
For somebody who is supposed to be very good at this sport,u don't show very much sportsmanship.And by the way BELMO, now that everyone knows how to piss u off,well good luck in your next tournament!!!!!!!

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

In regard to comments made by Belmo
it is hard for young juniors to find their place in bowling, they believe that they sould deserve the respect of follow bowlers but they fail to look at the reasons why they dont always gain this respect. i have a 16 year old who bowls, he represented sa in president sheild and went to brisbane for the development camp. he is respected by his fellow juniors but the respect does not always flow through to adults as he has some very undisciplined habits. he does ride strikes but within reason, he slaps his hands when he gets a strike and carries on like an idiot when he is bowling bad. this is something he has to learn to deal with as do all young bowlers and we have to recognise that they may not get it right everytime but can hope that they learn from the experience.

People!!!!!!!!!!!!

this topic was meant to clear up the 'issues' on 'riding' the lane not a mud slinging match between the world and jason belmonte. He has accomplished a heck of a lot of things, i'd like to see how good everyone could be (myself included) bowling two hands, but that will never happen.

Yes we (juniour bowlers) carry on and laugh and clap etc. but its all in good fine, jason deserves some respect from his adult counterparts, and i personally think he isn't getting it.

But also jason, respect is a two way street as you would know, and as i think you said, you will start showing respect once its shown to you, which is a fair comment, but try and make the first step.

Now ALL of you get back to the ORIGINAL post about "riding" the lanes and please stop the mud slinging, if you want to settle an arguement do it on the lanes, by BOWLING!

good moorning everyone!!!!!

well i think u guys have blown this a lil out of the water, which is a lil funny...... sounds like i have committed murder in the first!!!! hahaha...
sounds like cause i ride lanes on a monday for 2 old ladies i should never bowl for my country again!
to those who dont know me as a person and have posted reponces "that have hurt my feelings" i feel sorry for u.......if u have to degrade someone without knowning them then if u ask me its u who is immature!!!.....
And those who do know me and have written responces know what kind of person i am and konw the respect i give to other bowlers...

So to those who think riding lanes for 2 ladies who are aged 45 and 52 shows NO RESPECT FOR BOWLERS AROUND THE COUNTRY i apologise.... And if u guys ever do get a chance come to a major and see me bowl...then i know u will change ur mind about "this fool" haha who is representing ur country... u will see a jnr who competes with the best and gives the best the respect THEY EARNT!!!!!!

PEACE OUT

i would also like to thank James. S. i think u guys all knw why!!!

Back
Top Bottom