Moonah's Lanes to be resurfaced.

Tiger

For all the criticism the Moonah Bowl has received in recent years, finally a good news story.
The lanes are to be resurfaced from Lane 1 through to 24 starting on February 16th.
It is believed that 8 lanes will be done each day.
This follows up from the urgent patch up job that was put in place late last year after the laquer had been peeling up on lanes 9 through to 24.

Will the near record number of summer games this year, it has been a bright start to the year for the Ol' Graveyard, the lanes should look good when completed.

Knowing the guys who are doing the job and having spoken to them about the Moonah job, as far as I know the lanes are being re surfaced, which will take 4 days for each 8 lanes. If they are just re-coating the lanes then 24 lanes would be done overnight.

Cheers
D

in myhonest opinion I think it's great that the lanes are going to be resurfaced, but given the past history of the lanes in moonah, the water based laquer doesn't seem to last too long for some reason, now myself I don't know why this is but I think that they should maybe spend a lil more money and put down a urethane coating, that would be much more durable and still keep the consistancy that everyone is complaining about. It's just an opinion, don't go burko at me for having one.

I beelive the last time a waterbased coat was used at Moonah was 1985, but don't quote me on that. That was when we finally got away from the old nitrous based laquer finishes. Since then, 100% solids have been used.

Last time the lanes were fully resurfaced at Moonah was in 1999, and we did the whole place in less than a week. Things will not be rushed this time, and hopefully will prolong the life of the wood, and topcoat for a few more years.

Yes it would be nice to have synthetics installed, but at the present time, that's just a dream... a very good one, but a dream none the less.

With the oil pattern in use at the moment (re: HIGH scoring), it should be interesting how the scores will be when we get a decent surface to bowl on. It took all but 1 week after the last resurface to get a 300 game. Would be nice to get a few more honour scores down here.

my appologies then gus, I thought that they were still using the waterbased coatings, pardon my ignorance.
many appologies once again

Jase

You are not ignorant, just misinformed. LOL

Androoooo

You are the man to get that\those honor scores seeing that the oil pattern in a ratio of about 60:1 HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

We just have a poor old 2:1 here at lonny, but it is good to bowl on just the same. Can't throw any error shots tho. LOL

Gus

GUS said:
Jase

Androoooo

You are the man to get that\those honor scores seeing that the oil pattern in a ratio of about 60:1 HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

Gus

Sorry Gus, YOU were mis-informed... the ratio is 65:1 ;)

Yeah looking at the official signing on the pin deck of Lane 7 this morning, the last completed resurface was 11/12/1999.

The 1985 job was water based lacquer, and I can't recall another resurface done until 1995, I remember bowling Sponsors League and needing a friggin' snow plough to cut through all the dust on the approaches (like bowling in a sawmillers yard) so I guess they would have been using the more modern stuff in '95 and the subsequent recoats/resandings since - I've lost count of how many.

Just on the scoring issue, Wednesday nights are easy (especially Lanes 1-10) hell I even cracked a near 750 the other night on it, but they are a totally different pattern on other nights - I was told they use a different pattern every day.
That would be why there have only been two 700's shot this year, both in Sponsors, both between 1 & 10.
The new pins are proving very stubborn, especially on Thursday nights - not that there is anything wrong with that btw :D makes you work harder for your scores.

Also, the ball returns and seating will be repainted and the carpets are being properly steam cleaned for the first time in many years.
The creche/meeting room will have the lockers removed and the open wall in the creche will be sealed and glazed as well.
Should look good when completed :)

Yeah great news. Let me know when they strike gold. The lanes have been resurfaced so many times that the current depth is now lower than the titanic.
Just remember to call me so i can add my signature to the lanes like they have now.
The lanes need to be changed to synthetic if you guys want to avoid all the lane problems. but i dont see that happening in the near future.
Good luck and low scoring... bwahahahaha

Shuddup Androo, just because I was out averaging you down there for awhile :p
Jealousy is a curse :p :wink:

Back
Top Bottom