Favourite place you have visited with the best bowling lanes

M

mick07

g'day bowlers

what has to be the best place you have been to and bowled real good out of your hometown

i'll start off my favourite place has to be Bendigo and they have the best lanes ever i bowled on their lanes like about 6 years ago :)

anyways feel free to talk about your favourite place you have visited with the best bowling lanes

i have not been to a lot bug i would have to say the new centre at macarther near campbelltown, before that it was down in canberra for the brunswick cup.

looking for to newcastle

along with Bendigo's bowling lanes Geelong Bowl-A-Rama is good :D :D

The old-style Townsville Lanes circa 1992, with well maintained wooden lanes, the old style AMF masks with the magic triangle and excellent pin carry.
Wasn't the most modern of places but had a certain homeliness about it that I liked.
Still remember walking along the capping during a junior Nationals event there one year with a towel to remove a large frog that was on the 5-board about 25 feet down the lane, managing to snaffle up this frog in my towel while the two or three girls on my pair just about went into labour at the sight of this frog :lol:

Another favourite was the 'old style' Moonah, although it was a dump in the end before it was renovated and it needed to be upgraded urgently, it had more atmosphere than any other centre I've ever seen, the accoustics were great and a crowd of 50 people in the place sounded like 500 crammed in there.
I still remember the roar when I, or somebody else were on their way too a 300, used to make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.
Big tournament matches were the same when the crowd got behind you, it used to inspire you.
That's the one great pity with the renovation, although the place generally is a great improvement on the old one facilities wise, that special one-of-a-kind atmosphere has been lost and the place seems very flat and lacks any real character or spark these days.

But is was great while it lasted.

Aspley is still home to me, so I would put it number one.

Geelong is a great centre to bowl at.

Sunset Superbowl in Toowoomba - great layout up there, it's awesome.

Worst centre layout wise - probably Moorabbin.

Another favourite was the 'old style' Moonah, although it was a dump in the end before it was renovated and it needed to be upgraded urgently, it had more atmosphere than any other centre I've ever seen, the accoustics were great and a crowd of 50 people in the place sounded like 500 crammed in there.

Is that 'old style' as in that horrendous orange masking from waaay back that I saw in some old videos? HaHa!
I dont know what my favourite centre is. I usually like to bowl at Bankstown, but the rest of it aint that great. I like to bowl in my own centre when our Kegel isnt being borrowed or broken. Didnt mind bowling at Aspley either...

The layout at Moorabbin is similar to a few other AMF centres I have visited, where its all cramped up and access to the end 2-3 pairs is a joke, especially when carting a roller with you. Warrawong had a horrible layout, always a nightmare to be bowling there. Cant forget Cheso here either...great to bowl at but its a shame about the stairs and lack of space when there is a tournament.

Is that 'old style' as in that horrendous orange masking from waaay back that I saw in some old videos? HaHa!
:lol: The red, maroon, orange and gold masks {1985-1998} weren't that bad when they were fairly new, just looked a bit tattered in the finish.
Finished up painted Grey, White & Pink in the mid-90's and looked atrocious, so they were ripped out and replaced by that tatty looking mural.

I would've loved to see the old all white masks, black lane numbers with red magic triangle and 'pindicator' be reinstalled
icon14.gif

That, combined with original atmosphere would've made the place look like a real, if somewhat retro type of centre.
Nothing will ever beat the old atmosphere of Moonah ;)

we wouldn,t say its the best to bowl on, but the centre is awsome,
that would be the only centre in bali with its walls made from wood carvings and mirrors its nice,

Back
Top Bottom