league standings sheets

Our league at Knox (Super League) emails a copy of the standing sheet to the secretary for checking and then emailed to myself for posting on our league website.

But I think it would be good to go to one central place to view your league standing sheets like the TBA website or something similar.

We always have a league standing sheet available at the counter for bowlers to look at whilst they pay their fees, & then they're put onto a league board for everyone to look at during the week. I don't understand why a center wouldn't provide this, sounds a bit silly really.

I remember bowling at Mascot and wanting a standing sheet, but the league secretary kept telling me I wasnt allowed one. That was BS because we should all be allowed to see them when we ask for a copy. The only times we should be turned down is when the sheets are not correct (because the league just restarted) for average purposes.

Good to see AMF do something for the League bowlers, i'm sure they'll eventually update all leagues though...

Wouldn't it be great if you could jump on a website, punch up your TBA # and see all of your leagues, tournaments, and so forth...

That would be ideal ...Hopefully the TBA sees the value in keeping accurate records and institutes such a system.

Unfortunately that would rely on League Secretaries providing TBA with official league standing sheets each week. As a Centre Association Secretary I am still waiting on several leagues to give me their standing sheets and league averages at 30th June. Some secretaries don't have computers or internet access and therefore realistically how do you expect them to send standing sheets directly to TBA each week. Do you know how much time it takes me just to provide the averages for all leagues in my centre twice a year. I cant rely on the bowls printouts.

Printouts from the bowling computer are mostly but not always right and is not official. It is the league secretaries records that are and these are what should be used.

You must also remember that each bowler should give permission for their information to be posted on a public website. Our centre was posting all leagues scores on their website for a while until warned they should not put full names (especially juniors) on a public website without parental consent.

hi i bowl in ELITE SUPER SINGLES at mt gravatt on a wednesday night .Problem is there are no points listed only total pinfall bit strange.

You must also remember that each bowler should give permission for their information to be posted on a public website. Our centre was posting all leagues scores on their website for a while until warned they should not put full names (especially juniors) on a public website without parental consent.
I can't believe it took 28 posts for this to come up, really.

I don't suppose anyone on here happens to be versed in the reality of this point? I am not, and my understanding is that your name is not a personal detail as such in this context?

Honestly, I publish names (every tournament director/secretary does) with standings all the time (just look at my championships site :p). I think it's just part and parcel of participating in a competition...

You can publish names without permision.

From a phone call last year to the privacy commissioner, I was told that you may publish names as long as the name is not linked with any other information and follows the following guidelines;

"personal information" means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion."

For a good read www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/pa1988108/

Rob

"personal information" means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion."
Rob

What a BS sentence! I have never liked law subjects for this very reason.
Definition of Law definitions: How to use english, or non english, to be as vague or unvague, and non committed or committed as possible while attempting or not attempting to be as specific as possible.

Just a question:
By the sentence above, would a name be regarded as "information"?

Therefore a name should not be allowed to be published, as a name is information, that may or may not be true, that may or may not be recorded in a material form, it is information about an individual whose identity is apparrent or resonably assertained (i.e. you give a person a name to "identify" the person from someone else) from the information (remember, the information is the name).

From my reasoning, a name ticks (or does not tick) all boxes and therfore should be regarded as "personal information" and hence should not be displayed/published!

Now I need a way to get my name in the paper so that I can SUE the whole damn lot of them!

:mad::gun_thug::gun1::gunsmilie::2guns:

When I spoke to them, they refered me to the section refered to in my last post and expained that a name, unless totally unique in identifying that person, may be published without permission.

Rob

I understand this but we had a problem in a Junior league where the results were published on the bowls website showing the kids names and also put in the local paper. The non-custodial parent knew the child liked bowling and found the name on the website, phoned the bowl and asked simply when the league was on and then turned up. There was a restraining order in place but the parent had turned up early and started to bowl themselves (pretending not to know that the child would be coming and saying that it was public place) Unfortunately when the child turned up for league there was a most distressing incident at the bowl and unfortunately we lost the family to the bowling world. Since then the Centre has stopped putting league results on the website or in the local paper.

Whilst I sympathise with that scenario, the problem there is with how it was handled rather than how they found out where to be.

Any regular person can be found without too much trouble, without league standing sheets being available.

:confused:
Have to say I see nothing wrong with a name being published in a paper. Sorry.

Dude, it was a joke!

If you get the gist of my comment, I was wasn't actually referring to the fact that a name should or shouldn't be allowed to be published. Rather the fact that they say it is fine and then direct bowlrig to a stupid sentence that when dissected could be interpreted as it is not alright.

The joke is more on the way legalese write rather than the "privacy" part of it.

Bowlrig,

Not having a go at you mate, having a go at the people who gave you the info, and lawyers/law makers in general.

I understand this but we had a problem in a Junior league where the results were published on the bowls website showing the kids names and also put in the local paper. The non-custodial parent knew the child liked bowling and found the name on the website, phoned the bowl and asked simply when the league was on and then turned up. There was a restraining order in place but the parent had turned up early and started to bowl themselves (pretending not to know that the child would be coming and saying that it was public place) Unfortunately when the child turned up for league there was a most distressing incident at the bowl and unfortunately we lost the family to the bowling world. Since then the Centre has stopped putting league results on the website or in the local paper.

The non custodial parent would have known the child liked bowling to begin with. To someone who doesn't actually know these children, god knows how many people have the same name, in Australia. You could get some name off the internet, & half the time it won't even be the persons true identity.

Back
Top Bottom