league ruling classification

bm2

I'm still standin'
Can someone please assist with a small clarification which is needed in the interpretation of the league guidelines.

The majority of league constitutions state that to be eligible to receive prizemonies at the end of the league season, a bowler must have bowled at least 50%, or 2/3 of the league (dependent on the particular league in question). The question is - what part of the bowlers' participation is counted, ie if a bowler participated for part of the league as a roving reserve, before joining a team and becoming a permanent member of the league, are those sub games counted towards his/her total participation, or should only the number of games played as a permanent member of the league count???????

Any thoughts on this matter will be viewed with much interest, so thank you in anticipation!!!

Broni & Jagga
icon_sad.gif
icon_confused.gif

To my understanding there is no real clarification of the rule which will give you a straight answer. My understanding and view is that all games bowled in the same season, irrelevant of if they were a reserve or not, SHOULD count towards the final results.

The only exception would be if they bowled a high game or series. In this case no individual awards would be allowable whilst that person was not an offical member of a team. Team awards should still be allowable though.

This is not the rules, just my understanding of the unclear rule that exists now.

George
icon_razz.gif

George is right, the rule is unclear. However like most league rules it is up to the individual league to make those decisions.
In an ideal world this would have been anticipated at your reformation meeting, discussed, and decided on by all present.
However if your league is like most others little things do crop up which aren't covered at that meeting and they have to be dealt with later.
The easiest way to deal with it is to call a captains meeting and have them vote.
If they feel that the entire league should be involved in the decision so be it.
Remember that any issues not fully covered in your constitution can be decided by majority vote, however if something is in your constitution and you want to change it, you need a unanimous vote.
Funny thing is that despite the years some of us have been league bowling, things still crop up for the first time, so you are certainly not on your own.
Good luck whatever you decide, I hope this has helped.

My feeling on this one is that if the bowler has paid social/prizefund money for the prescribed amount of weeks they should be eligible.

If however when they were a roving sub another person paid their bowling fees+social then No it shouldnt be counted as really that money was going towards those other bowlers prizefund and not the roving reserve.

Just my take on it .. hope it makes sense.

I think you will find that as the rule says"bowled 50% or 3/4 depending on your league constitution" means ALL games bowled in the league whether as a rover, in a team or also as post and pre bowls. There is no distinction made as long as that person has bowled the required amount of games.

This should apply for individual as well as team awards as long as that team winning the award has paid all the trophy fund. It's the teams decision whether they share with the new bowler especially if he or she was not bowling with them when the winning team score was bowled.
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

George, Andrew, Graham and Sandi..

many thanks for your interpretations, you are right, there are always blindspots in a league constitution that you do not anticipate when the end of the season draws near. The reformation meeting shall put into place some more concise rulings for next season!
again, many thanx!

Bronni
icon_biggrin.gif

No problems,

Just a little snippet that I thought that you might like read, we had our league presentation last night where that rule was also a matter of contention. The female bowler bowled a 257 for league high game but missed out because she was 4.1 games shy of bowling 50% of the league. It didn't go down too well with that team.

My 248 didn't get high game either as our rules say that you can only win one award per night and my 678 series {which was high series} was bowled that night.

See you soon Sandi
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

I believe this is a fairly clear cut situation.
The issue is money..(prize fund.)..and how a blind score effects that prizefund.
In 99% of leagues the blind score is either the bowlers average .less 10 pins..or a sub can be used..or both..or whatever.
Constitutions always cover that aspect.
If a sub pays the full league fees whenever they sub...(and this would only happen in 1% of leagues..if that..as most are contract leagues)..then joins the league its a seamless process..the losers (prizemoney wise) being the bowlers that have pulled out of the league ..their penalty being they forfiet what they have paid so far..a reward for the replacement bowler.(half the season paid for already)..its a takeover situation.

If the sub doesnt pay..that bowler is just that..a blind Score..not a person,a non entity ..cant claim high games/series..cant vote,cant complain..(theoretically) within the league..no rights..a fill in..a gap plugger..just bowl a score,help the league/team/players out ,have a good time,and go home.
As the absent bowler pays for that nights bowling..they are the ones who still own the prizefund and the league,s benefits.
The clock starts ticking when the league looks in danger of not finishing with the same prize funds as stated at the seasons beginning..ie someone has pulled out and a permanent replacement is required.

Back
Top Bottom