League Concept Idea

Hybrid Boy

I'm currently running a competition at Forest Hill lanes using your league scores. I'm quite willing to run this for each league or leagues from the one centre if generates enough interest. Based on your series scores, points are awarded to a bowler on 2 fronts. For every 10 pins scored a bowler will receive a point. 643 series would score 64.3 points with further points awarded for where your series ranks amongst all other scores. Decreasing in 5 point increments from 1st all the way down to last. For eg:if series ranked 4th of 10 bowlers you would receive an additional 35 points. A weekly fee of $10 applies with weekly prizes for highest & second highest series with overall prizemoney allocated to all bowlers regardless of finishing position. One being run at the moment have made 22 week comp with weekly prizes of $30 to the winner, $20 to the runner up. Winner overall receiving $450, runner up $300 third $225 all the way down to $10 for last. This is based on 11 bowlers. For this to work at other centres would need a nominated bowler from each centre to collect funds on a weekly basis then disperse weekly prizemoney as well as paying out overall at the end of the comp. I've set up a detailed spreadsheet which I've spent a number of hours on giving overall standings, series ave per bowler, prizemoney earned to date, series ave for the week with a humour element attached. Proving very popular with bowlers currently in it. If this gets off the ground would require an e-mail supplying bowlers names & centre along with series scores. Results could then be e-mailed back the following day. Based on 15 bowlers for a 20 week comp total prizemoney would be $3000.00. Weekly prizes could be $40 to the winner, $20 to the runner up. Weekly prizemoney would amount to $1200.00. Overall prizemoney being $1800.00. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on how this idea is received & whether any leagues are willing to give it a shot. If anyone would like to see the spreadsheet or would like further clarification please send PM.

Regards,

Darren Hallifax.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has taken this on board & if so how it's been received by the participating bowlers.

Darren.

I've taken a copy of this idea and will give it to my league to see if we can generate any interest in your idea.
I must say, it does read with interest in the idea of a second comp in the league concept to generate an interest. It could make sandbagging a thing of the past.
Would there be any Hcp in the scores. If so, what would the format be?
Maybe ave between 185 to 205, or another group 165 to 180? maybe another concept.
Just another thought for you. In leagues that have lower ave, with the concept of ave brackets could be interesting for them..
This way, the bowler then must try and do his best all the time. You know how some bowlers throw away their last frame when not going well.
Another thought, What about their best two games on the night. Could generate some interest too.
Anyway, there is a few thoughts for you to think about.
Good to see some are trying to generate a spark in the bowling world.
Good luck in effort.

Tony B.

Darren, I've thought of another format to think about, what if you have the first two games with hcp, and the third game scratch. That one I would be interested in.

Tony B.

Tony,

I neglected to mention scores are based on your series with handicap. I've invited bowlers with averages of 180+. The idea of having average brackets is fine. Quite happy to run that. Ed Fleming Lanes are starting a singles league mid July with this very idea in mind. Top 14 averages in one division, next 14 averages in the next division, with the next 14 averages being in the lowest division. If bowlers throw away games in my concept they will fall further down the ladder due to the series ranking points system. Splitting the bowlers up dependant on average is a good one. Could run both a scratch comp & a handicap one. But harder to get enough takers when just scratch. The idea of having two games handicap & one scratch I hadn't thought of but will give some thought. I'm running another comp beginning late August which will be matchplay based on your pins over average as compared to your series average. This will then be matched against your opponent for that particular week to see who wins the 20 point bonus. The concept currently being run covers bowlers from 3 differing leagues. Thanks for your support.

Darren.

Back
Top Bottom