Ive picked out a ball byt need help

S

SwitchAxe

Ok I have been doing a lot of research and have decided that I am going to get a Storm Diablo. Now I have heard a lot of people talk about top weight and pin placement....I dont know what to get them ordered at so I need your help on explaining them to me and what to put them at when I order the ball...Thanks

heya well pin placement refers to the distance between the cg( center of gravity and the pin which is the top of the wieght block. a bigger pin placement helps because it allows you to have more drilling options open too you and thus get what you want out of the ball and what you want it to do.
top wieght ( finger wieght) refers to the amount of wieght above the fingers, move top wieght the more the ball skids before it hooks. generally top wieght doesnt matter that much when choosing a bowling ball because you can drill it with however much top wieght or as little top wieght as you want. I hoped this helped and if you have any more questions id advise you to talk to your pro shop operator

Yes that did help...So what I think ill do is get a pin placement on but what should that be when I order it? Also I dont think I will have any top weight on it.

Sorry Storm, just regarding ur post...
are u talking about top weight? or finger weight? coz from what i know... finger weight controls how long ur ball goes.... top weight is merely the amount of weight at the top side of the ball where the fingers and thumb are drilled into... please correct me if i am wrong
R

Rayzer said:
please correct me if i am wrong

Ok, your wrong, but thats another post.....

Honestly, for what you are after, it doesnt matter about pin placement or top weight.

If you have a choice, or if you must pick top weight and pin placement. go with something between 2-4inch pin placement, and 2-3.5oz top weight.

Cheers!

Personally, I would choose a pin/top weight on how I would want it drilled, and the based on the span of the bowler.

If you had a short span, say 3.5", I wouldn't want a pin that was 3-4" long. Limits the drilling possibilites. Likewise, I wouldn't want a 1-2" pin for a span of 5", unless I wanted the pin under the fingers.

Top weight is another beast.... If you want to drill the ball with the CG kicked way out towards your axis, I wouldn't want it to be anything more than 3oz, otherwise taking out the excess sideweight to make it legal is difficult, if not impossible.

Just my opinion. Take it for the 2c it's worth... ;)

bowlrig said:
Ok Tonx, could you please explain your last post for us please.
Rob

Sure, ive got enough time now :)

Static weights don't matter in ball reaction. Finger weight, thumb weight, side weight, top and bottom weight all dont play a significant roll in todays ball reaction. Ball surface, pin to Positive Axis Point (PAP) distance and Mass Bias (in asymmetrical gear) play the largest factor in dictating how a ball will roll/react. Size and placement of X-holes also play a small factor.

Reading over SwitchAxe's previous posts, it seems as though he currently uses only 1 ball. That would mean that he is newer to the SPORT of bowling. He obviously has his mind made up on getting a Diablo, so I won't bother suggesting something else. Most competent drillers are able to use a BASIC drilling pattern with most pin placements between 2-4 inches.

I wouldnt expect any driller to want to do a super aggressive (stacked lev, etc) drilling for this particular bowler, especially since the diablo is quite a strong ball to start off with, however I have seen stranger things done.

To each his own, I just offered my suggestion.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the answers. I talked to (Pete) after bowling practice today and see what they had to sell from the bowlign lane. It turns out they sell all the balls that you can find online. I can get a Diablo for $105 from him and get drilling for $35 and tips put in for $8. Now that seems like good prices to me and he will help me with how he will be drilling it. He is a very good driller and I am thrilled that I actually get to work with him. Thank you for all your help, otherwise I would still be lost.

Back
Top Bottom