Its even tougher.

Hey Strop

Yes you came 1st in 2009 and 2nd in 2010 with a 240+ and 220+ average which must have both been on a ditch. In 2011 when we started setting the 6:1 the best you could do was a 197 average finishing 17th and sadly you did not return in 2012 to experience the more challenging pattern.

Hopefully we will see you at Rooty Hill this year - let me know what squad you would like :)

I don't have a problem with tough conditions Susanne..........Rooty Hill, might get there yet............won my last tournament there, nice place!!

And if tough what bowlers want, quite happy to change Adelaide condition to tough.............they should be use to it by then...........:)

let the adults scene have the competitive patterns......Why do the seniors need them

Correct me if I am wrong Tony, but are the first few tournaments of the year are played on the WTBA or sport patterns to help pick the national team, then the patterns are back to normal/easier conditions after that?

I can understand this to a degree as these patterns are what are played on OS for national team trips. I guess it is just the severity of the patterns used that may cause issue for people, and it is up to individuals to decide whether they want to compete. I am guessing most don't have a problem if the seniors tournaments keep getting the impressive numbers they already do get. I can say from my own personal point of view, I have pretty much had enough of bowling on some of the patterns we use, they are usually never laid properly, resulting in some hideous mutation occurring and just become a weekend grind.

And maybe I shouldn't be commenting at all, because, hey, I am not over 50, nor have crippled body parts from bowling, but I think a common theme applies across all eras of bowling and that is education can only improve bowlers. Brenton probably alluded to the issues, especially a shorter pattern being in use.

Perhaps another option is to still have some level of 'sport' pattern to dictate the type of shot that needs to be used, without the high punishment for mistakes and for those that make the team, then they can be directed through education to bowl on suitable patterns to suit similar to OS in their own time.

There are only 3 senior events that are required to lay a WTBA pattern and they are the first 3 senior events of 2013 as they are our trails for the World Seniors team all other senior ranked events do not have to lay a WTBA pattern. It is only the open and youth event that are required to lay an approved WTBA pattern.

That means the Hammer, Australian Seniors Open and the Canberra Seniors

You are correct Michael, at the end of the day it was all slapped together by TBA at the 11th hour to make the first 3 tournaments like this. I'm sure next time it will be better planned.
I don't know how to put this but at the end of the day the thing that makes or breaks tournaments is the bread and butter people who bowl 70 % of them at least that don't care about conditions that come and have a good time away with the friendship of the event, then you have the ones (20%) that want to improve there game and enjoy the competiveness and then the serious ones (10%) that do care about conditions and bring all the science into it.
I know for a fact tournaments dont survive with out that 70 %, and I do agree with Stephen quite a bit in what he says.
All I know is I hate the politics that comes with the sport, it's been around for the 40 years I have been with it...............
I know that most bowlers at our age feel better walking out with a 200 ave than spending all that money coming to an event aveing 170 and a bit frustrated........but hey this is just my opinion and observations over the years......

The TBA should have ran there own tournaments for qualifing for Vegas then all this Sh.t would of went there way and not at the people that give up THERE free time for all the bowlers around Australia.I for one pulled out of Canberra not going to spend nearly $500.00 to bowl on a condition that I would not be able to bowl on.As for Keon Park all those bowlers who bowled AO and spent plenty of dollars for the weekend if you are not happy send a email to Cara so this does not happen again. No Ditch No Daz.

Darrell Holt.

You are right Tony, any tournament won't survive without the 70 percent who most likely go for the chance to not only compete but catch up and share a weekend with friends.

Have said a few times now, I honestly can't see why the seniors need to bowl on hard patterns. Doesn't really make any sense.

I will not to spend hundreds dollars to catch up with friends, we can do this with facebook, phone, ..., seniors come to bowl is to win, to have a good ranking. As a national tournament (Open, Senior, ...), should have a hard condition than a ditch condition, because the results will be used for ranking and the selection of international events. I will not agree Tony's view, walk out with 200 average on a ditch condition, only can happy about is you had a lucky day.

Don't need to worry about the lack of senior bowlers, in stead of, what we do when we had many seniors.

I will not to spend hundreds dollars to catch up with friends, we can do this with facebook, phone, ..., seniors come to bowl is to win, to have a good ranking. As a national tournament (Open, Senior, ...), should have a hard condition than a ditch condition, because the results will be used for ranking and the selection of international events. I will not agree Tony's view, walk out with 200 average on a ditch condition, only can happy about is you had a lucky day.

Don't need to worry about the lack of senior bowlers, in stead of, what we do when we had many seniors.

JP, I don't think you need to have a ditch to make people happy, but laying down some brutal patterns, that also become horrendous due to the house conditions, is not what is needed. Tony is correct in that the majority should be catered for, I am sure there is a middle ground somewhere.

Brutal = To be a happy Senior

Mick, the pattern was not a brutal pattern at SAO, no problem to get into the pocket, as someone mentioned before, the lower scores was because of missing spares, I have never seen so many spears missed including some good spear shooters. I think that could be a lane topography issue, the issue was more exposed with a short pattern.

I spoken to many seniors, most of them would like to bowl on a challenge condition instead of ditch, If I remember correctly, it had the same answer in TBA survey a year back.

Guess what JP - if they keep serving up the conditions they have in the first 2 tournaments of this year then in 12 months time there will only be you, Suzanne and maybe up to 10 others bowling in them for a prize fund of a pair of rabbits... cheers Tony

J P what did you say rankings were for ,they didn't use it for Vegas and i think any one who put their name down can bowl in asian seniors ...............................?

Years ago no one new the oil patterns and etc bowlers turned up and just bowled. So wat would happen if TBA turned around and said 2014 no1 will know the patterns untill u turned up. Just think OMG bowlers would have to adjust on the spot atleast it will see who can and cant..

Just my thoughts

But in the 'old' days, bowlers were not travelling/bowling with so much equipment. Like it or not, it is the way our sport has developed - just look at league nowdays - 3 games x 6/8 balls. Competition is more about what equipment you have than what you score in some cases. In saying that, the equipment certainly kept me in the game for a lot more years of enjoyment. Cannot turn back the clock ! IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom