Its even tougher.

And was there the same scathing comments after the Australian Open last year about laying ditches that there regularly is after a Seniors event when the winner averages 230.

To be honest I can't remember, but the averages were a joke. There is really only one guy in this country capable of hitting those averages on just about anything and he doesn't compete here too often.

But I don't think anyone really whinges about the seniors averaging 230 to win an event, I am sure most realise the averages are over inflated. They are what they are and the conditions are the same for everyone.

I don't think the patterns are the problem, the problem is under exposure to different patterns. It is not easy to come off bowling 3 or 6 games a week on a house ditch and then go and bowl a tournament on a sport or WTBA pattern. IMHO.

Hence why this system is in place so to speak, to give exposure to these patterns to at least prepare a little for when traveling OS. I think the problem is not always marrying the pattern to the centres conditions.

As I have said for juniors and open bowlers alike, education is the key.

I don't think the patterns are the problem, the problem is under exposure to different patterns. It is not easy to come off bowling 3 or 6 games a week on a house ditch and then go and bowl a tournament on a sport or WTBA pattern. IMHO.

We run a Peterson league in Adelaide which rotates with different WTBA and Kegel Oil Patterns every 5-6 weeks. We're in the fortunate position that the AMF Centre is quite supportive of us and allows us to lay these patterns.

I'm not sure if there are other leagues like this around Australia, but if you wanted to get more experience in bowling in harder conditions, I'd suggest finding (or starting) a league like this and giving it a go.

Don't expect to be averaging much over 210 though :)

I like Robert Chinner are amazed at the number of NON Senior bowlers that want to make comment on this posting. At the Australian Open there wereover 40 bowlers that were 60 and over. Any bowler who is not at least 50 should not comment on what seniors need. When you reach 60+ and have arthritis in both hands, two crook shoulders, two knees that are shot and a back that is buggered then come and tell us what conditions you would like to bowl on. 98% of Seniors use these events as a chance to catch up with "old" friends, remember the good old days and share a few drinks. The easier the conditions the better at our age. Those seniors wanting to get OS conditions go and bowl in the Adult division "good luck".

Well I'm glad there is no us V them problem.
Lets see if anyone bites on this comment.....
;)

If I can get a response from someone that Actually bowled on the condition at Keon Park on the weekend and has some knowledge of lane conditions, I would like to know if the condition that was given to us to bowl on was what was actual the advertised condition. I went to Keon Park with a rough plan as to what the line might be and the equipment that might work, this went out the window during practice. I expected that there would be a reasonable back end, but on the first ball just managed to hit the 6-10 pins. I tend to watch the bowlers that can carry and the only ones that did carry had a lot of ball speed which at 61 I'm sadly lacking as are a lot of others. I have bowled in the US and after seeing the proposed lane condition have worked out a plan of equipment and possible line that might work, in most cases I have been reasonably successful. In Aussie land we rely on the Centre Tech's to ensure the machines are serviced and laying the required pattern on the lanes, there is no check on the lanes to see if the pattern is as required.
I'm getting to old to get frustrated that I can't throw the ball hard enough to get a competitive score on what ever these conditions we have had to bowl on in the last two Senior tournaments and waste money travelling to each state. If it wasn't for the friendship from fellow bowlers I probably would have given up years ago. I just want a fair go for someone that has been bowling since I was 14 (49years) and was enjoying it.
With my poor knowlege on the line conditions thought that you need to lay the same parten for at least 4 days in a row to get the right pattern lay down

98% of Seniors use these events as a chance to catch up with "old" friends, remember the good old days and share a few drinks. The easier the conditions the better at our age. Those seniors wanting to get OS conditions go and bowl in the Adult division "good luck".

Hi Belly

I disagree with your above statement Steve. I do not use these events to "catch up with "old" friends, I bowl these events to satisfy my competitive nature. Although these patterns are extremely difficult for a large number of bowlers and more so, the ladies, I would prefer to bowl a low average in a ranked event than a huge average on a house pattern. I get no personal rewards from bowling on house patterns and avoid doing so on a regular basis. On the rare occasions that my body and my brain allow me to bowl successfully in a tournament is, to me, an achievement.

A very large number of Seniors suffer injuries but still get up and bowl when we can hardly walk. I don't believe we do this "to remember the good old days and share a few drinks" we could do this as a spectator and not waste our money.

Yes, I have made some friends and we do enjoy catching up, which is a bonus, but we leave that until we are off the lanes. The Senior & Grand Senior Ladies may not outwardly display their competitiveness but I can assure you it is alive and thriving and believe that most would agree with this.

PS: To those that did not bowl at Keon Park: The pattern played as I expected it would and as far as I could ascertain was set as advertised

Regards Susanne

I had stayed away fron this topic but, well, here goes.

The problem most people had with the condition was that it was very unforgiving to minor variations in rotation and ball speed. Most bowlers, from my observations were using either very aggressive balls and/or very aggressive layouts. As a result most bowlers were suffering a lot of "over/under". I was fortunate enough to have with me a ball with a very weak layout that allowed me to have a bit more control of the "over/under". Anything laid out for quick reaction to friction was going to be difficult to control.

As for the condition, I thought it played different to what I expected. I usually have to play straight up 5 on this type of pattern, but I was swinging the ball considerably more than I had expected to. I feel there was too much friction at Keon Park for a short pattern and that the wear on the right side of the lane also affected the way the condition played. Most bowlers did not have the ball speed required to play hte condition either. As a final obstacle, the pins at Keon Park were virtually brand new which adversely affected the carry most players, especially those with slow ball speed, were able to achieve.

My 0.02c

I would prefer to bowl a low average in a ranked event than a huge average on a house pattern. I get no personal rewards from bowling on house patterns and avoid doing so on a regular basis. On the rare occasions that my body and my brain allow me to bowl successfully in a tournament is, to me, an achievement.

Then go bowl the Adult tournaments?

Hey Strop

That response was totally unnecessary and belittling, something you are becoming very good at since you don't bother bowling the Seniors Circuit anymore.

Susanne

I am not advocating that the Seniors Pattern should be has hard as they have been but I do not believe an 11 to 1 house pattern is saying much for the skills of the Seniors.

Unless your a leftie at your home centre and need all the help you can get :)

I have always set an in between pattern at the Sydney Classic which is around 5 to 6:1, which has shown to be a reasonable compromise in the past.

Susanne

Not sure where you get the belittling from..........its simple.......let the adults scene have the competitive patterns......Why do the seniors need them.........and as for the sydney classic in the past well the 2 years I finished first and second, they were in my words...ditched up!.........As far as me bothering not bowling the seniors scene......well I changed my mind, I may still turn up to some.................Not sure where you you going with the leftie talk.......????

Back
Top Bottom