Interstate travel - luggage costs ???

jk12x

BowlingStatsManager.com
Hi Guys,

I am considering some interstate travel to tournaments. What are the costs for luggage. I can't find much on the plane websites. I would imagine I would be travelling with a 3 ball roller and a 2 ball roller.

Flight costs are pretty standard and usually pretty reasonable however I have heard some horror stories in excess luggage fees. I believe TBA used to have some sort of sports allowance with Virgin but I believe that has gone.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
JK

I know you can pay extra money with Jetstar which will give you 40kg.
I also suggest taking tote bags not rollers because they will get broken

Last time i flew was to & from the Nationals last year. Went with Qantas. There excess baggage charges were:
your fare covered 1 bag up to 23Kg & within 7 days of departing you can go online & purchase Additional Baggage Allowance for $20.00 per bag up to 23kg per bag. See below the current Additional Baggage fee off the Qantas site:

Additional Baggage Allowance Charges
Pre-Purchased Additional Baggage Allowance (AUD)
5kg 10kg 15kg 25kg 35kg
Australian Domestic $20 per piece up to 23kg per piece
International (New Zealand/Papua New Guinea) $35 $70 $105 $175 $245
International mid-haul (Asia & Noumea) $122.50 $245 $367.50 $612.50 $857.50
International long-haul other than Americas^
(Europe and South Africa) $175 $350 $525 $875 $1,225
International long-haul - The Americas^ $105 per piece up to 23kg per piece

With Virgin you can pre purchase 23kg per passenger for $12...otherwise it will be $40 at the airport.
If you take a 3 ball tote, that will be about 22 - 23kgs.
I am not sure about other airlines, but with Virgin, you can only buy the 23kg once, other than that pay excess or post your gear.

I went with suitcase & 2 bowling bags cost an extra $40.00...$20.00 per bowling bag booking online with Qantas or was double that paying at airport

Hey Jon,

I went with Jetstar from Brisbane to Sydney. Got 15kg checked baggage for 13 dollars: two bowling balls in a tote. :)

If your taking 5 balls; with an expectation that 1 ball = 7.5kg (keep it on the heavy side so you know you wont go over) then you are looking at 40kg for 40 dollars when you book! :)

Also; Ontop of Bec's comment; I'd go tote bags rather than rollers......

I don't have any problem with excess luggage. I only take two bowling balls with me. That's the advantage of been left handed.
Cheers Lovey

That's not true Lovell - the reason you only take two balls is because you are cheap! Anyway I saw what you packed the last time you flew with bowling equipment - one was an Amflite 3 dotter the other was the green Manhattan Rubber [you know the one you couldn't buy unless you averaged at least 175 - so how did you get that anyway pal?]. Now I don't have time to banter Steven - my tee time this afternoon is at 1530. Fore......................

Jones

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the feedback. Every penny helps when travelling, especially with gear.

Hopefully look forward to seeing you at some interstate events.

Lovey - think I have a long way to go before needing only 2 balls to bowl with - you're a better lefty than I ! Thanks for the chuckle though.

:)

Cheers
Jon K

Virgin are definitely the worst when it comes to excess baggage, however I have heard they are going to change their policies in line with Jetstar and Qantas.

Jetstar, usually the flights are cheap enough, I pay the $40 excess which gives me the choice of 5 balls in a 3 ball roller and 2 ball tote, and I just take my clothes carry on.

Qantas as Rob has said is $20 per extra bag, up to 23kg, so a 3 ball roller weighs 23kg on the dot, so I get to take 6 balls with me and again, I just take my clothes carry on luggage.

If you can get a cheap enough flight to where you are going on Qantas, defn do that, otherwise I am more than happy to fly Jetstar.

Back
Top Bottom