Inter City Shield

Shadows Fall

Prince of Darkness
Well the 2010 Inter City Shield, North Queensland Masters and Championships have been run and won, and boy there were some highlights.

Firstly a huge thank you to all the people who took part, especially the guys from Mount Isa and Mackay who travelled huge distances to take part.

I really think that the whole three tournaments were played in great spirit, with great comraderie and sportsmanship on and off the lanes. It was great to catch up with many old friends as well as making some great new ones.

In Championships we had 2 x 300 games bowled by Robbie Buckley and Angelo Nucifora as well as a 299 by Aaron Nowak. Angelo bowled his 300 during doubles, and was one of the best 3 game series you will ever see. He threw 33 of a possible 36 strikes, with games of 263, 300, 269 for an 832 series. I am told it is the highest series ever shot in Cairns, and helped to lead Angelo and partner Geoff Ott to the Open Doubles title and a new Championships record of 1460* breaking the old mark of 1424 set by Gary Bailey and Steve Hunt the day before.

Onto the Masters and the Restricted Masters was bowled on the Thursday night and the bowers battled through until 2am before the winners were decided. I am unsure of the winners but all bowlers deserve credit for battling it out ito the wee hours.

In the Senior Masters held on Friday afternoon, it was a small field but a highly competitive one. In the women Coral Haworth (Cairns) was victorious, while Kev Dowley (Innisfail) snatched victory in the last game.

The open Masters on the Friday night saw Maddy Hill (Cairns) take out the ladies title by 5 pins from Kate Murry (Mount Louisa) with Brenda Carr (Ayr) a further 7 pins back. In the men Stephen Hunt (Kirwan) took out the title from Rob Buckley (Kirwan) and the fast finishing Brian Thomas (Cairns).

Inter City Shield was a hard fought affair in all divisions with lot of great bowling all played in great spirit.

In the Handicap divisions the ladies was taken out by (I'm having an Alzheimers moment and can't remember) while the mens was taken out by Atherton Tablelands.

In the scratch divisions the ladies was taken out by Innisfail, while the mens was taken out by Kirwan.

The overall trophy was taken out by Mount Louisa in a great all round team effort.

A big thanks should go to John and Sandra Carr, all the staff at the bowl and the great sponsors who made the tournament possible.

Finally I would like to thank my two artistic directors and super cheer squad in Katrina Hart and Maddie McGee, you guys were awesome, thankyou for being so great :D :D

Once again thanks to everyone for making such a great tournament.

Cheers

Steve :D

A big thank you to Sandra and John for working hard and putting in the hours over the last week.

To my team mates from Mt.Louisa well done, we did it. :smilie_gruenweiss:

This was my first intercity shield as a restricted bowler and must admit it is way better being a bowler than a mum on the side line watching all day. I would like to personally thank Judy and Ken Hunt on a wonderful job of coaching our team, especially Judy telling me before I bowled my second ball, how many boards to move. I don't know how many grey hairs I gave poor Judy over the weekend with my bowling, but I did repay her, bowling my last game on Monday with my PB of 192, a wonderful five bagger.

Congratulations to all the bowlers in All Stars as well, it was a pleasure to bowl in a team with my daughter and husband for our final year of bowling.

Also congrats to Cynthia Merritt & Katie Bum for Sports person award, just wondering how much you guys paid the other bowlers to vote for you.;)

Cheers
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom