How much do Americans really know about us?

American Pastime Quiz

That was kind of unfair George..Not very many Americans or any other nationalaities would understand our slang "lingo".

I have devised the same type of quiz for Australians..
What do you know about the game of baseball?

1) Explain earned run average
2) What is a Texas leaguer?
3) Exactly what is a "can of corn"
4) Who was Jackie Robinson?
5) What is a "double header"

Aussies are smart so I didn't bother with multiple choice...;)

1. Run earned by a pitcher, averaged to number of runs divided by 9 innings

2. Pass

3. A catch that was so easy, it was like knocking a can of corn off the top shelf with a stick and catching it.

4. First African American to play in the Majors

5. 2 games played on the same day, usually due to bad weather

Am I close Wayne? hehe

OK - here we go... :D

1. Earned run average (ERA) is a pitching statistic, the lower the number, the better the pitcher. It is probably the most frequently referred to statistic in baseball. The formula used to calculate the ERA is: (Number of Earned Runs x 9) divided by (Number of Innings Pitched)

An 'earned run' is a run for which the pitcher is held accountable. Which means (I think) that the batter gets a run because the pitched ball allowed the batter to score from that pitch.

2. A texas leaguer is "A fly ball that drops between an infielder and an outfielder for a hit" It is not hit far enough to reach the outfield but is hit further than the infield.

3. A can of corn is "In baseball, an easy pop fly to catch or an easy play." A pop fly is where the ball when hit goes high up in the air but not much distance.

4. Jackie Robinson was the first African American to play baseball in the Major Leagues. He started playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946.

5. I think a double header is when two teams play eachother twice over a weekend instead of just one game.

I am not sure about number five Wayne, can you confirm??

Jane..You are wrong on #5
A double header is two games involving the same teams, played back to back on the same day.

BTW..even though Jackie Robinson is officially considered to be the first black major league baseball player..it's not really the case. On May 1st 1884 Moses "Fleetwood" Walker made his major league debut playing for the Toledo Blue Stockings in the American Association (then a major league organization)
But gradually, black players began to be excluded from the white leagues and by the beginning of the new century, there were no black players in organized baseball.

Cool - thanks Wayne.

You obviously have a healthy interest in baseball...

Anytime you feel like quizzing us again go right ahead.. I am sure there are a few other topics you can try out too. :D

Reynolds is going to America??? I didn't know that.

Hey bro, ya better message me and I'll give you some tips on where to go, what to see and of course.... how to act ! LOL

Back
Top Bottom