How long is too long?

tonx

To wait for a cheque from a tournament?

The only reason I ask, is currently it is 4 months to receive a cheque from Brunswick Youth Cup in December last year. At the event, I was told that it would be posted the next week.

After countless emails and PM's to various "People" in AMF, I am still awaiting the cheque. Brett Best PM'ed me over a week ago and stated that it wouldnt be far away. Still no cheque.

So I ask you guys, how long would you wait for a cheque from a tournament before you started getting a little pissed off?

i agree. 14 days maximum!

you fork out the entry fee, bowl to the rules and prize pool advertised, your entitled to your money immediately, but if unavailable for whatever reason, logistics etc etc, 2 weeks would be the maximum.

I would escalate it to TBA, it was an accredited tournament...

The major problem with that approach is it effects their future accreditation, then since they can't get events accredited might they stop bothering?

I agree, TBA go and accredit/sanction/register (whatever it is nowadays) they have a responsibility to the bowler.

At least they should know, so they can know which tournaments, tournament directors/committees, to perhaps ask twice - before they permit their tournament again.

V

Is this going to be the next thing that needs to be placed on an Entry Form

Prize fund based on ?

Payout to bowlers by ?

Very disappointing.

With this sort of thing going on, i would demand payments before i left the centre...You can't bowl on credit so why should they be holding your money for this long...

Hit them interest as well Tonx...

4 months is the biggest load of crap I've heard.

Gone are the days of getting a cheque on the actual day.

Hey Tonx! Dont worry, I am still waiting for my cheque from SA Cup back in Jan as well! It's now April!

Then I waited until November last year to get my cheque from NSW Open which I think was in June.

I just learn now not to worry about it and ride the money off as something I wont ever get.

Dear AMF,

I'd like to bowl in the NSW Open, South Pacific Classic and Brunswick Australia Cup this year. Don't worry about all that entry fee stuff. I'll fix you up by, say March, 2010? I'm good for it.

You can just chase Brett Best for my money if you think it's too late coming.

Love,
Jason

Poor Brett Best, having to chase up this stuff with a bunch of out-of-touch head office desk jockeys! What an idiotic situation they've placed him in. It would be a lot easier for everyone if they just gave him the tournament a/c cheque book and he had the cheques written out at the event. Clearly as one of their managers, senior management apparently feel he can't be given that level of responsibility.

I was thinking about SPC this yr but if this is what's goin on im staying all safe and sound in QLD. It's funny how well K and K works with an external promoter, be nice if more majors could follow suit.

We should go back to good all cash, as we pay our entry fee in cash, so we should get our return in cash.

less problems, no lazy ass management to deal with, we get our money on the day and not when they feel like sending it.

it took me over a month and several phone calls to get my from brunswick cup last year

I like the interest idea Jase, it is a bank after all..... :D

I'll be talking to Brett Best on the weekend, and discussing the situation furthur. If no conclusion is reached, I guess my solicitor will enjoy the extra work being provided and paid for by AMF Australia.

4 months.....

I had a similar problem at the 2007 SPC.
Had to make quite a number of calls before cheque arrived.
It somehow was sent to Keon Park as they thought I bowled league there.
From memory it was about 2 1/2 months before cheque was received.

regards,

Darren.

There is absolutely no reason why the tournament director shouldn't be able to pay cheques on the day.

The bowlers pay the cash in before they bowl, they can't bank cheques on the weekend.....all the TD has to do is beat the bowlers to the bank and deposit the cash to the account on the following Monday. That's how my sport events run. It's really no different, the concept is the same.

Only problem with paying cash on the day is that the TD has to carry a cash float....something I wouldn't be too comfortable with if I was the TD.

Mike,

I'm not sure, but I believe most of the cheques were given out apon presentation of the final. I wasn't able to stay around, because I did a mate a favour and drove back straight after I had finished so he could attend to a family emergency asap. I was told by the tournament team that they were due to arrive later that day, but due to the emergency, I was unable to stay around. So I did the right thing, and left all the relevant details with the tournament committee.

The bowlers pay the cash in before they bowl, they can't bank cheques on the weekend.....all the TD has to do is beat the bowlers to the bank and deposit the cash to the account on the following Monday. That's how my sport events run. It's really no different, the concept is the same.
Wish I had your cash paying participants at my events, I usually get almost exactly the right cash to pay the lineage but not prizes.

In the case of these majors though, who pays cash? Credit cards all the way, in which case they don't have cash on hand to present. Plus I think the case goes through the till, in which case it's in with the centres banking on whatever cycle that is

I agree though, the TD should be empowered to sign the cheques from his events.

Surely the TD could be given the power to provide the cheques on the day. If the Holt Tournament team can get payments to bowlers at presentation night after 2 weeks of bowling day and night, teams, doubles, singles, challenge etc surely a TD can get cheques organised for events conducted over 2 days. There are so many efficient ways to get prize money to bowlers even via EFT or refunds to credit cards. I agree that cash would be too risky not only for the TD but bowlers as well. If you were luck enough to get say $5000 I know I would not be too comfortable carrying that amount of cash around in a busy airport or driving home.

Back
Top Bottom