Hey all ... I want to get GOOD.

E

Ernie McCracken

Hey people, I'm 29 and have started tenpin bowling on a weekly basis for the past 4 weeks with my cousin. I rarely bowl (just ONCE a year at most!), but have always been OK at it (pretty good control). My cousin and I both got the bowling bug a few months back for whatever reason and decided to do it regularly (2-3 games per week). We aim to join a league soon.

As an amateur, my goal has always been to bowl 100+. In 4 weeks, that goal has been revised as I start to get the hang of it. I have bowled scores of 198, 172, 159, 139, etc. over the past 4 weeks with plastic house balls and dirty alley shoes. My goal now is to bowl 125 as a MINIMUM score, 150 as a GOOD score, and anything above 175 is a BONUS. I'm looking at purchasing a proper ball soon, and buying an entry level pair of shoes to really make the effort to become a good bowler. I've also started watching the Masters on Foxtel to learn as much as possible from the experts.

I'm pretty good at accuracy with the plastic ball - bowl straight, hope not to hit the head pin straight on, hope for a strike, and clean up the remaining pin(s). What I don't know how to do, is swing/curl the ball like a 'pro'. Obviosuly, plastic house balls aren't really going to cut it, hence my want for a real ball (I'm looking at the 12lb Raw Hammer Anger as I bowl on AMF lanes and they are generally very oily in the Melbourne area).

My questions: What is the best way to go about learning the basics of proper tenpin bowling? Are there any clinics or local coaches? Are they reasonably priced? Any other links or things I can do to become a good bowler? I want to be able to confidentally break the 200 mark regularly. Wishful thinking?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Michael,

Welcome to the bowling bug! :) I commend anyone who's trying to improve.

First and foremost, if you want to improve, invest some bucks in a coach. The amount of hook you get is directly proportional to the amount and direction of roll you can generate. Knowledge is the key. There's also lots of great technical information available on the web, but none of it replaces good fundamentals. TBA's website www.tenpin.org.au will give you a list of accredited coaches. Build a good foundation on which to play. You'll never regret it.

Bowling balls are not the first place to start, although you will need one that fits your hand as a first base. Speak with a qualified pro shop operator about what type/weight of ball and grip will suit you. There are some very good shops in Melbourne - ask around and ask why people recommend them. Again, TBA's website can help you find accredited drillers.

This is a sport you can pay forever at a lot of levels. (PBA hall of famer Carmen Salvino still claims to be a student of the game at 74, claiming he'll peak at about 80!)

Continue to strive, enjoy your good days and take the knocks as gracefully as you can.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the advise, Jason.

I'm starting to absorb a lot of info from various people/places...

Welcome to this silly frustrating sport
I have been meaning to post a reply but felt someone more qualified would and as Jason did Ill add some comments

As Jason said get a good coach (ask at your local centre)or look on the TBA or Vic tenpins web site.

Let me know if you find one as I believe where few and far between that will take the time with a beginner (But thats another story)

If they ever run a coaching course in Vic go for it I believe you will learn all the fundamentals of the game.

I do however disagree with Jason IMO get your own ball
Maybe not a high performance ball but an entry level ball to start with.
Maybe even something secondhand and get it drilled up for hand.

Learn the fundamentals of the game before you worry about trying to hook a ball.

Theres a fellow that lurks around these pages that goes under the name of TONX I suggest you have a yak to him about balls and shoes etc.
He operates out of Greensborough centre.

I would also get into a league ASAP

You will properly find that the scores you have been bowling socially will not be achievable in league (for a start) so don't give up.

Theres a bit more pressure in league as your score counts (as it has been said many times it a metal game)

All the best

I don't think Jason wasn't recommending getting a new ball. Simply not making it the priority. I agree with him. Find a good coach and learn the fundamentals. This should be the priority. The ball and shoes should follow. Possibly during the first couple of sessions with the new coach. Once you have learnt the fundamentals... Practice, practice, practice!
This sport can take you to some amazing places and meet some amazing people! Enjoy it.

Later Da Cowman!

and don't trust everything that u hear cause some people out in that bowling world have no idea and will tell u anything so that the key who to listen to

Ernie, any of the advice about getting proper coaching is good, but PLEASE, no 12 lb Balls. If you don't use a 16lb Ball - don't bother.

Initially use whatever weight ball you feel comfortable with. Coaching will teach you how to hold and bowl a ball properly. Once you achieve this most of the time you may find you may need to increase/decrease your ball weight as your proficiency improves.

It is not the weight of the ball it is how it is bowled. Many beginner bowlers think only a 16 lb ball works. Baloney..... if it is too heavy for you there is no way you can put the ball on the lane properly or you will cause an injury to yourself trying.

Be guided by experience. Find a coach and a ball driller who can help you make the appropriate decisions and then teach you how to bowl it properly. As you gain experience and become more consistent they you may be able to upgrade your equipment, learn different styles and how to move around on the lane to suit various conditions. There is so much to learn but always remember it takes time, practice and overcoming frustrations to become a good bowler. Enjoy, listen to those you trust and welcome to the world of competition bowling.

Hey, mannah, and others, wonder how many of the top 20 ranked 'Adult female' and 'Senior Female' bowlers use a 12 lb, or lighter ball, V/S how many use a 16 lb. ball?

It's a matter of physics. Lets not be silly. If a 16lb ball feels too heavy, it's the technique that's wrong.

Wonder how many pins you could knock down with a 1 lb. ball??

V/S how many use a 16 lb. ball?

I understand where you are coming from, though I think you may be surprised at how many do bowl a 16lb ball. Not too many actually. 14lb and 15lb are the norm.

When bowling a 10+ game tournaments a 16lb ball can 'feel' a lot heavier towards the end. 14 and 15 pound balls allow you to bowl more games without feeling as 'tired'. With todays technology they can also hit just as hard (well at least a little cleaner than a 16lb steam roller).

When I started to bowl (as a pimple faced kid back in the 90's :p), yes, if you wanted to get better/be the best you NEEDED a 16lb ball, as the technology we have now wasn't available and (still to this day-You may in fact find that with todays tech a 16lb can sometimes hit too hard) a heavier ball will hit harder causing 'better' pin counts.

I bowl 15lb but I have no problem with bowlers (who want to be GOOD - as poster put it) bowling 14lbs. Any less, the technology (at the moment) finds it hard to compensate for the lack of hitting power (consistently).

just my
$0.05

Rhyss.

When bowling a 10+ game tournaments a 16lb ball can 'feel' a lot heavier towards the end. 14 and 15 pound balls allow you to bowl more games without feeling as 'tired'. With todays technology they can also hit just as hard (well at least a little cleaner than a 16lb steam roller).

:mad::surrender:
TIRED? Oh, goodness, gwaicous , poor widdle delicate flowers. The word 'tournament' conjures up ideas of 'sport', of 'competition', which leads to 'athlete',which - oh, my god! And there are some people who think Bowling should be in the Olympics, in place of, say, Syncronised Swimming ?

Wow. Thankls for all the input people. Some conflicting opinions but all appreciated.
Last week I played a couple of games at Chadstone AMF on what appeared to be a dry-ish lane. Opened with 4 horrid open frames but recovered somewhat and ended with 2 scores of 139 and 136. A bit disappointing.
I'm playing 3 more games tonight and am going to try to upgrade to a 14lb ball for at least 1 entire game (maybe all three if it feels OK). Will report back on how I handled the weight upgrade.

Yes,That's a good tape from young Earl, ( I was 5 when he was born ) He was a great bowler, and along with others of his time, had the art of explaining things simply. I understand he died around 7 years ago.
You'll note he said to use the heaviest ball you could. Now, a reasonably normal male, from at least 16 onwards would have the build to use a 16lb ball, so follow Earl's advice. ( and mine ) I can still bowl a bit at 75, with a 16lb ball. my 3 games in last Wednesday night's league , were 289: 214:and 246

16lbs Forever !! Go. Ernie !!

Congratulations, you are nob of the week! :thmbup:

Yeah the quote did show the nob though the below statement takes him to the next level of 'nobdom'. ;)

TIRED? Oh, goodness, gwaicous , poor widdle delicate flowers. The word 'tournament' conjures up ideas of 'sport', of 'competition', which leads to 'athlete',which - oh, my god! And there are some people who think Bowling
should be in the Olympics, in place of, say, Syncronised Swimming ?

Tired was in quotes as it is a subjective term.
You bowled three good games with your 16lb I see. Must have been the extra pound that did it as I have noted that no bowler in the world has bowled those scores with less than 16lbs. (<- Note to self: Should qualify that as sarcasm)

As I acknowledged in my post you are correct, it used to be that you 'should' bowl with the heaviest you could throw, though now days with the tech in the balls this 'can' actually have a negative effect. I have no issue with anyone bowling 14 -16 pound balls it comes down to how you throw the ball and the strength you have.

And what are you actually trying to say?? If you don't get 'tired' then it is no longer a sport?? scheisse, maybe I'll create a thirty pound ball so we can classify bowling as a sport after just one game. :D

I forgot this site is for the full dissemination of insults rather than a vehicle for the dissemination of bowling related information. Sorry!

aww, ok, let me make up for it then:
Honestly though, take your meds and sit back down for your next session of ECT!

It is an old video of Mr Anthony and I dare say it was recorded pre reactive resin. However, it's a good video for Ernie to watch and the 2 related videos. There are also a host of others from different professionals on youtube.

I don't agree with you concerning the 16lb ball. If it's too heavy technique is not going to make a difference if you can't hold the ball. Using house balls are a terrible gauge because the heavier the ball the bigger the finger and thumb holes and most 16lb house balls require you to have hands the size of the Hulk.

Many wouldn't agree with this, but with the way the game is now and if I was Ernie I'd find a good second hand reactive ball and go straight to a full fingertip grip. I just don't see the point in starting out with a conventional drill pattern anymore. Ernie will do it in a few months anyway if he sticks with it and like some will probably have a perfect game within 18 months anyway. Don't let the full fingertip grip scare you Ernie. It's much easier to hold the ball and will give your shot much more power.

Good luck with it Ernie. I hope you stick with the sport. Welcome aboard.

Back
Top Bottom