Here's one for the computer nerds...

weggy

Recently had trouble with my desktop not recognising USB sticks, etc but the USB mouse worked perfectly.

Resorting to the ultimate information resource (Google...) I found a webboard that recommended switching off the wall outlet, and letting it rest for 30 mins. Sure enough - it actually worked.

Now for the question; why exactly does this work? And what would have caused the problem in the first place?

Now for the question; why exactly does this work? And what would have caused the problem in the first place?

What could have caused the problem? - A power spike can cause USB ports, Serial Ports or PS2 ports to spike out, resulting in them not working correctly. Power Spikes can effect a single port or many ports.

Why does this work? - A 'power off' will completely turn off all ports as power is no longer circulating through the mother board. If you only shut down your computer, power is still connected to the ports. Shutting down a computer may seem as though it's shut down, but in affect all hardware components are on standby waiting to be woken up.

Magic?

Its true that spikes can effect the ports, i've had issues that i believe were caused from static.

The most common reason for ports apparently randomly shutting down in computers is over current drain on that port.

This typically happens when you plug in an external HDD into a system that cannot provide more than the specified 500mA over the USB cable and the HDD requires more power than 500mA.

An example of this is your typical external laptop HDD in a USB case. 7200RPM drives require more power than 5400RPM than 4500RPM.

Spikes can cause the same effect and they can originate from plenty of sources.

The most common reason for ports apparently randomly shutting down in computers is over current drain on that port.
This typically happens when you plug in an external HDD into a system that cannot provide more than the specified 500mA over the USB cable and the HDD requires more power than 500mA.
An example of this is your typical external laptop HDD in a USB case. 7200RPM drives require more power than 5400RPM than 4500RPM.
Spikes can cause the same effect and they can originate from plenty of sources.

But dont most external drives have their own power supply?

Edit: Sorry, you did say laptop. Had a senior moment..

Back
Top Bottom