handicap system

V

virginie

Hello,
First, excuse me for my bad English.
Past few years, an enduring controversy in France over the level of handicap.
Indeed, in our tournaments are organized with handicap whose calculation is as follows :
75% of the difference between the average listing of reference which is updated monthly and 220.
Example : 194 on average reference =
220 - 194 = 26
26 x 75% = 19 handicap on each line.
The maximum possible handicap among us is 70
Can you tell me what you think about this system?
Is there also in your country? And in what proportions ?
Thank you for your answers.
Virginie

The only league handicap system which is fair to all bowlers is a 100% handicap based off the difference in the teams combined averages. For far too long the higher average bowlers have voted against raising handicap to 100%, which is expected since they are the bowlers who stand to gain the most advantage with a lower percentage based hdcp system.

Tournaments pose a slightly different problem than league. But you still need to pick a number off which to base your 100% handicap. it could be 210, 220 or even in some cases 230. All depending upon the level of difficulty of your centre.

It is actually a good question.

The run of the mill around our way is either 80% of 200 or 90% of 200.

Are there widely varying differences out there??

Totalbowlers, what system does your League/Leagues use?

100% of 200 where I bowl.

we tried last year in our 4 man teams league having it at 90% of 200 but the lower average bowlers didnt seem to want it again this year...

My league uses 100% of 200 and it seems to work out ok - everyone gets a shot at a good week without subsequently being penalised for it. Another league I was in ran 80% of 200 and, as stated by Wayne, it favoured the higher average bowlers.

The system outlined by Virginie appears excessively complex to me but maths isn't my strong point

Edit: Virginie don't apologise for your English - it's much better than our French :D

i have always bowled in leagues that were 80 or 90% of 200, or even back quite a few years was 80% of 180, i would like to see a 100% handicap system which would be completely fair to low and high average bowlers alike, i mean arent handicaps there to put players on a completely level playing field

In my league it is 90% of 200, which can be confusing to people as they dont know exactly how much over average they get as the handicaped total at the end of each game changes each week.

If it was 100% of 200 then it would be far easier to tell if your over average or not as anything over 200w/handicap is definitely over average.

Whether its 90% or 100% of 200 the one thing im happy with myself is getting my average above 180 at one point and under both percentages of 200, my handicap would have been under 20 regardless.

To get my average above 180 is something i worked really hard for.

What makes it more satisfying is that i havent bowld a 600 series to do it.

Which can also be frustrating as my best 3 game series is 599

My only argument with a 100% of 220 or 230 is that it can in turn make it very difficult for high average bowlers to compete against the lower average bowlers.

When I was a junior starting out it was not unusual for me to bowl 50 over average quite often, only takes a couple of lucky strikes to do that. Now in one of my leagues I'm currently averaging 225 and 30 - 60 over average means 10 - 12 strikes.

I think 100% of 200 is enough. It means that if a 190 average bowler bowls a 260 higher average bowlers have a good chance at the point.

No Matter what sport handicap systems are used there are always discrepencies and arguments on boths sides..look at the Stawell gift..why isn't it run off scratch...because some are quicker than others and so the slower runners need a head start..hmm go figure..isn't that the idea of racing... bowling similar...to have all types of skill entrants handicap systems are usually set for the league/centre ability/toughness ... in my experience 100% of 200 always favours the lower averages because a lucky double or bad conditions where high averages can't carry then we are sunk....but 80% of 200 is too much the other way, thats why 90% seems to hit our mark for the last decade or so, as it gives a bit for each at different times of the year, so it evens out, it seems best at the moment until something better is invented. so when you look at it a 190 ave loses 1 pin h'cap and a 120 loses 8 pins....(difference being 7) less than a spare so its probably the closest to fairest out of the lot...a matter of opinion I suppose depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Back
Top Bottom