Gold Coast Roll-offs

Sean M

Maybe Andrew S can help out here but has there been any talk of when the rolloffs will be held for Assoc. Team Challenge for the Gold Coast? Thanks.

G'day Sean The roll-offs are at Ashmore check-in 2.30 Sat 7 Feb, and Tweed check-in 9.30 Sun 8 Feb. Nominations close 18 Jan.
Cost $100, deposit $10 when you send in your nomination. 8 games in each.
And when you make the team you will be required to go to bed a bloody site earlier than when you put your post on here.

Andrew,

Are the roll offs still on?

I have heard that nominations a down on past years and that maybe there is no need for a roll off.

Maybe you could post details on who has nominated this year for both male and female teams.

If the rumours are correct it’s a sad day for the association challenge. The Gold Coast has always been well represented in this event but we now see a majority of past competitors no longer willing to participate.

It may need a re think from the committee on how a team is selected? I have my own opinion on this subject but that is not for discussion on this forum.

Personally I wish all the best for both teams and I hope they have a great time in Rocky.

As far as i am aware there has been 7 men to nominate and only three women.

The Women being Tanya Stevenson, Kellie Hart and Robina Flynn.

I wish i could be in a position to nominate however due to work commitments this year i am unable to attend, but will be back next year.

I must agree with Jim on the subject of nomination though, maybe we could look at that next year. I think for some people the amount of money that we are required to outlay for the roll offs ($100.00) is a bit much for some people who genuinely want a go and can't afford to do it. I am not one of those because i can afford to do that, but i think that maybe the problem.

Should there be a roll off, i will be up there for a look.......Good Luck to all !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

James I will phone Bill in the morning and get the latest numbers which I will post here.
I actually have to work tomorrow so it may be later in the day. You are quite right about past representatives no longer nominating - but it happens, people move on for whatever reason and I don't think it will hurt the Challenge if the Coast team is brought back to the field a little.
I'm personally sorry you haven't nominated this year Jim, in the years I've been with the Gold Coast squad I can honestly say you were the best captain I ever went away with.
Not to say the others were no good, they were damn good, but you gave a little extra.
Maybe you could be persuaded to nominate for State this year?
7 past the post - no selection - what more could you want?
Even if you have dropped to 223 on Fridays thats quite respectable for Rachuig.
Give it a thought, the seniors can wait another year or two. :D :D

The Gold Coast Committee are meeting on Tuesday night 27th to discuss the nominations and the roll-offs. Those people who have nominated will be contacted on Wednesday or Thursday.

After tonights meeting (Tues 27) it was decided to extend the nomination date until Wed 4 Feb.
A further meeting will be held on Thurs 5 Feb. One of the requirements is that nominees must be at present bowling in league on the Gold Coast, and must also hold an established league average.
This average may have been established last year if insufficient games have been bowled this year.

Thanks for the update Andrew. So I take it all nominations will be told the night before if they are rolling-off. :roll:

Andrew...just one more question......last year the ladies team were short on nominations. The committee extended the nomination period (or reopened it) but the original nominations that were received by the original due date were automatically placed in the team. I was wondering if the same was going to apply this year or is it a case of "different year, different rules!"

I don't know the answer to that question Sean as it hasn't been discussed. However I would imagine that the 2 women who were eligible would go into the team. A roll-off seems unlikely at this stage.
Incidentally your own eligibility is being questioned. Do you bowl in league on the Gold Coast right now?

I received a call last night to find out there are now 8 nominations for the mens team. I was also told that more than likely there will now be a roll-off. So obviously the people that did the right thing in the first place and got their nominations in before the original closing date have not been accepted as an automatic entry into the team. There are alot of not too happy nominees. Even with 8 nominations, don't you think the committee could just select a 7 man team out of that? Why waste $90 each person to have a roll-off just to find out that ONE person has missed out? Going to Rocky will cost enough as it is. Why not use the roll-off money towards a better cause.....that is the expense of going there?

Hi Sean,

You make a very good comment here. I personally think the team should selected this year and for matter every year.

I know of highly regard bowlers who did not nominate this year because of the fee of $100 to roll off. However they would more than likely nominate if the team was selected (just in case you ask no it’s not me). Until a few years ago the Gold Coast selected their team and guess what? every year they won, funny that.

The association decided to change this process because certain bowlers on the coast thought they should make the team. The majority of these bowlers have a much higher regard for their skills than I do and bowling a couple of high games in a centre set up to score does not make you a bowler, I have seen a number of bowlers who have made the team over the past two years fail at the challenge due to their inability to adapt to different lane conditions and their normal "house" shot does not work. Maybe its time for the association to admit they stuffed up and go back to the old system. I feel that if the association does not make steps to address the selection process the Gold Coast will not regain its rightful position as the No1 team in SE QLD.

Here’s an idea if the team was selected who would be in your team. Just to start things off here’s my selection.

David “Noddy” Turnage
Ian “Poppy” Hughes (if he is not off playing lawn bowls)
Paul “the quite one” Dowun (may have spelt his surname wrong)
Harley (Big Boy) Travascus (no idea how to spell his surname)
Anthony “Muscules” Main
Sean "The Spanker" M….. (even he can’t spell his surname)
And of course me the 8th best bowler on the coast

Coach there can be only one the sex god himself Wayne (Little Dick) Kirby
Manager again no real choice here Andrew Shinnie (no one else can take the stick the bowlers dish out like little Andrew)

It's a two way street Sean.
There are also some not too happy committee members. Some of the nominations were not considered to be eligible and the committee met and decided to give those bowlers every chance to become eligible. Sure one nomination arrived by mail 1 day after the closing date. 2 others were not to our knowledge even bowling in a registered league on the Gold Coast. You are one of those. We tried to do the right thing by the bowlers, we didn't want to exclude anyone just for the sake of being bloody minded. If any of those dissatisfied bowlers would care to put in a written complaint or protest, it will be earnestly considered.
Regarding selection, we have been down that road in the past and the number of complaints was unbelievable. Bias, favouritism and heaven knows what else. If however you and the other not too happy nominees feel strongly about it why don't you have a meeting amongst yourselves and persuade someone to withdraw from the team?
At least that way you can't blame the committee.

Nice post James but a bit idealistic. Noddy goes to the Melbourne Cup, Paul Downham isn't allowed to nominate for anything (Wife approval factor) and Wayne should be in the team not coaching it.
And anyway since when did you lot need a coach?

Sean I didn't mean to sound harsh, :2gunfire: I'm sorry.

Andrew

My list was hypothetical however re David maybe you should ask him you may be surprised at the answer.

If Paul balls can’t make the trip (bowling ones that is) a great replacement would be the man who can handle the heat and the girls:-

Matt “Chick Magnet” Middlemass He can always be relied to spare the 10pin when you need it most.

I most certainly need a coach who else will be my drink bitch and tell me how good I am.

Yes true....I don't think the Melb Cup is the real reason why Noddy doesn't bowl assoc challenge any more but thats another story,

Well it seems we are hearing talks about the mens team.....but whats happening with the womens? Are we even fielding a team this year?

I received a phone call from a committee member on monday night and i told that member that if i was needed that i would be prepared to go to my boss and seek some changes in things at work...but only if the women were short.

Nice team Jimbo, i couldn't have picked it better myself and totally agree with the "Chick Magnet" comment....i reckon some persuding would get Middlemiss's shoes back on for the coast.

So Andrew...can you let us know whats doin with the Women... :?:

:lol: :roll: :D 8)

Back
Top Bottom