future of skins league

sam.t

Hi All
The skins league will be completed soon. I know I have some ideas about how we could change it to improve it - What are yours?
Is the number of games right? (8)
Is the price right? ($40 at the moment)
Is the time slot right? (8:30am)
Is the day right? (Sunday)
Is the prize fund suitable for the entry fee? remember the more you pay out = the more it costs to bowl....
Is the league too spread out? too hard to tell if its close and who is winning?
Should the money be paid out each time?
Should it be a league with the same players or just a (bi)monthly tournament? (taking the first 24 names each time?)
Should we have different conditions each time? or the same?
These are just some questions I have thought of - do you have some more? send me an email, pm or post reply with some ideas. constructive criticism is allowed - but provide an alternative - be realistic.
If the league resumes it will probably be a month or two after this one finishes. Remember in WA we have very few tournaments at all and Fairlanes are prepared to run this again - so they need your feedback to design a league the bowlers want and will benefit from and support.

sam

As a league it doesn't seem to be working, every 3rd or 4th bowler doesn't turn up which makes me feel disappointed.
Maybe it should be a new competition each month with the first 24 people signed up (and paid?) to compete. Someone who might not want to bowl every month or doesn't think they are competitive enough to fork out every month can have a go then.
For some the number of games might seem too many. Maybe limit it to 6 games. We could also start a little later that way. (I know some ppl would like that).
I know they are hard to get, but a sponsor putting up a little $$$ (even just $20 a game) would make it more enticing. Maybe fairlanes could find space somewhere to list sponsors or allow them to display business cards? I would pay $20 a month to have my business cards displayed. Its a busy place!
In short:
$40 entry
6 games
$60 - $100 a skin ($40 < 11 pins, rest to last game jackpot)
no contracts
money paid on the day
9am start.
lane condition: Different layouts are great. No one wins all the time.
I think this would work and that getting numbers wouldn't be very hard. If we have to pay before securing spot, I wouldn't mind so much if people didn't turn up. The prize fund is secured and its easier to win :)
What do you think?

I would bowl this league again if the dates ARE NOT on the same dates as national youth events. As i prioritise these national events over the skins league, hence the reason i have only bowled 2.

I think the money could be paid out every week. Keep entry fee same, Make it 1st 24 people each week to nominate (or take as many people that are willing to bowl all of them provided the dates suit them). Lay down different conditions as it provides a challenge to everyone each time we bowl knowing its not the same condition as last time.

Thats my 2c worth

Matty

ratty133 said:
I would bowl this league again if the dates ARE NOT on the same dates as national youth events. As i prioritise these national events over the skins league, hence the reason i have only bowled 2.
I think the money could be paid out every week. Keep entry fee same, Make it 1st 24 people each week to nominate (or take as many people that are willing to bowl all of them provided the dates suit them). Lay down different conditions as it provides a challenge to everyone each time we bowl knowing its not the same condition as last time.
Thats my 2c worth
Matty

Agreed..... same as matt

I don't know how many youth events there are but if the combined adult and youth events clash too often meaning the competition can't be held at a regular interval, then using the format I suggested we should just make it say the first sunday of the month and forget about trying to schedule around events. It would be good to see different faces for each event anyway.

Changing dates really sucks. I have a regular sunday activity that I need to find a replacement for when I bowl so when the date changes I have to stuff other people around.

The changing lane conditions each week should definitely stay. It gives everyone a shot at winning a skin or two. Some people may bowl better on long oil, so they pick up a few skins, and others might be more suited to the shorter stuff. Everyone gets a chance.

I don't agree with the changing it to 6 games though. 8 games is better. The condition changes more throughout the day. Makes it a bit more of a challenge. Or if you are going to make it 6 then perhaps change lanes after every game, and not just every 2 games.

Personally, I quite like the current format. Though it is a shame when an event starts and the house is only 3/4 full.

Having the money paid out at the end of the season is quite handy if there's a major coming up - like currently being paid out 2wks before Perth Cup. It subsidises the entry fee which means people aren't hit as hard in their pockets when that weekend comes around.

The price is fine. Timeslot isn't too bad considering the skins at the moment need to be finished by 11am - still gives you the rest of the day to do something. Entry fee is fine considering the payout. Keep the high series bonus at the end of each event too. Still gives you a chance to cash if you've been unfortunate to not pick up a skin.

Well thats my thoughts done.

Luke

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the positive feedback and useful suggestions.

A few comments to clarify..
1. The league was initially scheduled and dated in november/december last year before the 2006 calendar was released, we did try to avoid as many known tournaments. Unfortunately some clashes were likely. The early move in dates was made by Alan to assist the shield players but this caused others to miss out which was unfortunate so we were not keen to change any other dates. This latest date change has been by Fairlanes as the clash is a state tournament. Unfortunate and unavoidable.
2. The monthly league design was to try and cover those bowlers who didn't want to commit to a weekly league but still bowl rachuig/youth/etc. however our state association made a ruling on the rachuig forms that you had to bowl a "weekly league" this year so this was not really required. It was also sanctioned for high game awards should they bowl. it would be quite easy to make it a 'tournament event' instead and easier to manage.
3. I think the idea of making it a regular tournament (rather than league) is good as it covers the prizefund - however we couldn't pay out the current figures if it was a one-off tournament without sponsorship - your contract fee and fairlanes generosity is assisting make the prizefund as good as it is for the entry fee.

On a lighter note:

Skins is this sunday - don't forget.

after 4 weeks, the final games will be worth a minimum of $130 (for a full skin) due to the carryover jackpots so far. after this weekend i will publish a revised list based on current financial status of the league and number of jackpots. not bad for $40 entry...

see you all sunday

Back
Top Bottom