Early retirement

StrikerMatt

Hey all

I am starting to fall down easily on ten pin bowling already. For the past 3 weeks my scores went on downhill too far easily. I averaged 177 and now averaged 105. So i have Caboolture this weekend and then i finish bowling. I have to try to get refunds of the membership such as TBA, deaf tenpin aust association and deaf qld sports for 2011.

So other thing is i am going to sell my stuff including:

Hammer Plague 13lb @ $290
Columbia Jazz 12lb @ $110
Denver one ball bag @ $40
Denver small undies ball bag $10
Right arm small grip @ $5
Other misc stuff package @ $5

If anyone wanted to buy all of this stuff must remember these balls are already drilled. My hands is skinny one!! The stuff will be available from mid January. I know this is wrong place to advertise but i dont know how to do it right on this forums.

Cheers Matt

No it doesnt, i tried cricket, soccer and tennis for past few years. Nothing likes me and people always so rude and picky on me. So tenpin is huge concern because i couldnt get my anger away from being rubbish on the lane. I used the anger management strategies and that but it has not helped at all. My performance is worsening alot.

Ahhh you give up to easy Matt. No point spending all that money then "retiring".

What if you bowl avg of 180 this weekend? Will you change your mind?

You won't get refunds on any of the associations you have joined and nor should you IMO. Not being rude just Honest.

Good luck.

Hey all

I am starting to fall down easily on ten pin bowling already. For the past 3 weeks my scores went on downhill too far easily. I averaged 177 and now averaged 105. So i have Caboolture this weekend and then i finish bowling. I have to try to get refunds of the membership such as TBA, deaf tenpin aust association and deaf qld sports for 2011.

So other thing is i am going to sell my stuff including:

Hammer Plague 13lb @ $290
Columbia Jazz 12lb @ $110
Denver one ball bag @ $40
Denver small undies ball bag $10
Right arm small grip @ $5
Other misc stuff package @ $5

If anyone wanted to buy all of this stuff must remember these balls are already drilled. My hands is skinny one!! The stuff will be available from mid January. I know this is wrong place to advertise but i dont know how to do it right on this forums.

Cheers Matt

Matt,

Everyone goes through slumps and lots of people cop rudeness etc. The old saying "What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger" is very appropriate in this case. If people's rudeness causes you to retire, then they have won.

I've copped more than my fair share of sledging, taunting and insults during my career, including from national selectors and former ATBC office holders, and it only inspires me to become a better and mentally stronger player and person.

Of course it's your decision, but I wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

Hey Matt, I know nothing about you, but I hate to see someone give up so quick over something that can be fixed so easily. Granted dropping from 177 to 105 may seem un redeemable, it really isn't. You may simply be coming over top of the ball, chicken winging it, dropping your shoulder, or trying to trow the wrong ball on the wrong lane conditions. Any number of things could cause your problem. One of the best ways to find out what you're doing wrong is to take a lesson or two. If money is tight then try video taping your self and watch what you are doing wrong. Sometimes the simplest things can create the worst problems. Good luck with what ever you choose to do, but I'd rather see you hang in there, and work this thing out.

Also Matt you mention how your average has dropped from 177 to 105....this is simply not possible,

If you bowl on a wednesday night and shoot 3 games of 170 (510 series) your avg on Wed is 170.

Then on Thursday night you have a bad night and bowl 3 games of 105 (315 series) your avg on Thu is 105.... but your ACTUAL AVG is 137.50

Remember to base your average on more than just a few games try comparing your league avg at the end of everymonth to the end of the previous month to see a better indication of how you are tracking.

Yes Matt, Roysa is right. It seems you take your average after each session not including the previous games. An average should be based on many months of bowling, not just 3-4 games. Try settling into a league for a season or 2 and build up your skills and consistency, just have a bit of fun with your bowling friends and steer clear of the tournaments for a little while. You will not increase your ave overnight like you are wishing, most guys in the events you speak of have been out there bowling for many many years and have a solid and reliable technique, you are just aiming to high at the moment. Give yourself some time and relax a little, nothing good will come from such a hasty decision.
PS, second hand bowling balls barely sell for half of their purchase price.
All the best, Paul.

Matt
I was really sorry to read your post. From other posts you have made we all know that you try really hard. Its never easy for Disability Sports Persons no matter what the Sport and most of us have no idea what you go through.

You are possibly the only Disability Bowler who participates on this forum and that goes a long way towards demonstrating your enthusiasm.
As a result of your posts the members of this forum accept you for what you are; none of us worry what you average whether it be 105 or 200, you're still in there trying and thats what counts.

Matt we all have bad periods, its how we handle those bad periods that determines our future not just in Sport but in life.

Please re-consider and if I can do anything to help you, anything at all, please contact me by pm or email.
Sincerely,
Andrew Shinnie State Secretary Qld.

Matt,
You shouldn't give up... Have you thought about some coaching to get your average back up again - I'm not sure where you bowl but usually the local balldriller can also give you some coaching sessions/helpful hints.

Good luck!

No it doesnt, i tried cricket, soccer and tennis for past few years. Nothing likes me and people always so rude and picky on me..

Mat, did you get these sorts of messages of support and encouragement from people in cricket, soccer and tennis, when you decided to quit? I'd be surprised if you did.

You do say some things from time to time which get people's backs up, you know, so there are reasons sometimes why people seem rude to you. We all have to put up with some people being less than nice to us, remembering we are sometimes less than nice to them.

On the other side of the ledger, there are a lot of people on this site, on your various posts, who have really made great efforts to be helpful to you in any way they can. Think very carefully before you throw this goodwill towards you away.

Jim

THanks everyone. Well other issue is about the money. IM starting to broke this new year 2011 because all the fees gone up at college accommodation at JCU. I have to pay 950bucks before 14th Jan to get in to live there, i have to pay around 500bucks for the windscreem of my car which i accidetly stupid broke it last night, and bowling will makeme broke even more!!!

I got petrol to use to drive back to Townsville which averages 130bucks including 75bucks for gladstone motel. Other concern is i couldnt get a job at all!!!! I tried million of places of places for long time. Life isnt helpful. Hence why im going broke.

maybe a bit of a break from bowling to get everything back together Matt?

Im talking maybe a few weeks? ever 2 weeks or so, go have 2 or 3 games just to keep you in the groove?

Do you have a local grocery store or something in your area, I'm sure the jobs are around :)

Hi, Mat, Yes, you're goimg through a very difficuly time at the moment. It will get better, and sometimes it may even get worse. That's what happens.

Probably you will have more difficulty than most people doing this, but please, Mat please, try to stop, or at least slow down your tendency to see things in sharp focus Black and White. ( Like " I am on Fire", and " Early Retirement." ) and some of your other posts, where one minute everything is perfect and in an instant everything is terrible.

The truth is that it was never as good or as bad as you felt about it. Mat, this won't be easy - you'll really have to work on looking for balance in the things that happen to you. And probably none of us can help you much with that - it' going to be up to you.

Don't you have anyone close to you that you can get support from? That you can 'bounce' your feelings and thoughts off?

What Ryan E said is also what you should consider seriously. That is, just slow down a bit on the bowling at the moment,'til you get some of the other things in your life sorted out a bit.

I know that getting some employment is a problem. I presume you're talking about Townsville when you get back to Uni ? No help there from any group associated with the Uni?

Anyhow, do your best to get over one difficulty at a time. Try not to roll them all together, as that way they look bigger than they are.

Have a little rest from bowling, Mat - but do come back in 2011.

Jim.

Hi Matt, sorry to hear about all your troubles. Chin up, and hopefully things will even out. If you are driving north in the next couple of days, you may want to delay your journey because you may only get as far as Gladstone. Rockhampton is going to be cut off from the south this weekend and may be until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Good luck.

Others have covered most of what I would have said, but I would like to add one thing. Remember, bowling is a sport that u can very easily come back to, and to reiterate a previous point in a post, lessons, even a monthly one would be advantageous to your game while your learning..

I too get discouraged when I'm not scoring well, I have been bowling 10 yrs, now, I could have quit a dozen times when I'm stuck in a slump.. Guess what u inevitably come out of them, and life goes on, and roses still smell sweet..And your average does pick up.

My advice Matt, have a break, get yourself sorted out, then come back, because it sounds like u are keen, and want to improve, and u know what, if u continue u will!!!

Hey Matt, you've gotten a lot of great advise from a lot of good people here. The only thing I could ad to this is that in the game of life, failure is not an option. In other words, take each problem one at a time and work through it, no matter what it takes. As for averages, I've had foot surgery 2 years in a row, both times in the middle of the season. First year I left with a 191 average, returned 4 months later and ended with a 179. The only reason it ended at 179 is 'cause the season ran out. It was much lower than that during the summer league, but I rebuilt it to a 195 this year, then I left for foot surgery again. And it doesn't bother me 'cause I know I'll be back next year with an even higher average. Matt the way I look at life is if I take 5 steps forward, and slide back 4 I'm still 1 step ahead. Hang in there Matt, life will work out for you, I got faith in you.

hey matt us bolwers all go though up's and downs.mate i know what u are going thru.it happens to all bowlers.the main thing is never give up and keep trying.i am a deaf bowler as well i had my up's and downs as well.so dont retire we love to see u down at tassie for the 2011 australian deaf champs i'm going as well.i hope to see u there!

Back
Top Bottom