Does anyone ever break even?

D

dejinshathe

Okay, so I'm a beginner bowler. I started in May just gone and I was really excited last night, because for the very first time, I bowled two games over 150 pins in a row, instead of a 164 folowed by a 91 like I usually do ...

Yeah, beginner bowler.

Not the point, though. I realise that no-one takes this game up for the money or with a plan of replacing their day job with the income of a pro circuit bowler. As a beginner, I'm just starting to spend money on things like my second ball, coaching, etc. I'm not thinking that one day I'll recoup that money - I'm spending it because I love bowling. That being said, there appear to be some tournaments around in Australia and Asia and even further afield that have decent prize purses. I'm not even thinking about things like the PBA tour and High Roller events in the States.

So my question is this: does anyone here think they're breaking even - or profiting from being a bowler? - taking into account the price of balls, shoes, bags, coaching, travel and tournament entry fees ...

heya
when i was a junior like around early nineties
i used to work in a centre and got things like balls shoes etc cheap and very cheap lol practise games so what money i won in skins and leagues i probably did break even maybe
but now since i have come back this year ive bought second hand balls to start with and entered handicapped tourneys
and havent broke even for the year to date but the money i have won has givin me cheap practise against and with some very good bowlers which normally youd have to pay good money for
hope that helps
started to lose track myself
lol
daniel

Have broken even a few times with leagues, high roller leagues paying decent money (over a grand each), plus any high game awards and side pots, i think i broke even twice, and thats been in quite a few years of bowling.

I dont know of many sports that see people break even, even a lot of "mainstream" sports dont return those sort of results, if they do its maybe the top 3 % that even get close to it. 9 times out of 10, if it wasnt for sponsorship they couldnt continue to participate.

i was actually talking to someone today at a fund raising pool comp how much money there is in pool comps compared to bowling only cause the running cost involved i play in a pool league every tuesday 2 seasons a year all up at $30 a team of 4 every week for 16 weeks it costs our team $480 to play a season we win $1500 for the team a season we have won 2 seasons in a row and are on top of the ladder this season with 8 weeks to go
so with this sport we have broken even
daniel

Have broken even or been ahead for leagues/ tournaments combined a couple of times. Picked up $1300 for winning a youth league at Cannington 2 yrs ago. In 04 winnings paid for the enxt tournaments flights. Thats always nice when you don't have to scrounge ou of your own pocket to do what you love!!

Back
Top Bottom