Do you look at scoresheets before bowling in squads?

Do you look at scoresheets before squads?

• Yes, I like to know what scores I need

Votes: 70 78.7%
  • No, I find it distracts me

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters

The Insider

Trophy Collector
When bowling in tournaments, do you look at the scoresheets to see what you need to bowl before your squad, or do you bowl your squad and then check to see where you place?

I'm discussing this with a few bowlers at present and I was just wondering what TB members do. If possible, could you also add your reasons.

If i am bowling in a later squad, i like to see what others have bowled to get a reading of the lanes and to see approx what i have to bowl to make the cut ( have not got anywhere yet lol)

I find it helps to know if its going to be a grind out or a carry fest as that helps me attune mentally to what I am going to be faced with. Too often in my early years in tournaments, I would get frustrated by not scoring as well as I thought I should which would adversely effect my game, only to find out later that everyone else was struggling as well. Had I known that it was tough for everyone else, I would have been less frustrated at my own struggles and probably would have made the cut. There is nothing worse than thinking that I might need 210 to make the cut only to find out the card would hav been sufficient.

Caveat here:

This philosophy might not work for everyone. It depends on your mental strength and how well you know your game, but I find it works for me as I can generally grind out if necessary or free wheel a high score if thats what is necessary. You need to find out which works best for you.

Majority of the time i bowl A Squad, so i set the pace rather than try to catch.
But sometimes you dont even think about looking, just to eager to bowl.

Personally I agree with Brenton, it helps to know when you're fighting hard just to make card that the rest of the field is struggling just as much.

As a TD though I have observed that a great many people don't want to know, as they find it adversely affects them in one of the following ways;
1. Well in the cut - pressure is off and carelessness creeps in
2. Well outside - give up, makes it even worse
3. Just in or just out - pressure is now on big, some choke and some excel...

Which is why anyone who has bowled in something I'm providing scores for will notice I either hand the sheet to someone who wants it, or I put it face down in the area so you have the choice to read it or not

Jeff is 100% on this comments. He knows how I did last time I read a standing sheet. :p
I remember bowling in the Restricted Masters in Queanbeyan back in December and I was running 2nd or 3rd. I claimed to Jeff that it doesn't affect me, but I think it did. I ended up second last. I didnt feel pressure, but my game suffered. Either way though, I had my name down for Open Masters and won that anyway :p
Thanks Jeff!!!

In my '110 years' of bowling, I never looked at the score sheets. Not even in matchplay. If you are good enough you will win. 'How easy is that.' I used to hate people coming up and saying, you are running 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I would say,gee thanks, just what I wanted to hear,then the ear plugs went in.

Cheers Lovey

Some bowlers thrive on pressure. Others fold up like a wet handkerchief.

I'm with Brenton on this one. I like to know what the scoring pace is like, so that I can gear myself up for whatever is needed. No need to just 'keep the ball in play' on a shootout. Conversely, if it's a grind out condition, you shouldn't feel any panic if you have a bad game or two.

You have no opponent in bowling other than the pins. Bowl the best you can bowl and the wins will come.

I tend to use standing sheets as a source of motivation in tournaments. Sometimes it works, other times it is more of a frustration if the scoring pace is high and you can only grind it out.

What I find more annoying is if you bowl in an early squad and think you bowled well, only to discover that other bowlers smashed the scoring pace later on and you miss out...

Myself, I like to be aware of everything that is happening. This is similar to the theory of watching bowlers in earlier squads. If you can identify a 'killer' line to attack, then you might perform better, but at the same time, you can be easily distracted. Each to their own though.

I do look at scoresheet updates if they are provided. I want to know whether there is a realistic chance to cut or cash still or not.

With regards to watching other people bowl in earlier squads I will do this if the opportunity arises however as I tend to bowl A Squads this is in most cases not available. When it is I will look at the scoresheet to see how that bowler did when the lanes started to go through transition and just don't take it for granted that the shot is going to be there all the way through. This is even more important if the lanes are not going to be re-oiled before I bowl.

I try not to but i mainly found myself doing that.

For Masters i will try my hardest not to but someone will always tell me how i'm going and when that happens i tell them to piss off

Carrying on from my earlier post:

As the scores or results are freely provided by not looking at them you may be missing an opportunity to perform the best you can in an event. In the results you in most cases can find a way to improve your performance if you are experienced enough to find it.

You don't just look at your scores but at other bowlers who bowl the same as you or bowlers bowling different lines or angles of attack. Can you play the same shot or are they bowling similar to what you have bowled before succesfully in a previous event.

Bowling is about repetition. That not only applies for shotmaking it also applies for a bowlers tournament routine. I try to use everything I can to ensure I bowl at my absolute best on the day.

Try to look at things in a different perspective. Look at the results as window of opportunity before you have actually finished bowling in your squad as once you release your final ball it is too late.

Brenton has been around since the dinosaurs, in fact he may even be the original bowlasaurus - and what he says is right on the money, looking at scores or not looking at them has its own benefits and problems which you could rue later on.
People are made up of two types, runners and chasers, you need to know which one you are - if you like not having the thought of chasing - then bowl first and let all of the worries dissappear and just post whatever you get, how you attack that, both physically and mentally, is the difference of where you finish, chasers like to know what they need and adjust their methodology to suit, so if its tough they tough it out if not they know they can loosen up a bit and just go for it. Looking at what the previous squad has done gives and indication of how you should play, looking at update scores as you bowl can play real tricks on your mind and blow you out of the water especially if you don't look at them in the proper perspective. Normally runners don't make good chasers and visa versa, it takes training to be reasonable at both - I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with brenton, look at how other people are coping, if you see frustration then learn from that and adjust your game rather than pressuring yourself to HAVE to bowl a 230 or so ave last 3 games to cut- as I tell my junior development squad "if you keep your head, while everyone loses theirs, at the end of the day you will be the tallest in the room" - To look or not to look that is the question, how you handle the answer is another matter - good luck

For the first time ever, I bowled in a Masters final without looking at the scoresheets at any time on the weekend, and I was surprised how much better my scores were.

Maybe that's the way to go from now on :D

Thanks for all your responses!

Back
Top Bottom