• No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
N

nado

A little out of context, I know :)

I'm wondering if seniors find the words "nan", "nana", "pop", "pa", "grandparents" etc to be offensive in some way?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning on creating a seniors site, however most of the domains using the word "seniors" are gone... so I'm wondering how seniors feel about the above mentioned words etc.

cheers
nathan

Dear Nathan

I maybe a senior but I am not yet a nan, nanna, or grandma and certainly can wait a while longer to be one.

;) ;) ;)

Regards Susanne

Nathan,
Following on from Susanne's comments, each of your suggestions implies that the "senior" has children, which will not necessarily be the case.
Depending on how the words are used, they could alienate the very people you wish to access your site.
Jennie :)

I am a granddad or pop or poppy to my grand kids and i dont find it offensive to be called this by them , but if you or someone else in bowling alley did i could get upset but i dont see the drama, to me its a part of life.

I don't find the terms offensive but I not sure in what context you could use them in relation to a web site when "seniors" covers a much wider group of people.

Nathan, if you would let us know in what context they would be used maybe we could be of more help.

;) ;) ;)

Regards
Susanne

Nanna, Poppy etc. are personal terms in my opinion - for business, sporting and parking terms, surely Seniors is a valid name to apply - there are Senior Cards for all sorts of discounts and it is a title to be proud of - we have earned it!!!! and paid for it!!!! As a senior, I am attracted to advertisements, freebies and information for my age group -

Flower

I have to agree with Mary, they are personal names of endearment. I think Seniors is fine, I am loving it as there is still so much of life to live yet and I am much better prepared now.

FLOWER said:
Nanna, Poppy etc. are personal terms in my opinion - for business, sporting and parking terms, surely Seniors is a valid name to apply - there are Senior Cards for all sorts of discounts and it is a title to be proud of - we have earned it!!!! and paid for it!!!! As a senior, I am attracted to advertisements, freebies and information for my age group -
Flower

"XXXX - The senior's beer"... Now that's an advertising concept! Can't believe they haven't "tapped" that market Mary!

I'm a Pa & proud of it. I have friends well into their 30's that call me Pa or Pop & I don't have a problem with it when it's used as a term of endearment......maybe I'm just a little different.

nado said:
A little out of context, I know :)
I'm wondering if seniors find the words "nan", "nana", "pop", "pa", "grandparents" etc to be offensive in some way?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning on creating a seniors site, however most of the domains using the word "seniors" are gone... so I'm wondering how seniors feel about the above mentioned words etc.
cheers
nathan
Why do you want to create a Seniors site anyway? Isn't this site good enough? There are other Senior sites, including ATBSO, that fill in gaps missed on TotalBowling.:confused:

Think I would prefer a non relative term, however if all else fails maybe the Mammas and Pappas are in.

Back
Top Bottom