Definition of a session of continuous games - for surface alteration purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Tiger

I came across this in the TBA rulebook and found it interesting. Previously, I (and I am sure many others), thought a session of continuous games was a run of games all bowled in a row (eg - 10 games of qualifying in a tournament, games of matchplay, etc).

This is not true.

Taken from the TBA Rulebook:

RULE 128 SESSION OF GAMES - DEFINITION
A session of continuous games play concludes when a participant changes lanes or opponents. For example, in scenarios
1 and 2, the session of games concludes when a match concludes. In scenario 3, each lane change begins a new session.
1. 15 game in a singles matchplay final changing lanes every match.
2. A number of five man teams playing each other once, changing lanes every match.
3. A number of five man teams playing a match based on total pinfall over six games, bowled in blocks of 2,
changing lanes after each 2 games.

Therefore, you are perfectly entitled to clean your equipment between blocks in qualifying in a tournament, and can also alter the coverstock in any way you wish (scuff up, etc).

I dare say there are a lot of people that are not aware that you can do this.

No, i certainly wasn't aware of it. I guess this changes the way a lot of bowlers plan on bowling on different lanes now.

very interesting find, as if i understand means that every bowler bowling in a tornament can clean there ball before each block, can we get clarrification on this from some one in the know

Also means one can have a beer or nip out for a quick smoke after your block is complete............

That makes a lot of sense and will get a lot of people more interested in bowling tournaments.

Previously I enforced a session as it's logically viewed - 10 games in 5 blocks of 2 games is one session generally, any of the trophy events that do qualifying I would treat that way.

Recently at the Holt trials I made it very explicitly clear to the bowlers, apparently in error, that they were bowling ONE session, of SEVEN games, in ONE game blocks for their trials.

The reason is, this rule was just introduced in the latest revision to suit the WTBA apparently. I will now review and familiarise myself with any changes in this latest revision, perhaps we need a way of alerting the administrators when rules change from above? I don't bother trying to find anything on the TBA site anymore, I certainly wasn't aware we'd had another revision in November.

Max said:
Also means one can ... nip out for a quick smoke
Nope, actually rule 214 (also revised in the latest edition) still bans smoking in tournament qualifying. In fact if taken literally, you can't smoke from the first ball of warm-up until the end of the day - I'm sure that should be interpreted as meaning the last game the participant is involved with on that day... Didn't notice anything on the beer :p

Just an afterthought, this also means that formats where a number of bowlers on a pair eliminate each other over a few games actually restart their session with each opponent.

I forget the event, but there was an elimination event where six bowlers bowled on a pair, lowest score out each game (so after four games, two bowlers shoot out the winner on the pair). Each game is a session apparently, so after the first bowler is eliminated everyone can stop and treat their equipment before starting the next game on the same pair.

Excellent find, EasyTiger.

Some people wouldn't agree, but it's amazing what cleaning your gear between sessions can do.

i dont understand why drinking during tournaments is banned.

I have never seen a rule during a drinking contest where your not allowed to bowl in between drinks

Nope, actually rule 214 (also revised in the latest edition) still bans smoking in tournament qualifying. In fact if taken literally, you can't smoke from the first ball of warm-up until the end of the day - I'm sure that should be interpreted as meaning the last game the participant is involved with on that day... Didn't notice anything on the beer :p

Well, sorry to say - but if that is how narrow minded this sport is, I certainly won't be bowling any tournaments of more than 3 game sessions anymore. Also know of 2 other bowlers who thought they would have a go, but not any more. That's 3 bowlers to start with..........

Wake up bowling.........

Only in tournament qualifying? What about during a tournament?

here is a question,

giving way in tornament bowling, I have found that a lot of top bowlers preferr 2 lanes instead of the normal one, I dont mind either way but It can take long when giving 2 lanes

here is a question,
giving way in tornament bowling, I have found that a lot of top bowlers preferr 2 lanes instead of the normal one, I dont mind either way but It can take long when giving 2 lanes
giving way 2 lanes is too slow imho..

1 is all it should be.

One lane give way should be sufficient for all bowlers. If not maybe your focus is not where it should be or maybe other bowlers are riding their lanes too far.

Only in tournament qualifying? What about during a tournament?
Sorry, that too. It actually says during the day.
TBA Rule Book said:
RULE 214 SMOKING
TBA recommends that smoking by participants in League be prohibited whilst the league is competing.
In tournaments, smoking is prohibited by all participants from when the first ball is bowled in the event warm-up until
the last ball is bowled by the last competitor on that day, or in the case of a multi day event, the announcement that the
days play has concluded.

Well, sorry to say - but if that is how narrow minded this sport is, I certainly won't be bowling any tournaments of more than 3 game sessions anymore. Also know of 2 other bowlers who thought they would have a go, but not any more. That's 3 bowlers to start with..........
Wake up bowling.........
{blink..?}

O.K. This isn't personal Max, it's for all smokers.

These things are killing you while making you smell like an ash tray!!
WAKE UP SMOKERS!!
You'll get to taste your food again!

Then the rule won't bother anyone anymore!

Back to topic though. The only surface adjustment I can think of from the last few tournaments I've been to would be to dip a ball in silicone! If you want more friction than the market has on offer currently, invest in coaching!

One lane give way should be sufficient for all bowlers. If not maybe your focus is not where it should be or maybe other bowlers are riding their lanes too far.

lol i agree but in most tornaments ie brunswick and some of the other tornaments bowlers get annoyed if u give 1 lane as they want 2 lanes, i have been told of on many occassion for giving 1 and not 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom