David Rosser wins the 2006 BMW NSW Country Open

BMW+BOWLING

Without going into too many details at this time (I'll probably post some later), I'd like to be the first to congratulate David Rosser (from Orange) on winning the 2006 BMW NSW Country Open which was bowled on the weekend at Orange TenPin Bowl.
I know I'm biased (being one of the Tournament Directors!), but this tournament continues to go from strength to strength, and improving all the time. And the 2006 tournament was no different.
51 bowlers lined up across the 2 squads on Saturday, and after the 10 games qualifying, David sat atop the list.
The Top 32 qualifiers lined up on Day 2, for another 6 games; cut to the Top 16, for another 4 games; cut to the Top 10 (a slight change to the normal format of cutting to the Top 8 ... the TD's decided ... before the tournament ... to give 2 extra bowlers a chance), and the last 4 games race to the finish.
And whilst many (including myself) thought that David wouldn't be able to defend his top position to the end against some notable (and formidable) opponents in the field (Shaun Cummings, Sam Romeo, Jarrod Lean, Tony Murray, Andrew Lloyd, Craig Bourke, Matt Riley .. and more), HE DID!
And after 23 games, and 9 frames, it came down to the last frame of the tournament (in fact, it actually came down to the 2nd ball of the 10th frame for both David and Shaun Cummings ... because they both threw a strike for their first ball in the tenth!!) before the winner was decided.
Congratulations Dave; and (very) well bowled. When Shaun put his 'focus face' on ... we all thought he'd catch you. And whilst he (Shaun) bowled brilliantly to 'take it to you', you responded magnificently.
And btw; I think we were ALL watching Chris Thomas as well. To come from about 50 under after qualifying (I don't have the exact details at hand), and bowl about a gazillion over on Day 2 ... and then almost throw a 300 for the last game ... it was superb to watch you all.
It was a great tournament. And Dave; you were a worthy winner.
Well done.
Frank van den Berg

Back
Top Bottom